Libido??

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 16. Dec 2014, 17:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas!! - I hope you are all well.

I know its a risky subject but im having trouble with my Libido and wonder if its the disease or medication that is causing it ?

Any ideas ? xx

i'm on Sulfa, arcoxia, amitriptline and co-codamol xx

Thanks in advance ? x :xmas_sad:

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, looking forward to replies, cos you're not the only one!
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Well I had some problems and it was the meds.

A lot of meds are anti depressants and these can give some big problems
    One lot made me lose my sex drive and the next just stopped my climax I would go on for hours, sounds fun but it was not really.

After a few changes I find all is fine now.

One thing when I was put on morphine and I will be taking this until the disks are removed from my neck and back, my sex drive has gone though the roof I became very tactile and loving and really am lime a dog in heat lol
    Now this has been fun.

The most important thing is talk to your partner and go amd see the doctor together, we have always done this as they can say something's and I hear one thing and Diane will back it up or add to it. When it comes to your sex live she is just as much a part of it as I am so we should be there together amd it all got sorted.

Hope this helps

James
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    thank you for your post James, I am in quite a lot of pain at the moment too - which isnt helping and to be honest getting that under control is my priority at the moment.

Not my hubby's priority tho :-( xxx

At least i can discuss it with him so he knows its not just me having 'a headache' xx

thank you for your support x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Except for those of a masochistic disposition pain is a big turn off. When my kids were young and pain at its worst there were times when sex was just another chore to be fitted in. I think, in those days, if I'd taken any pain relief such as cocos or amitrip I'd have nodded off in the middle of it.

James ia right. It's something to face together and sort out together. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    I definitely feel there is a link between two, although this is not the side effect that is commonly discussed by many. I agree with James, it is something you should deal together. Communication is the key, talk to your partner and a doctor. If it is seriously bothering your relationship, the best option is to switch to a medication that will control your disease state and not affect libido.

love, Tia.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    I'm considering dropping amitriptline over Christmas I need it this week ! Hectic at work xx

I'm hoping that is the problem xx

Will let you know if it changes things x
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Thanks for your post, Lynnemarie. This is something that has bothered me since I began taking Amitriptyline, for a different problem from arthritis, so I'm really pleased that you mentioned it. I thought it was just me at first, until I related it to the medication. I'm due to see the doc in the next few weeks, so your post has made me determined to mention it. I think I might drop the Amitriptyline over Christmas as well!

Meg :xmas_smile:
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Meg x I debated for a while if it was appropriate to post x but it does bother me and the hubby especially ;-) xx

Xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Why not, Lynnemarie? You're not the first and won't be the last. In fact, if you put something appropriate in the search engine you'll probably find former threads on the topic. meanwhile, is this any help? http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Relationshipsemotions
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    Options
    Amitriptyline

A number of you have talked about this drug

I have a fantastic GP who does all he can to help me though this auto-immune illness and when he put me on this drum i took it for a few months but went back to see him and told hime the problems, sleeping a lot and sex drive etc he then put me on Nortriptyline.

this drug is so much better and works very well. The problem is it cost about £6.80 per pill and i take 2 a night so you GPs will not really want to put you on it. every one who is having the problems please go to your GP and ask for this drug, you will sleep normally and your sex drive will return.

you may have to stand up for your rights on this one because of the cost but it is worth it.

James
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    James.

Thanks i will chat to the gp about it - I plan on having a chat with them anyway about my arcoxia dosage so will mention the other situation as well.

Thank you for your support xx
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Lynnemarie,

Season's greetings to you too!

There's nothing inappropriate about your question :xmas_smile:

From my experiences, a visit to the GP is a good first step to take and I hope it's useful for you.

Best wishes,
    Phee

PS: And thanks, James, for the info on amitriptyline – I'm not on it myself, but my best friend is and I'm sure she'll be interested to learn that there's an alternative :xmas_smile:
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Mine disappeared years ago thanks to continual pain, joints that don't work as they should and the general grinding of life with arthritis. Do I miss it? No, not in the slightest, for me its return would be another inconvenience in my very inconvenient life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    When you feel like a ball of weary inflammation you tend not to be at your most sexy or sensuous. I've never had pain meds beyond codeine but I have had lots of pain and it never makes me want to slip between the sheets and get jiggy.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • JamesFoote
    Options
    Being intimate with your partner is the most wonderful of things.
    I am not talking about the movies view on sex or even full blow sex but being close and giving pleasure and talking it in the best ways you can.
    If people dont want too then fine if there partner agrees and all are happy then who am i to say you should try.
    But if you want that side with your partner or even if your partner wants it with you but you find it difficult then please go to the doctors and ask for help
    There are things that can be done. You may not be spinning around the room but it can be fun.
    Arthritis care told me that distraction is a great form of pain relive well being close to your partner must a classed as a distraction.

So many of us and please note i include myself in this, get into the habit of doing one thing then the next and then the next. Well what these slipped discs have done for me have made me look at how to enjoy sex, laugh at it and have fun. I know this is a delicate subject to some and i know i am talking to a number of ladies but look at doing thing differently chat to your partner and seek help if needed. If you want to give up on your love life altogether then fine but remember two people have to make that decision

James
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    James, I understand you are trying to help and be kind and open and that is really good of you.
    Inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid and it's kin are quite different beasts to osteoarthritis and mechanical arthritis. They tend to have a very systematic action that affects a lot more than just joints and can create a fatigue the like of which can be unbearable as well as pain. People often say you feel like you have flu but it is different to that because it is never ending or feels so in the midst of a flare, you end up faint and shaking from just trying to make a brew or walk downstairs every day and there is no let up. Add to that the joys of not sleeping and pretty much most joints swelling and becoming stiff and angry
    In the midst of that kind of flare it can be beyond possible to cope with daily life and at those moments people should feel it is OK to say 'I'm sorry husband/ wife normal service has been suspended' reagrdless of whether that suits their other half or not. Sadly, there is nothing a GP or probably any doctor can do to make your libido re-appear if you are in that predicament. Luckily flares tend not to last forever so said partner just has to sit it out as does the arthritic but in my experience, they are so busy helping you do the day to day things or pick up tasks you'd normally be doing that they too end up tired and so understand that now is not the time for love making. I say that as somebody in my mid thirties with twin daughters who weren't dropped off by a stork.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • JamesFoote
    Options
    I understand that and i hope i have not caused offence to anyone

it was 2010? when i was told i had an autoimmune decease and this has led to me having colitis. That robbed 18 months before i began to understand it and in a way controlled it enough to have a "normal" life.
    the arthritis in the knee was a blow but being told it is in my spine was quite a shock.
    I more than understand being stood in the shops and needing a loo, now and i mean now, being able to see were it is but not being able to move to get there. The depression, omg is that bad.

If any one is thinking i am being a bit forceful well may be i am and i apologise for that, may be it is my way of a slap across the face. I am sorry that is the fighter in me and i would be just as forceful if some one was giving up driving or a holiday but please do not think i do not understand because i do being a male there are parts that dont show up no matter how much you try. So lets try to laugh even though some of those tears will not be though laughter

James
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Ha ha x that made me laugh xxxx