Hello from new member

Options
18amandah
18amandah Member Posts: 34
edited 11. Dec 2014, 06:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I am new here. I am a registered carer fro my Hubby who has on going Chronic osteo-arthritis, of spine hips & knees. And now I have got Arthritis in hips & knees. I also suffer Anxiety as awell and am waiting for a hip replacement in Mrach, which I am dreading. As I suffer with my nerves. My Hubby has been on the same meds for 24 years, and I am on painkillers, through the GP. I also have reflexology as well . Regards amandah

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of the web, amandah. It sounds really tough being a carer with arthritis for a person with arthritis but I suppose, at least you can empathise! Are you getting any support to manage the caring that you're doing? I know quite a few people on here have had knee replacements, so I'm sure they'll be along shortly to offer some practical advice. All the best, Starburst :)
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Amandah, it's nice to 'meet' you. You must be an expert on OA, if you & your husband both have it!

I can't offer any advice on hip replacement, as I still have my original hips, but there will be someone here who can help. I think it's quite natural to be anxious about any surgery - I'm not a great fan myself!

I have RA, rather than OA, but pain is pain, whatever variety you have.
  • Loula
    Loula Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Amanda, newbie here too, im finding out loads of info and support on here!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello amandah. It's very unfortunate that you, too, have developed OA when you have to care for your husband. I can see that replacement time will be difficult for both of you but I've had both hips (and both knees) replaced and it's nowhere near as bad as you might think. For me, the worst bit of having hips replaced is having to sleep on your back for 6 weeks or so afterwards to guard against dislocation. After that, there are certain rules to be obeyed but I've had mine for years now with no problems. And ridden horses with them.

You can start preparing for success now by doing some basic exercises every day. These will be the same, or very similar, to those you'll be asked to do after the op. Put 'exercises' into the pink search box higher up on the right of the page then click. Now look at No. 5 on the left (the 'Exercise and Arthritis' booklet. Look especially at the hip strengthening exercises. I still do mine every day and my hips have stayed strong.

Does your husband do any exercises? He might find the booklet useful too. Has he had any joints replaced?

I have RA and OA (greedy monster that I am :lol: ) and have also had 3 knee replacements. No, I'm not Jake the Peg :wink: and every one has been very successful but I got my first knees when I was 35 and, after 27 years, one was ready for retirement. The other's still going strong.

The best advice I can give you is to eat healthily, exercise daily and don't smoke. That will get you in good shape for the operation.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello from me too, this sounds very tough for both of you and I hope we can help with information and support. You are talking to 'those in the know' , we all cope / manage / suffer (depending on one's mood :wink:) so we do understand how difficult things can be. I am having a rougher day than usual, so I won't be around too much tonight and tomorrow morning, but I will be around over the weekend. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Amandah you have came to great forum there are a lot of people on here with a vast amount of knowledge and oodles of support and sympathy, there have been a few that have had hip replacement I am sure some of them will be along soon to give you advice. It is lovely to meet you hope to see you around....................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi and welcome Amandah,
    I'm sure too that you will find lots of great advice and support here. Sorry to hear that you are dealing with arthritis too when caring for your husband.
    I too have OA and a unspecified inflammatory kind, so can appreciate on a practical level what that brings. Welcome again!! Take care,
    Kirstyxxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options
    Welcome Amandah
    i have oa as well it has helped having a hip and knee replacement i also had a triple fusion on my foot.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Amandah welcome to our Arthritis Care forum family, we all try and help each other when we can.
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hello amandah,

Trust me, it feels too good when you share/rant about your OA woes here on forum with fellow sufferers :xmas_cool: .

I am sure, you’ll want to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for your operation, gathering your inner strength and focusing on the ultimate outcome of better mobility :xmas_smile: .

There are few things you can do before entering the hospital to make your home safer, especially when you have other OA patient as well to care for. Place items that you use regularly at arm level so you do not have to reach up or bend down. Set up a “recovery centre” in your home, with the phone, television remote control, radio, facial tissues, wastebasket, pitcher and glass, reading materials, and medications within reach.

Quit smoking if you do, this will help improve healing post surgery and reduce the risk of post op complications. I am sure you will face the surgery with the strongest and healthiest body possible. Best wishes!!!

Love,Tia.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello amandah
    And a warm welcome from me , it really will help you to have us lot to talk things over with,so sorry to see you and your husband are suffering..has for the hip replacement I was also dreading mine and said no one will be able to get me in the hospital..but I did and all went really well...I have other probs that needs seeing to..so but thats another story..
    I do hope you stay with us then we can help support you...x
    Love
    Barbara