fitflop boots

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 15. Dec 2014, 19:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last year when my OA wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is now I bought 2 new pairs of knee high boots. One pair has has small wedge heel and the other has a chunky heel about one and a half inches high. I loved them and wore them with skinny jeans or thick tights and a dress. I felt sooo trendy :xmas_cheesygrin: I have tried to wear them this year and although they don't hurt my feet they make everywhere else in my body really ache. I wore the wedge pair to go for luch with a friend the other day and althou I only walked to and from the car which was a matter of yards I have been suffering ever since. I have a pair of suede fitflop boots which my podiatrist recommended I buy when I had plantar fasciitis and they are the only thing I can wear comfortably. Unfortunately they are looking a bit tired now and I think that I might have to bite the bullet and buy another pair. The problem is that they cost anything from £100 upwards and aren't exactly glamorous! I know that I should get over myself and not be concerned about looking frumpy but being the shallow person that I am I do. What boots or shoes do you wear? Is there anything that compares to the fitflop boots?
Thanks all, from Shallow Deb :rudolph:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are not being shallow, you are reluctant to let go of the things that matter to you and it's not easy. Skinny jeans :shock: Even my skin is no longer skin-tight thanks to anno domini!

Fit flops finish me off, I once tried a pair of shoes in D*b*nh*ms, walked all of five paces and was written-off for the rest of the day (I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips, plus PsA-affected toes, knees and sacro-iliacs). For me Fit flops are very hard work on bits that we don't need to be worked in such a way. Shoes now have to be sensible flat lace-ups (with my hospital issued orthotics in place) because if they're not I cannot manage what little I can do. Indoors I am permanently in Crocs (and outdoors in the summer too) because they are wonderful shock-absorbers. My winter boots, gong out shoes and other kinds of footwear were thrown out years ago because they became unsuitable. Now I buy from Hotters (in the sale) and, for some reason yet to be fathomed, I get on well in desert boots. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I've been in surgical shoes since my early 20s so can't comment on brands but I do know that any heel - wedge or not - throws the weight forward onto the knees and gives them a whole load of extra work to do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I have to go for comfort over style, so any shoes I buy tend to be of the 'sensible' persuasion, ie flat, broad and either Velcro or zip. I do, however, have a lovely pair of flat-soled Josef Seibel lace-up ankle boots, which give a lot of support, and of which my rheumy thoroughly approves. I bought them in a sale in a local shop.
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    I cant wear them either I had the trainers and the fit flops sold them on ebay :xmas_mad:
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Now I buy from Hotters (in the sale) and, for some reason yet to be fathomed, I get on well in desert boots. DD
    Hotters are great I have had a pair over 12 years now still going strong
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA at the age of 21 and I was horrified at the realisation that I had to put comfort over style. Five years down the line, I have come quietly accept that you can buy nice shoes that are arthritis friendly. I agree that the price is an issue. I do spend several hundreds on shoes :? and have found that my feet get more deformed each year, so the shoes of last Winter and no good for this Winter. That said, I don't feel I can put a price on my comfort.

It might be my age but I don't love Hotter :oops: although I find Clarks nice. I have a fab pair of Kickers shoes which not only fit my orthotics but are actually quite in fashion. Fashion shoes shops tend to be a no go area and I find big department stores much better and the assistants tend to be more helpful.
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    For arthritic sufferers, unfortunately it’s a matter of comfort over style, but trust me, they makes life much better!!! I use either sketchers shape up with extra foam insert or well cushioned runners.

Choose a one with exceptional shock absorption property to minimise the strain on the already fragile cartilage. Having a good arch support is important to prevent the foot from fully flattening. Be sure to pay special attention to the fit of the shoe's width and don't hesitate to purchase a wide or extra wide shoe if necessary. The height of the shoe should put your foot into a comfortable, natural angle.
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Look for some RYN shoes.

They are like mbt but much much better and much cheaper.

They help me no end

James
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm another one who gets terribly sore from fitflops. They just make my back hurt because of whatever they do to my posture. In terms of sensible but attractive boots - I have quite a collection :xmas_smile: most of them are imports from the USA - North Face do a lovely range in boots that are fit for the snow but also very fashionable and nice - mine have all lasted well, I have rainbow feather down boots, leather knee high fur trimmed boots and this years are a natty mid calf suede with buckles all over them. I also have Camper boots which are easily available over here. All my boots cost me a fair price but I'm of my old Gran's persuasion of buying quality which will see me out for years and years and be a bit timeless so i don't mind paying out for them plus they are all so darn comfy and warm it's beyond belief.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I had tried virtually every type of shoe in every shoe shop in my area, to no avail. Due to twisted and hammer toes, a ridiculous hitch hikers toe, flat feet and an ankle that leans in so much I almost walk on it, I was reduced to wearing slippers or a pair of very old, very soft moccasins, which gave me no support or warmth. Then my daughter suggested I tried Ugg boots. I tried several pairs on before finding my ideal. They fasten down the side, so no foot bending to put them on. They are very soft, and fluffy inside meaning my feet are snugly and warmly cocooned, and they look great!
    Still no real support, and they were outrageously expensive, but hey, they don't hurt my feet.
    Tomorrow I pick up my first pair of surgical shoes, not sure I'll want to take my Uggs off though!
    Numpty
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated :carolers: I must confess when I first started wearing fit flops about 4 years ago, I found that they really made my thighs and back ache, but after gradually getting used to them I now find them more comfortable than anything else. I bit the bullet on saturday and bought another pair and having worn them all day today ( quite a busy day and more walking than usual) I was loath to take them off. I think that when you are in as much pain and discomfort as we are we deserve and need to buy the right footwear that suits us.