Outcome of GP appt

Options
scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 9. Dec 2014, 07:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to the GP today to get the outcome of a load of blood tests run to see if we could discover the reason I keep falling down.

The good news is it's not diabetes! Hurray! It's also not a vitamin or mineral deficiency - double hurray!

The bad news is it still warrants an urgent referral to Neurology, query MS or CIDP. The doctor thinks that I'm falling due to altered sensation in my feet and legs - something called glove and stocking phenomenon - and that, coupled with other symptoms is quite concerning. She wants to run further tests, which she is not able to do under new CCG rules, only a neurologist can order them.

There we have it. I'm scared, no other way to put that. Apologies for posting this in the LWA part of the board: perhaps we need a board where we can talk about additional health stuff, 'Arthritis Plus'.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No wonder you are scared, scattered, I reckon anyone would be. :( It is so easy for our thoughts to run ahead of knowledge but, for what it's worth, I reckon this is a good thing because you will be seeing someone 'in the know'. This isn't an urgent referral, as such, it's more a necessary one, yes? I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I've been down the neurology route, brain MRI and all. It was an anxious/scary time and in my case a rather vague diagnosis which my physio is checking out. On a positive note other things were fine in terms of my brain. Do hope the wait is not too long.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Id be scared too,hugs. (((()))) Mig
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I think anyone would be scared - neurologist is a scary word. You are entitled to be anxious, but I hope you don't have to wait too long for the next step.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Of course you're scared, scattered. Who wouldn't be? Please don't apologise for posting on here. I hope it will eventually (not too long) be good news. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi, no apologies needed, it's okay to be scared, you aren't alone, post all you want or need to it will keep you sane, hope that you have answers soon.
    Kirsty xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    ((((())))) scattered no apologies needed, of course you are scared who wouldn't be. I do understand what you are going through I have a very rare neurological condition and have the stocking and glove phenomenon. I see people with MS and CIDP all the time when I am in for my treatment and most people seem to live normal life's due to the treatments they get. I am very much keeping my fingers crossed that you have neither, lets hope they can get to the bottom of things soon.................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Just another friendly face popping in to say please don't apologise. We all appreciate that, unfortunately, arthritis often does not exist in isolation, especially autoimmune kinds.

Of course you're scared, that's completely understandable. Do you have anyone to come with you to neurologist appt/tests for support? Your dutiful pocket dwellers will, of course, be with you.

I'll be thinking of you. ((((scattered)))) x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this awful quandary not knowing what is going on and having to wait to see a neurologist. My thoughts are with you and I hope you haven't got to wait for an appointment to long.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I am late seeing this, I will be thinking about you and hope the results are good..sorry I'm not much help...but you know we are here..(((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • scattered
    Options
    Please don't be nice to me, I'll cry!

On a slightly more serious note: thanks everyone. Had a bad day with it all yesterday. My calves and shins went numb which made walking remarkably difficult. I could feel my ankles and heel, but not the bits between my knees - rather disconcerting. It felt like someone had tied weights around my ankles too. Things are slightly more normal today. Work is very busy at the moment, with it being travel week. Still, four more days of term left then I'm off for three weeks.

I'll let you know when the apt comes through. Pocket duties would be appreciated.
  • scattered
    Options
    Oh, and Slosh? I love the Julian of Norwich quote you have as your signature. My personal mantra is 'all shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.'
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    We won't be too nice then! :wink:

I'm sorry you've had such a bad day. It's been a long term, so your body is probably more than ready for a break. You must rest and relax over the Christmas break though....Dr Starburst's orders. 8) Take it easy! x