Big toe fusion

Options
mally
mally Member Posts: 25
edited 8. Jan 2015, 07:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I saw my podiatrist today. Again he has suggested fusion for my big toes. They are now very painful and he reckons that I just have 10% movement in them. I have a horse and own 3 pairs of wellies. All of the wellies are very painful to wear but essential for the deep mud in the fields. 1 pair hurt my bunion type lumps but the others hurt my ankles, presumably because of the way I walk in order to avoid bending my big toes.

A couple of months ago I spoke to my GP about surgery. He said that at 53 I am too young to spend the rest of my life hobbling. Is the end result really that bad? My podiatrist has suggested that getting this surgery sooner rather than later gives a greater chance of success.

I can't put up with the pain in my feet much longer and believe that continued use of painkillers cannot be good for me. Has anyone any advice?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's always worth remembering that GPs know a little about a lot. :wink: Your GP is not an orthopaedic surgeon so won't necessarily be fully aware about the possible outcomes of surgery, plus he isn't living with this, you are.

From what little I have read on here, about a variety of fusions, the general consensus appears to be that the pain usually vanishes (what's not to like about that?) and movement may not be too impaired. My view on surgery has always been that it's there to help, and that it usually does if one is as fit as possible beforehand, and rests and exercises sensibly after and gives the body due time to heal properly. In your wellies :wink: I would go for it, ASAP, but that's just me. DD

b032.gif
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mally
    mally Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks, Dreamdaisy. I've made an appointment to see a different Gp next week.

I've just reread my original post and it reads as if it's only my wellies that hurt but that's not the case. Every step in any footwear or barefoot is painful but the deterioration in my feet has become very apparent to me through it being welly time again. Plus it's making me feel so tired. I think I'll ask for a referral to a surgeon.

I believe that you can look at NHS choices and get some idea of success rates for different hospitals?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello mally
    We have a few people on here that have had toes fused...one of them is dachsund..ie Joan..and I know that she did really well..you will have to get all the info and then its make up your mind, deciding to have surgery is so hard ..but doing your homework will help..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know what you mean about footwear: my toes are PsA-affected and both ankles have OA plus bone-growth so every step hurts, every time I move and no matter what I'm wearing (or not) on my rotten trotters. :) Fusions won't change my circumstances which is why I think you should go ahead because, for you, it might. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pobby
    Pobby Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I too have been recommended big toe fusion.

It's all a bit new to me and I didn't ask the consultant all of the questions that I wish I had.

The first and main one being is there alternative procedures? Pinning my toe just all seems a bit drastic/final.

My toe is very swollen (calcified bone surrounding) and whilst not continually unbearable there is always a nagging pain.

There is arthritis in the top two joints and a bit in the 2nd toe.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Any ongoing pain is hard to put up with. I've been fortunate in that I've never been in the slightest doubt about any of my surgeries but, if you have such doubts, it might be wise to try to talk them over with someone beforehand. A GP is no orthopaedic expert but a good one should have some idea of what's on offer. I'm thinking orthotic insoles mainly. They might help and there might be other possibilities. If you put 'toe fusion' into the pink search engine box above several old threads come up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright