Chicken Pox

Options
Sharon2960
Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
edited 21. Dec 2014, 14:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Looks like our little granddaughter has got chickenpox! I'm fairly sure I should stay away, due to being on sulfasalazine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated please!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not sure about sulph but those of us on meth definitely have to avoid it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Keep your distance! Sulph suppresses the immune system so it's not worth the risk, especially at this time of year. DD

a050.gif
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'd call your rheumy nurse/ rheumatologist if you are worried - I'm supposed to do that if it happens with my girls because they will then direct your GP if you do need care. I think keeping your distance is sadly essential until she is deemed no longer contagious.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    You have to keep away, I'm afraid, until the last scab has gone. Both my grandsons had chickenpox and my rheumy nurse told me to keep my distance. I was on MTX at the time, but it's the same for all the immuno-suppressants.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    my goodness never knew that about Sulpha! Will have to get one of those face masks surgeons wear when I go out or have visitors from now on!!! :o :xmas_lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    That would only give 50% protection, bubbadog, as chicken pox is both airborne and contagious.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    When I spoke to my rheumy nurse yesterday she said that it's ok to be with a close family member with chickenpox, as I had chickenpox as a child, and therefore should have immunity; although I shouldn't be with other people who have it. As it is, the blisters are scabbing over, so hopefully they will all have done so by the time I see her again; either way, I was with her when she would have been contagious prior to the spots arriving. Sounds to me like health professionals all have different opinions/advice - hey ho!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Health professionals are just as individual as us, one will think one thing and another another. I would still err on the side of caution though, just to be on the safe side. I am not sure if I am right in thinking this but I believe that contact with someone with chicken pox can lead to shingles in someone who was poxed in childhood. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    My sulfa leaflet says “You should avoid close contact with people who have infections such as chickenpox. If you know you have been in close contact with somebody with chickenpox, contact your doctor for advice” (which you already did :) ).

Keep clear for a week until scabs are crusted over. It is always best to check with your rheumy as soon as you can, as you can get chicken pox more than once if your body didn't develop antibodies to it the first time you got it. I was told that if you have had chicken pox when young, then when you are older; a contact with chicken pox could bring on a case of shingles. Nonetheless, both of these can bring nasty complications, in RA patients whose immunity is already dampened by lots of steroids and immunosuppressants.

Hope your granddaughter gets on well, soon.

Love,Tia
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    GoshI didn't know this! All 3 of my children got Chicken pox within days of each other about 8 years ago-at the time I was on sulfa and mtx.

I'm now on humira and I am aware I need to keep away although several times I've had visitors with their children who quite cheerfully tell me their child has just had it and is now recovering!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    All I know is that it is possible to catch chocken pox more than once. My daughter had it 5 times when she was young, and regardless of anyother health problem it can be more serious to catch it as an adult
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich