Anaemia totally changed me

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 27. Nov 2014, 23:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Seen I've had this extreme Anaemia I'm not me, I've lost the happy go lucky positive me. Now I'm tired all the time can't do my usual things because if I do I'll need to go to bed after because I can't stay awake. For some reason my taste buds and inside of mouth have become sensitive to food with strong taste, example salt and I can't eat anything with slight spice example Korma Curry because it burns the inside of my mouth!! It's made me loose my appetite and I can only eat bland food. This has totally depressed me. My G.P says it can happen in but it's rare.
My poor OH is doing what he can to accommodate my strange eating habits at the moment and he even wants us to go away early January to give me something to look forward to. But at the moment I just want to feel like me again. I'm taking Iron & Folic acid tablets but no change in me yet? Has anyone ever felt like this from Anaemia and how long does it take to go?

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Bubba, is it worth just checking your symptoms with a rheumatology nurse to be sure that you aren't suffering side effects from the sulpha or do they predate the sulpha? I'm no medic but I wonder if not all of your symptoms are anaemia and some are due to a new med and your body coping with that.
    I was on iron tablets at the end of my pregnancy and after the girls were born because I lost a lot of blood during the birth (I just managed to escape a transfusion which I am still heartily glad about). I never felt better on them but then, I had two aliens stealing pretty much any surplus iron I put into my system and I was ghostly pale for months after. I didn't struggle with appetite though.
    I wonder if some of your mood is down to so many things going wrong suddenly - the anaemia, the flare, the finger break. It's a lot to take on and if you can't get out much then it all builds up and doesn't help your mood. As a none medic I prescribe some dark chocolate, a long kitty cuddle and your favourite films or books. If you are stuck in the house then you might as well treat yourself a bit.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I agree with LV, bubba. Maybe it isn't all down to the anaemia? Have the doctors given you any indication if the way you are feeling is normal or if they have seen it before? I understand about feeling down though. When you have all these horrible things and you have no energy it is really easy to start feeling blue. I think LV's suggestion of treating yourself might help a bit. I also find watching a weepy and having a good cry helps! Sorry you are having such a tough time. Sending you big hugs. ((())) xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm with the others. This doesn't sound like the anaemia I've experienced which has always been quickly sorted by a course of iron tablets. I've never heard of extreme anaemia. You sound no better and, indeed, marginally worse. Maybe another check with the doc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen when I was taking MTX - it played absolute havoc with my taste buds - I thought I`d never enjoy food again. I`ve always loved garlic - the stronger the better - but while on MTX I couldn`t bear it anywhere near me. Sometimes my tongue felt "burny" too. I was eventually taken off MTX and my taste buds returned to normal.

With me, a course of iron sorts anaemia out - your problems sound similar to mine, so it would be worth checking.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    A work colleague of mine who was very anaemic used to have weekly iron injections, however she wasn't anything like you describe yourself as feeling which sounds truly awful, I do hope you can get some answers, and start to feel better soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh Bubba I have been lucky and never been anaemic so can't really comment, I think another word with your doc wouldn't do any harm. I sincerely hope you get some answers soon. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I was very anemic during my 3rd pregnancy and had to take extra strong iron tablets. They were enteric coated as the uncoated ones made me very sick. I had to have a transfusion during and after my caesarian section. I don't remember anything like you're describing though, perhaps a visit to your doctor is in order? Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Bubba
    I'm constantly anaemic {am at the minute} a blood transfusion after each THR
    But never felt like you do
    My main things are tiredness, very very heavy limbs. Its an effort to put one leg in front of the other
    I've got OA among other things so cant blame it on any of the RA meds
    Like everyone says....back to your doctor next week is the only suggestion
    Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Sorry to read that you feel so unwell, Bubba. I've never been anaemic, thankfully, but would agree that a trip back to the doctor's with a list of symptoms seems a sensible option. Hope you're soon feeling much better.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I feel like that most of the time thanks to my PsA and its required meds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I'm back to see my G.P on Wednesday morning so will make a list of things to ask her. We've booked a holiday for January so I've got something to look forward to! I think we deserve it, will be off to sunny Dubai hotel stay & cruise! I do hope to sort my taste bud problem by then!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Good luck Bubbadog. Have a lovely time.

I'm anaemic and on iron tabs but am always tired . The only thing I feel has helped me is a steroid injection which I have at the start of the summer hols so that I am awake enough to care for my Son who on the autistic spectrum.
    I haven't noticed any any issues with taste and certainly haven't lost my appetite.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I don't want to be a party pooper but I suggest you get your travel insurance sorted asap. I couldn't get cover for anaemia when it was unresolved (ie the endoscopy was clear so they wanted a colonoscopy but it couldn't be done before I travelled). I took a huge risk that year because, if anything had gone wrong in any way, I'm sure they'd have tied it in neatly to anaemia, the source of which was still unclear and therefore not covered.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi bubba,

I am not anaemic (at-least as per my knowledge :lol: !!!) but diagnosed with vitamin deficiencies. So my GP started me on folic acid and other multivitamin tablets. Since then, I have developed bitter taste in mouth especially in the morning. So, off let I was just wondering, if it has any link with folic acid tablets. I read it could be side effect of folic acid, especially if it is taken in higher doses. However, I didn’t experience like loss of appetite and sensitive taste buds. Sorry, I can’t be of more help. Hope you sort out this issue at earliest.

Love,Tia.