Dumped cats

Options
frogmella
frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
edited 7. Dec 2014, 06:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Did you know that people just dump cats all the time?

Where we walk the dogs we found three cats on the car park in the dark on Monday night. There was one still there on Tuesday morning so I caught her - easily - and brought her home thinking a charity would take her.
Apparently not. They are all full because of all the people that just dump them.
Now she is stuck in a dog cage in our "spare" room because we already have two dogs and two cats. The advice we have been given is to re dump her! Well, I won't.
Taking her to the vets today to see if she is fit and well, and if she is actually a "she". Then I will have to try and integrate her into my multi pet household. I think it will be difficult as there are already tensions - cat on cat and dog on cat and cat on dog! Mostly worried about her escaping out the cat flap before I am ready but I can't really love it because it is a cat escape route for the dog on cat tensions!
If any one can offer help/advice/a home...... it would be gratefully received.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's another sad example of our throwaway society. It starts with food and clothes and ends up with cats, dogs and even children.

Many people just don't think before they take on the commitment of a pet. We acquired our cat two days before her owners emigrated. (“Would you mind.....?) She was a lovely cat but I'd never do it again. Holidays, vets' bills, allergies etc (even arthritic legs) all have to be considered.

I do think it was irresponsible of the charity though to advise you to re-dump her. I may well be thought cruel by some but I think it would be better for the charity to accept such animals on the understanding they'd be taken to the vet to be put to sleep.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    People never fail to amaze me, I'm not a cat lover but to have them and then throw them away is crass and irresponsible, why do people have pets then do nothing to stop them breeding anyway its moronic, goes to show some people see animals as just a resource instead of a living creature that needs caring for, same for dog owners its that time of year when c***k wombles throw their old dog onto the streets so they can have a flipping puppy its bizarre but it happens every b****y years what is wrong with this twerps how can you have a dog living with you for say 12 years then just kick it out the door without a second thought!?, makes you wonder how they perceive the rest of us?. Sorry rant mode kicked off there for some reason?. :lol:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It is very sad. I understand some people have fallen on hard times and can no longer afford the upkeep but they should at least find a rehoming place for them. Like Sticky says even if they are full they can have them humanely put down as a very last resort.

I moved heaven and Earth to keep mine after a divorce but found landlords just did not want them in their properties. eventually the ex agreed to house them so the kids could still see them when they stayed.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmella
    Options
    We still have the cat, in the cage, in our "spare" room. Cat IS chipped but to an address in London (we are in staffs) and to a number that is disconnected. Even knowing that it is chipped the RSPCA, who the vets called for us, still weren't interested. The vet nurse is trying to pull a few strings but I think we will be keeping her. What bothers me most about this is that if there is a chip then surely there is an "owner"'s name on there so why aren't the RSPCA chasing these cat dumpers down?
    The other thing that has bothered me during this whole process is how the big charities have treated us. The small ones have mostly been sympathetic but full. The big ones seem to think it is our problem. Not a word of thanks for trying to help an animal or anything just lump it. :x
    It has made me think, though, that we need to get on that register where the charities guarantee to take your animals if something happens to you. I couldn't bear to think that my two puss cats would face this fate if something were to happen to us.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It could, of course, be a stray rather than dumped. Maybe the owner moved north and the cat was a determined southerner. I could understand a failure to get it re-chipped immediately on moving as my Medic Alert bracelet is about 8 years out of date :oops:

I'd assume the charities are just swamped. Is that a valid excuse? I don't know. I guess it's more important to deal with animals which are actually experiencing cruelty rather than just being left to fend for themselves.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    Options
    Oh yes, I understand that the charities are swamped I think it is just the way they have sort of made us feel like we are the naughty ones!
    As it turns out I have asked enough people that in the end a chap from swimming, who works for the RSPCA, has thought and remembered that a friend wanted a cat and she is going to have it! yay :D
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    2 off my Cats have been rescued 1. Was dumped with his 2 brothers at the side of a busy road :( it really sickens me how people can do this.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    We always got our cats from the cats protections..its so sad...
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmella
    Options
    Our cats came from cats protection too.

The happy ending is that the guy I talk to at swimming who works for the RSPCA has finally thought of a friend who wants her so she is going there! Phew!

Lesson learnt - don't "rescue" cats.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's a sad lesson to learn but well done you. You took responsibility, unlike many others, and dealt with it.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm very pleased she has found a new owner.

I do know what you mean about the bigger charities. You'd think anybody working for such a charity would be animal lovers and therefore sympathetic but often they come across as quite hard and uncaring. You can be left feeling a nuisance for calling them in the first place.

We will be getting cats when we move to a quieter place but not until then.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    An upsetting story Frogmella, but luckily with a happy ending.

This is how come people like our Cris Skezier ends up with so many unwanted animals :(

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    As you know we got the rugrats Arnie & Willow from the R.S.P.C.A in Frankly after they where dumped in a box by a farm gate in December new born. Every time I look at them it breaks my heart that people can be so cruel. You where an Angel saving that cat and it is great news someone has offered the cat a home. Lovely end to a sad story. But this time of year so many pets are dumped because people can't afford to keep them. Bubba's vet bill when he was sick was close to £2,500 when we had to put him to sleep, pets do cost a lot of money and people should realise that before taking an animal on.