"Are you sure you've got the right diagnosis, Doctor?"

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Dec 2014, 04:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
"Are you sure we have the right diagnosis, Doctor? I am convinced it could be something else and that we can find a medication that eradicates all symptoms without any side effects."

The GP wondered if I might be stressed and suggested that I might t want to think about managing my emotions rather than focusing on the elusive cure. So, I cried. It just had to be the lovely and handsome one, didn't it?! :?

I only went in for a new prescription.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Starburst, so sorry to hear that, but hope he was able to come up with a plan, if you're anything like me the tears always seem to come when I'm tired. Hope you will manage to get a rest over the Christmas period, you need and deserve it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    (((Sophie)))

These things happen – I cried in front of my rheumatologist a few months ago. It was funny in a way, because he got a nervous twitch :xmas_evil:

Slosh is spot on with her reply :xmas_smile:

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Sophie, isn't life simple when one is healthy? What a moron, no doubt he meant well but FCOL. ((( ))) For what it's worth I reckon some tears every now and again in front of the 'professionals' helps to remind them that we are mere flesh and blood, and coping with a darn sight more than they can comprehend. DD

g204.gif
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh Sophie. You've had a tough time for a long time and, eventually, something has to give. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    At least you only cried and didn't blow snot bubbles too and if you think what GPs see then I bet tears are a lite option :wink: , even for the handsome ones! (((((())))))

I was happy the other week to end up seeing a GP who was honest enough to say that my diagnosis and treatment was well out of their depth but they would be willing to help however they could so long as we involved the rheumatology nurse in decisions. Maybe dr emotions could have done with going on that patient care course.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Starburst
    Options
    He hit a sore point because he's right, I am stressed. Overall, I enjoy my job but it's physically and emotionally exhausting. I only have the bank holidays off work and I'm on duty for the next couple of weeks. It's a tough time for year for social workers in my field anyway but it's even tougher for me because I am new and because I'm feeling underneath the weather. However, I shall soldier on because the service users need me and self pity isn't attractive.
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    There is nothing worse than a GP prodding the exact spot you didn't go in to talk about.

I think you're allowed a little cry at the GP, it helps remind them that you're human and there are worse people to cry to/at. My GP has seen me in tears more times than I can count - usually because I'm so frustrated with everything.

Give yourself a break and a hug. In fact, have a hug from me (())
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There are some who give up but not you, your view has always been 'I have arthritis and other stuff but so what? I will gain my degree, I will find a challenging but rewarding job, I will live my life.

And you do - and also find time to support people on here.

Of course you are experiencing stress - all of us on here do for many reasons of which pain is probably top of this less-than-glorious league - but you cope admirably well with it all and there is no shame in admitting that every once-in-a-while it all gets a little too much. You set your personal bar very high, and usually leap over it, so there's nowt wrong with the occasional limbo. :wink: You earn it. DD

a050.gif
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Self pity? You? Pull the other one, Sophie :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I have to agree with DD you have shown you can get a degree then find a job in a very hard profession, my sister-in-law is a social worker and what she has to deal with is shocking! And as well as going to work you still come on here and give support to us all. So your feeling stressed is normal and it is a stressful time of year! I've cried when seeing my G.P & consultant! I hope you you feel better to enjoy Christmas take care big (())'s
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't hear self pity, what I hear is determination despite the odds, yes its a tough profession, you are allowed to feel overwhelmed at times.
    I work in acute care (nursing) in psychiatry, so also work with vulnerable people, so I understand the challenges that brings. I've cried too in front of doctors, it means we are human and that vulnerability makes us better at what we do. Dont be so hard on yourself.

Kirstyxx
  • Slosh
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better my GP got some tears from me today!

Just want to add something very sensible that one of my colleagues said to me recently.
    It's OK to take time off if you need to. Everyone has time off for illness sometimes.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Oh! I am so with you here.
    I've cried too, more often when someone actually gets close to recognising and expressing how I must feel.
    Although we fight this intruder changing our lives, its heartening when someone reflects and appreciates just how tough it is to look ok but to be screaming with discomfort.
    Ruby
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. I think I'm totally exhausted because I cried on and off all day yesterday. :shock: Thankfully, I was working from home. At the end of January, I will have been at my job for 6 months and entitled to request to reduce my hours under their flexible working policy. I have been pondering on this for some time and won't make any rash decisions but I am really struggling. :xmas_cry:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm not surprised you're struggling - I reckon we all do at this time of year, I know I am and I'm not working. There is nothing wrong with tears, honey, they are a vital release for the stress, tension, tiredness, pain and sheer effort that we have to make just to get through a day. The Christmas break is beckoning so get your PJs on, your feet up, a festive glass of summat lovely in hand and let the world go hang. DD

i17.gif
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sounds as though the Christmas break has come at exactly the right time for you. In terms of requesting part time working it might be useful to do what I have just done and phone your union for advice. Mine were very helpful and also suggsted I contact payroll to get salary quotes for if I did this and then a financial services agency that might be able to give me a net salary assessment. The other piece of advice was to consider three days as opposed to 4 as not only do employers tend to prefer this as it it easier to get someone to do two days a week,but perhaps more importantly, the danger of just doing 4 days was that you tended to try and fit 5 days work in.
    Take time to think it through and don't forget to think about your overall quality of life.

Take care
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words and advice. I have been putting off joining Unison but bit the bullet and I am now a member. I really don't think I can work 3 days a week due to finances. I had heard that some people struggle on 4 days but I can request a trial period which seems like the best option. I am going to take some leave as soon as I can too. Despite it only being a month since my holiday, I am exhausted again. I can't wait for my 4 day weekend!
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    It really does sound like a tricky decision for you. I'm sure things will seem a bit more clear once you have had time to relax and recharge over the Christmas break.

I'm not sure about your work's policy but would it not be possible to see occupational health and get reduced hours on a temporary basis until you feel your condition is better managed? They might also be able to suggest things that could make your job just that bit easier for you.

I forget what medication you're currently taking and for how long, could there possibly be alterations be made there? Lots of people don't know that most ANTI TNF drugs can have the dose doubled or given more frequently, even my current Rheumatolgist seemed confused at first when I told her I used to take Humira weekly rather than every 2 weeks.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Reduced hours are a useful temporary solution, I was on these for about 10 months but you need to see your GP about this, however it does mean you still get paid for full-time work. Occupational health can be helpful in terms of some adjustments, for example one reccomendation from mine was that I shouldn't do playground duties, and there is Access to work but I seem to remember you have already had that assessment.

And don't use holiday leave for other things than holidays! If you ned a break because you are not well enough for work then that is called sick leave, remember you can self certificate for 5 days, I have a feeling you're like me and don't want to do this but in the long run you need to put yourself and your health first and save that precious holiday leave for more adventures.
    Julian of Norwich