just back from the docs

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 15. Dec 2014, 14:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just been to see my new doctor who seems very nice. I explained that my left knee is seriously painful and that my fibromyalgia is worse than ever. I also told him that although I am overweight for the last few weeks I have had little or no appetite. He said that the appetite thing could be down to my diabetes and that I should have blood tests for that and my thyroid. He examined my knee and said that an injection would help and that he'd do it now! He explained that I can have injections up to 3 times a year. He said that I will need a knee replacement but they don't like to do them before you're 60. I am almost 55 and hope that my knee can last for another 5 years as it has worsened quite rapidly in the last 6 months.

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment, bridesmum and he is being very thorough. I hope the injection has made a difference to your knee and blood tests lead to treatment which will help with your appetite.

Take care.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I guess he has injected a steroid so please rest that knee as much as you can for at least 48 hours so that the steroid has the chance to 'soak in' and hopefully do what it's supposed to do. I'm sure you are aware from reading on here that sometimes that they do nothing - I hope that won't be the case for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    A good appointment which augurs well for your relationship with the new GP.

As DD says, rest the knee for 48 hours. And get those decent shoes. They'll help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sounds like a good appointment and a good GP.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich