back from neurology, very relieved

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 19. Nov 2014, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well the first thing is I don't have MS! I feel very relieved about that as you can imagine. It's also reassuring to know that there is nothing serious wrong with my brain.
The diagnosis is a neuropsychiatric disorder where for some reason my brain itself is blocking the signals, but it doesn't mean I don't have real symptoms/or that I'm imagining things or making it up. They don't know quite why it happens but it can be the brains response to a trauma which doesn't have to be recent. The management is through a multidisciplinary team of physio, OT and psychologist and is likely to be ongoing. I shouldn't get worse in terms of my mobility and may slowly improve. Feeling completely shattered, I thought I was fairly calm about it but now that I've left that worry behind and I'm able to relax I'm realising how stressed I was about it.

Thank you all for your support
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Slosh that is good news about not being MS. I've been skulking around the forum this morning to see if you put anything up. It sounds like there is a thorough plan of action so that is very good news and hopefully means you can start managing and treating it all. Now, feet up, pretend you are at a spa and take lots of deep breaths (and smile). (((((())))))LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That's good news indeed - even though the very healthy might not think so :wink: I'm so pleased. I've been thinking of you all morning.

As for feeling shattered. When my boys were little I was great in a crisis. (They were boys so there were several crises :roll: ) Afterwards I'd just shake uncontrollably for ages.

Tea, rest, a good book and some 'normality' :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    So pleased that it wasn't what you feared, Slosh. It sounds as though they've got a good plan for managing things, so just relax now and enjoy the rest of your day.

Meg
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    That IS such a relief!
    Sounds good too that a plan of action is being put in place for you.
    Now I hope you can relax.

Kirsty xx :)
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That is very good news Slosh, I have been thinking about you all morning, I see people with different stages of MS when I am in getting treatment for my neurological condition and was trying to muster up as much information that I could remember with talking to people but thankfully you wont need the info now. Hopefully you are sitting relaxing now with a nice cup of tea, it must be a bit of a relief for you, at least they have given you a good plan of action. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So pleased for you Slosh. Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Cups of tea and a cream cake were just what was needed. See my GP tomorrow morning for a prescription review and will feedback to him then and then I see my physio in the afternoon. To "celebrate" I have ordered myself a pair of fuschia coloured crutches!
    Bought some cakes to take in to share with the team I work with at school tomorrow.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh Slosh, I am so very pleased for you - I too have been wondering how things went. It`s such a weight off your mind to know it`s not MS - I have two friends with MS, so am aware of the ramifications.

At least the medics seem to have a plan for you to be able to manage the condition, so hopefully you will be well looked after and be able to hope for some improvement, perhaps.

The fuchsia coloured crutches sound very snazzy, and I hope you and your friends enjoy the cakes!

Put your feet up tonight with a nice glass of something,

Tezz x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you, I have had to explain to my OH the difference in meaning between "a management plan" and a cure.

Don't know how long I will have to wait for OT and psych appointments but she did say that the OT as well as looking at how I manage at home will be able to give me advice on learning to pace myself at work.

Very pleased my orths consultant had sent me for my brain MRI ahead of todays appointment as that did help speed things up today.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I apologise for being late to this, I've been out all day. I too am very pleased and relieved - I hope the new course of treatment / management is soon put into place. I will now have a glass of cold grape juice :wink: to celebrate your news! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you DD and all of you.
    I almost went into work today when I got home by 11 with the news, glad I didn't though as apart from the tiredness as a reaction to the appointment, I found I needed the time to process it all. It will be good to see my GP tomorrow and my physio so I can talk things through with them.

Hope you had a good day out DD.
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

Sorry I'm late to this thread :)

I'm pleased for you too and I hope treatment continues apace :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am so very pleased for you slosh...its a massive worry off your mind..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hello Slosh
    i'm so pleased you had good news.you must feel very relieved.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Excellent news. Now you just have to make others understand your challenges in life. Try getting them to read The Spoon Theory or There's a Gorilla in the House.
    Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    That is good news! So glad it is not MS!