Cars... Hip pain

jabster
jabster Member Posts: 39
edited 16. Dec 2014, 02:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hope everyone is as well as can be :xmas_smile:

Bit of a random one, finally changed cars to an automatic :cheesygrin: (Renault Scenic) and been driving it a week, done around 60 miles and my hips are absolutely aching :xmas_sad:

Did anyone else feel pain (not just aches but real pain) when changing to a new car? We had a manual clio before.

We have the option of exchanging it with the dealer but none of the other cars available at present really interest me tbh (mileage/age etc) Have 3 weeks max to do this, but with Christmas/NY it needs to be next week really.

Part of me wants to hold on a few months and see if it eases as I love the new car otherwise. Though we would loose £ on trade in then.

nothing is ever easy :xmas_cry: :?:

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I tend to swap between my Golf and Mr LVs VW bus. The golf gives me no problems and is sweet and easy to drive. The bus makes me curse sometimes as it is a manual and the gears are pretty heavy (I need two hands to put it in reverse) so I have to really work to get them to move, especially in the cold. I'm guessing your scenic is a newer car than the bus - can you adjust the seat and steering wheel a bit and see if there is a position that makes the ache a little more controlled? I know in the Golf if Mr LV has been messing with my seat position I can find things less comfortable if I don't sort it out before setting off. I practically lie back whilst driving so my hip isn't as bent as it might be otherwise. The seat and the steering column are fully adjustable to enable me to do that. The bus seat goes forward or back and you can recline the back a bit - not many options. I do love being up high though and seeing the world it's a very chilled out drive once you get it warmed up.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In my driving days I always had minis and never a problem. The problems I have had when my hips have been dodgy all stem from the shape of the seats. Flat ones are OK but, with t hose that go up at the sides, my bottom has to be firmly planted in the flate central bit. If I end up with part of it too close to the sides I know about it later. Even Mr SW has this problem on longer journeys.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have a Citroen C3 Picasso (possibly similar to the Scenic?) and love it: the seat is higher than in my previous car (a Micra) so it's easier to get in and out. I have the seat back almost vertical to ease the strain on my lower back and hips and, most importantly, the seat is flat. Mr DD prefers the 'racing' style of seat, the type with the raised sides, and they are truly dreadful.

I would experiment with the positions of the steering wheel and seat, possibly adding a cushion to the seat would help matters? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    We've had a lot of Renaults over the years and always been happy with them, but the last one was a new Scenic, and I didn't find it comfortable at all for long distances. We bought a Qashqai last year and it's the most comfy car I've had.
  • jabster
    jabster Member Posts: 39

I'm going to give it another few days of driving and make a decision. I love the car just not this pain lol

Enbrel day tomorrow so will see if that helps too

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, we're a few days on now so how is it going? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Just another thought.
    When I was first diagnosed with OA {many moons ago :xmas_lol: } I was sent to the OT who tried to give me all sorts of things.......Me....I was in denial and "not thank you I don't need it etc {I'm not disabled} :xmas_smile:
    Then she was having a casual conversation.....I drove for a living and she said what do you feel like after driving for most of the day?
    Quite sore and achy.
    She then produced this foam cushion for the car seat {can be used inside as well apparently {never used it that way}
    It was great...made such a difference.....I've had it renewed a few times since then :xmas_cheesygrin:
    You can self refer to an OT........what about asking her opinion on your car and the seat?

Love
    Hileena