Hydroxy...and nausea

Options
kirst74
kirst74 Member Posts: 72
edited 17. Dec 2014, 14:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all hope everyone is okay,
I knew that nausea was a potential side effect, but wow when it hits it really diverts your attention!! :lol: the dose has just gone up, so like all meds I hope it's temporary after all all could be so much worse!! As it's early days I hope it will help at some point.

Kirstyxxx

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I really do feel for you, I remember years back in my teens when I was going through all of the non biological drugs most of them caused some degree of nausea....some more than others. One thing I can say is that the majority of the time the nausea did settle down eventually. Easily said I know but just hold on in there and hopefully it will pass soon!

You could also ask your helpline for some advise on the whole nausea issue, I know that the anti nausea tablets I was prescribed at one point really did help along with other medications added into my treatment.

I have never taken hydroxy so don't have any specific advice nor know how/when it is taken so hopefully someone else will be long shortly who can help
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hydroxy is a mild DMARD and I don't think nausea is common with it but that's no consolation if that's what you're getting :roll: Do you take it with food? If not, that could help. Did you get nausea on one per day? If not, are you splitting the dose now or taking both together? I think I always split mine when on two. I've never had problems with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Good afternoon All
    I am on Hydroxy and Methotrexate. I had to come off of Sulph as the nausea was really bad but I still suffer nausea and thought this might be a side effect of the Meth, although not as bad so have been dealing with it. I am so glad I read this because I realise now that I have possibly not been taking the Hydroxy with enough food or the Meth (once a week on a Monday). I take it at breakfast time but I only have a slice of toast so maybe that is not enough food in my stomach in the morning which is when the nausea exists most. I will now try taking this tablet and my Meth , with my lunch when I eat more and again with my dinner. I hope this may help. Thanks again to all for this forum as I find so much to help with queries such as this. I will let you know how this works with me. Thanks you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Valde, quite a few on here take their meth with their evening meal, that way they have sufficient food to cushion their tum and then, hopefully, they sleep through the first effects of the tablets. It is easy to forget just how strong these drugs are, we bandy their names around as though they're no big deal when, actually, they are.

I hope you are feeling better, Kirst74, if it was tablet-related I hope your system is adjusting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I take anti-nausea tablets because of the different mix of meds I'm on including Hdroxy & Sulphasalazine. I've just had my dose of anti-nausea tablets increased because of the added Sulphasalazine was keeping my toilet & I in close contact. I think they are a good idea if your meds are making you extremely nauseous.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I agree that anti nausea medications are an option to explore if things don't improve. However, if you can stand it, sometimes the immediate side effects we get from increasing doses do settle down once the body gets used to the medication. How are you feeling today?
  • Teapot
    Options
    Hope you start to feel better Kirst 74 and that nausea resolves itself, I know how you feel and its miserable.
    Because my tabs have made me feel so much better arthritis wise I want to persevere with them and try to resolve the nausea. I am going to change my regime of taking my tabs. As DD suggested, I will take meth with evening dinner thus having a full stomach after the food intake during the day as I think that is where I have been going wrong). Thanks for suggestion DD.
    Not sure how you take yours Kirst74 but anything is worth a try, Good luck.
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    valde wrote:
    Because my tabs have made me feel so much better arthritis wise I want to persevere with them and try to resolve the nausea. I am going to change my regime of taking my tabs. As DD suggested, I will take meth with evening dinner thus having a full stomach after the food intake during the day as I think that is where I have been going wrong). Thanks for suggestion DD.
    Not sure how you take yours Kirst74 but anything is worth a try, Good luck.

Hi valda, I am on 10 mg meth and I take it at bedtime, with the total dose spreading over a week. I am also taking folic acid concurrently except on the day of Meth that has helped me to greater extent to cope up with nausea. If you are on higher dose, instead of taking once a week, splitting the dose in to 2 over a week could be beneficial. Dosing at bedtime will help you dealing with side effects like nausea as well as dizziness. Avoid alcohol at-least on the same day of Meth.
    If you still could not stand Meth, you still have a choice to opt for injectables which bypasses many of the GI side effects of oral Meth.

Hope it helps.
    Love , Tia.
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi and thanks all, I'm now taking tablets with milk and trying to take after meals, which is hard cos I work 12.5hr shifts, that's chaotic for healthy eating patterns (and sleep and a life!) All is okay at present, nausea is intermittent at the moment. I think my system is simply not used to taking meds regularly and not eating enough when I do.

Hope everyone is okay xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Just to complicate things a little further :wink: any tablet medication should be swallowed with water: this is to do with the coating of the tablets not being broken down too rapidly by the accompanying liquid. Line your tummy with food but swallow with water. Every tablet regimen demands changes to be made to how we live, and it can be an inconvenience, but it has to be done to gain the best from the medication. Hydroxy is one of the mildest DMARDs out there but we all react differently to medications - don't reach for the anti-nausea tabs just yet, sometimes we can sort ourselves out without further medical 'interference'. This is all very new to you so give yourself time to adjust, OK? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Teapot
    Options
    Just to let you know this week I have been taking my medication towards the late afternoon after I have had breakfast and lunch when my stomach has had quite a bit of food, also taking them with water. This seems to be working and on Monday I took my meth after my evening dinner and that was better for me. I think maybe my nausea was due to not having enough food in stomach like it was suggested on here so thanks for all the advice and hopefully I may have cracked it as I don't really want to go on another tab ie anti sickness. Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and New Year.Thanks again for your time
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That's great news, valde. I hope it will ensure a better Christmas for you. Thanks for letting us know :cheesygrin:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright