Popular dog forums

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 5. Dec 2014, 13:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello. Does anyone know of a dog forum that is active and likely to provide lots of opinion?
We have a real problem with our lovely, but terribly greedy 7yr old golden retriever who is an awful scavenge. He will eat anything (the more gross the better) he has his nose on the grass constantly seeking out any tasty morsels, the only thing he is selective about is poo and only goes for that occasionally! He has the squits an awful lot of the time. If we keep him on a lead, no problems, bowels return to normal. I don't like keeping him on a lead constantly and am wondering if a muzzle might be a better option?? He is a good weight, eats Burns, is wormed regularly, vaccinated etc. Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My sister was an animal nurse and I know retrievers are a greedy breed. I also know of one ex-forum member who trained her spaniel to obey despite being on a mobility scooter (The owner not the dog) and she takes him for long walks every day. She did pay for 2-3 sessions with a dog trainer.

I think they key thing is to get them to obey instantly first of all so that if, when out, you yell 'Leave' the dog does exactly that automatically. My son trained his rescue dog so that he wouldn't touch his meal until he actually got the 'OK'. It means a lot of work coupled with rewards for doing the right thing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Retrievers are greedy - we always did the same as Sticky' s son, ie made him wait until we allowed him to eat anything. It was always a supreme effort for him on a Sunday, as he loved his Sunday lunch.

I always kept him on the lead while walking past a Primary School nearby - the track alongside the school had thick shrubbery, and he knew exactly where there would be rich pickings of unwanted crusts, sandwiches etc.

He died almost two years ago now,at the ripe old age of 15, and only very rarely had tummy trouble.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I was a member of quite a few when I got my pup but that was 6 years ago now. I know http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-forums/ is quite useful for info.