Accessing intermediate care post total knee replacement surg

Moomin
Moomin Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2014, 10:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

Apologies if this post appears twice, but the initial one disappeared...

Anyway, I wondered if anyone can help or has experience the same thing?

My mother has just had tkr surgery and is still in hospital awaiting to be discharged.
They have referred her to have a social services assessment, but what we feel would be more appropriate would be a package of intermediate care.

However, we have been told that my mum is not eligible for intermediate care because she can 'mobilise' and the physio and OT have therefore discharged her and feel she doesn't have any immediate medical needs.

Do you know how we can challenge this? Anyone successfully argued the case previously? I find it laughable that they are saying my mum is mobile given that she is heavily reliant on crutches, in huge amount of pain and moves at a fraction of the normal pace.

I can't seem to find info on eligibility criteria for intermediate care for our local authority (Lambeth). Can anyone advise on general criteria esp in relation to knee replacements?
My mum had a hip replacement over a year ago and then the intermediate care appeared to be automatically provided, no arguments...

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello there.

I can understand your concerns about your Mum. I'm a veteran of 3 TKRs and 2 THRs (I've had RA for most of my life) and I would hate to have been left to my own devices post-surgery (I have a husband and family) but, unless there are other difficulties, I think this is the norm. We did have a lady on here recently who had post-op help but she had a double THR and lived alone in a flat with steps.

Of course, what your Mum really needs is to focus on her exercises and resting and elevating in be tween. What we usually suggest on here is to accept any neighbourly help offered and think in terms of ready meals etc. Whenever I've been alone, post-op, I've ensured I had a table next to me with pills and a flask of tea / juice so that I didn't have to walk unnecessarily.

If you are able I'm sure you could pay for help but I can't say I recall anyone on here getting it provided free other than the bi-lateral hip lady i mentioned. I hope someone will come on and contradict me :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Just a further thought. You wrote:
    Moomin wrote:
    the physio and OT have therefore discharged her

It's not usual to see an OT after one leaves hospital but your Mum should have at least one follow-up physio appointment to ensure all is going well.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    its very hard to get care after an op, unless you pay...I had my THR in July last years and one poor lady lived on her own, the nurses tried all sorts ..making numerous phone calls..anyhow it ended up with her getting 6 days care not sure what it included but you must keep on at them, they do expect family to take on the care.
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Contact your local adult social services and ask for an enablement or rapid response package. However, be aware this may be very limited re timespan - here in Kent you get 3-6 weeks. They will also probably only do one call a day and for half an hour each time. If longer care is needed, there will be a financial assessment and your mother may have to contribute.

If you need further info, please pm me. My mum has a long term care package, but has to contribute a weekly amount.

Oh, nothing will happen quickly so don't expect miracles. Good luck.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I can understand why you are worried about your mam.
    Like some others have said it is not the norm to have follow up once you leave after a....mine was 2 THR's not TKRs :wink:
    What age is your mam? Does she have any other problems? Does she live on her own? Sorry about the questions
    My mam is almost 92, OA, RA takes warfarin for a stroke she had
    Lots of other bits and pieces and she lives on her own....My brother pops in every day to check on her.
    She couldn't get any help until she broke her wrist a few weeks ago {osteoporosis} and cant manage to do buttons and things so someone comes in in the morning and at night to help get her dressed and undressed. That's it :shock:
    Love
    Hileena
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    I think it must depend on the area you live in. My lovely 84 very independent ex neighbour had a tkr 8 weeks ago. She lives on her own in a bungalow with one single step up from kitchen to living room. She came out of hospital after a week with an care package of 2 visits from carers a day. No sooner had she arrived home a decision was made that she couldn't be left and a respite home was found within the hour. She finally came home yesterday after 7weeks In the respite home. I rang her this morning as we had moved house since her op and she was very happy with the care she received praising the staff and the food. I was pleasantly surprised by the way social services stepped in so quickly as we tend to hear negative things rather than positive these days about care for the elderly.
  • Moomin
    Moomin Member Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. In the end and after much battling, we were able to sort out a social services assessment and they have put in place a small package of care which is just fine. It was a struggle at the time trying to get the hospital to agree to the assessment, but, if anyone else reading this is in a similar situation, it was worth being assertive and directly asking for this.
  • stickywicket
    Thank you for the update. That's worth knowing even if it doesn't always work.

I hope your mother is making a good recovery :D
    Steven Wright