thoroughly cheesed off

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 13. Dec 2014, 16:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have for the last month or two been really suffering with horrible pain. I can barely walk and when I do I can only manage about 10 minutes maximum before I'm desperate to sit down. It's making me feel really down and miserable. We moved house a couple of months ago and I have only just registered with a new gp and have an appointment there on monday. I am hoping that the new gp will send me for xrays on my knees and hips as I feel that they have definitely deteriorated since my last xrays. When I get into the car I have to lift my left leg in with my hands as I can't bend it and lift it by itself. I have to have the car door wide open and put both of my legs out as my left leg can't cope with trying to stand on it's own when I'm getting out. I try to play it down with my friends and my children ( who are all in their 20s) as I don't want to look like an old lady! ( I'm 54) I went for lunch with a friend yesterday, she drove us to the restaurant and although I really enjoyed being out and having a good old natter with her I have been exhausted all today. :xmas_cry: sorry for being such a misery, but I just feel that I can't tell my family just how bad things are.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You're not alone, I know exactly how you feel because I've been like it for years. I use a rollator which has a seat, they can be bought for around £50 and they do make a difference: I can walk and rest whenever required and, joy of joys, queue again! :xmas_lol: It's one year ago today since we moved house and I still have some boxes to unpack but so what? I do what I can do and I will get around to them soon (so I keep telling myself :wink: )

Pain is part and parcel of our disease and learning to deal with it (and manage it as sensibly as possible) is challenging but essential. Gentle exercise is important for keeping our muscles as strong as they can be, I still do my synovectomy post-op exercises on a daily basis to help my upper and lower leg muscles keep in something resembling 'toned'. I am finding the current blast of cold weather not helpful so ensure you stay warm. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    You've had an exhausting time with the move, bridesmum, both physically and emotionally, and that is not easily overcome for anyone let alone us.

I think we all have our self-defined limits of 'acceptable' and you clearly feel you've reached yours. I hope the doc can help. At least it'll be a new 'voice'

DD has made some very useful su ggestions re a rollator and exercises. I am another who has to do mine daily but I still can't remember when I last got out of a car by standing on one leg. I suspect I was in my early 30s or late 20s at the time. The main thing is being able to do it. The how doesn't matter. If you can do the straight leg raises (You may need to ask someone to gently help by holding your ankle at first) you should soon be able to get that leg into the car without lifting it in. These things take an annoying chunk out of our day but they do pay off in the end.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks DD and Sticky, I will try the exercises to try to strengthen my leg muscles although as you suggested Sticky I will need help.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The first ones I was given was to lie on my back, with a pillow under my knees to support them; I then had to point my toes of one foot at the ceiling and tense my thigh muscles: my calf and ankle were then supposed to rise so my leg was straight, I would hold that for five seconds then relax the leg. I would then do the other leg and repeat on both five or ten times. I did this three times per day. It took months but eventually the operated leg did straighten!

I attempted the straight leg rises after six months and found I could do them. Then came the leaning against a wall and sliding down until my knees were as bent as possible: again hold for five or ten seconds (it was more usually five) then straighten my back. I eventually bought some resistance bands but now I cannot use them because I am too bad. No matter, I stick to the tensing-and-releasing ones and, on a very good day, I slide down a wall once or twice.

For getting out of the car I use a swivel cushion so both legs hit the ground at the same time: a plastic bag works just as well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    bridesmum wrote:
    Thanks DD and Sticky, I will try the exercises to try to strengthen my leg muscles although as you suggested Sticky I will need help.

.Try some of these. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Self-management/exercise-and-arthritis The help required is essentially to stop weak muscles allowing the leg to drop back unintentionally (and painfully :roll: ) ie just to give minimal support. If you lack the muscle power to raise your leg at all at first then the action of just trying to do so - even if you don't get it off the deck - will strengthen the muscles. Go for it :xmas_lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Although my leg weakness is a neuro problem not arthritis I have the same problems getying in and out of cars with lifting my left leg in and out and to stand up when getting out use my crutches to support me as well as putting my weight on my right leg. Exercise is definitely worth trying and I hooe your new GP is effective.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich