Eureka!

rayray
rayray Member Posts: 115
edited 10. Dec 2014, 11:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Following all my hip, back, shoulder, neck and now knee problems I saw the neck/back surgeon today. She was very nice, straight to the point but decisive and polite.

As I have mentioned on the forum before I have had joint issues for many years now with periods of severe inflammation and have been tearing my hair out being sent from person to person. The surgeon today concluded that she thinks I have an inflammatory problem and I need to see a rheumatologist. She has ordered an MRI and CT scan as my neck and shoulder are in such a mess - my left shoulder has dropped four inches as the muscle from my neck is so weak which will be causing a massive strain on my neck. I also have nerve damage in my left arm. She can repair any damage in my neck but feels I need treatment from a rheumatologist.

At last! I do feel that GP's need to have further training in inflammatory disorders - they do not all test positive in blood tests. I understand that they can't refer everyone as rheumatologists are under such pressure but a history of severe inflammation in several joints should trigger a referral. Anyway moan over, hopefully after decades of this I may finally get an answer.

Phew :D

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's often quite bittersweet, isn't it? You feel vindicated that you were right but disappointed that it's taken so long. Blood tests are helpful for identifying inflammatory diseases in the majority of cases but people like you (and me) in the not so insignificant minority miss out. Square pegs and round holes springs to mind! We are all unique individuals.

Wish you the best of luck in the next step on your diagnosis journey.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    This does sound like a positive step forward and I hope you are getting closer to discovering just what is what. GPs do not know enough about auto-immune conditions but, seeing as how they have to know a little about a lot, it's not that surprising. From my reading on here I know that they are improving on referrals - I lost five years of treatment thanks to a dolt of a GP - is this the first time that rheumatology has been suggested to you? Please let us know what the scans etc. show - good luck! DD

d050.gif
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    It makes such a difference when they listen to you,I am glad to see they have ordered MRIs and xrays this will show up any inflammation I have just had them and they were negative thank goodness..but back to the drawing board... good luck and hope you get some answers..
    Love
    Barbara