Arthritis lite.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Dec 2014, 07:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Late yesterday afternoon I was struggling down the drive on two sticks, the recycling bin liner hanging off one of them, to empty that and put out the blue bin (no mean feat when on sticks). I was still in my nightclothes (don't ask) and my opposite neighbour watched me struggle as she was putting out her bin.

'Bad day?' she called across.

'Yup, it's not that wonderful,' I replied with a grin.

'You need a new hip,' she said, 'Mine has made all the difference to me!'

I think I muttered something along the lines of 'I need more than a hip' as I struggled with the bin whilst thinking 'You're doing OK? Come and flaming help, then.'

'Oh!' she said. Followed by:

'I didn't know you could have arthritis in more than one joint.'

I suppose that is because she had only OA and only in one joint. She was fixed, ergo anyone else with arthritis can be fixed. Silly moo. DD

k015.gif
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    'I didn't know you could have arthritis in more than one joint.'

Don't you wish you didn't either :roll:

I suspect the problem is historic. Everything is lumped together under the general heading of 'arthritis' from arthro = joints(?) and 'itis' = inflammation. If I remember my Greek o-level rightly (which I seldom do), the plural should be 'arthritides' . Maybe we should distinguish between those who have arthritis and those who have arthritides.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I think this is a case for an evil santa smile :xmas_evil:

There is such a huge lack of understanding about the 'other' arthritis - the autoimmune one, the one that isn't about replacing joints but about the broken switches of the immune system that can be softened a bit but never mended. I'm not sure what can be done to raise awareness but I do know that if awareness was raised then maybe, just maybe we could tick the silly moo comments off the list of arthritis side effects and wouldn't that be lovely? I know when I start the 'I've got arthritis...' comment and get somebody who replies with 'oh what type? my cousin/ brother/ mum has rheumatoid and it is so horrible' it feels like I'm being given a hug because that is a whole different conversation, understanding and response to the 'oh my knee gets bad when it is cold, you've no idea' :roll: conversation.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm sat down and i ache all over i would like it in one joint. i have a friend who say's she has it in her finger i would like that.
    it's the same with o por if you have that in your hips you have it everywhere.
    that's what i was told by the doc.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I like that Joan - do you think we can pick which joint we have it in?! If so I opt for the little finger of my left hand, top joint only please.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    DD, your neighbour obviously belongs to the same school of thought as my sister-in-law. Because her arthritis affects only one knee, now replaced, she has no clue about the auto-immune variety.

It wouldn't be too bad if only one joint was affected - I think I could cope with that. Like LV, I think people's view of RA would be different if a message could be got across about its complexity. I, too, always feel hugely relieved when I meet someone who 'gets it.'
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Not a very neighbourly neighbour is she, some more :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    As a younger person, people like your neighbour make me extra cross. For a while, I took to telling people; I have an autoimmune disease that attacks my body leaving scars on my eyes and eating away at my joints. I had far fewer "just try apple cider vinegar" and similar.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Surely your neighbour could have helped. Wouldn't have taken more than a minute. I must admit that I used to think there was only one sort of arthritis. I think it is a case of letting people know that there are a lot of types. When people ask me how I am, I tell the truth rather than saying I'm fine. Most of them are shocked when I explain what RA is.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    At long last - we have a plural for arthritis! I hate lumping my ghastly gorillas under the one heading but, not surprisingly, my spellchecker doesn't like it. Tough. I have arthritides - it even sounds worse!

Oh Joan, I empathise. The cold makes the aches worse, doesn't it? It makes sense to me that osteoporosis would be everywhere. Bother. :xmas_sad:

I do, occasionally, hark back to the glory days of just the one joint (I now realise how easy life was back then) but then I move, everything twangs like snapping knicker elastic and I am slamdunked back into my current reality. :cheesygrin: Hey-no, no matter, it is what it is and it will do what it will do. I think you've hit the nail on its head, LV, people cannot comprehend the delicacy and intricacy of an auto-immune condition but then maybe we're expecting too much of the unaffected hoi-polloi. They don't need to know about it so why do we think they should? I was disappointed in the neighbour because she watched me struggle even though she must have had some vague idea of how difficult things can be. Mind you, it's her husband that deals with their bins, she only shifts the empty ones. :lol:

Today DD will mostly be grouchy! :cheesygrin:

a151.gif
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed my older sister read about RA firstly she admits to see what if any the effects it could have on her own family (I like her honesty) then to see how it could affect me and my life and then she told me whenever I need her to do anything or want anything just call her ,my sister -in-law on the other hand is a different kettle of fish her response is take this or that like my friend did :xmas_evil: .Like LV I'm picking little finger left hand top joint. Mig
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi, I remember telling a couple of friends about my arthritis and the reply I got was, I've got that in my little finger! Lovely. Shame for her huh. I thought wow that's the same, not. I haven't mentioned since. !
    Not the same as aching all over, trying not to cry and hands hurting when trying to write notes at work, back, hips etc (last night's/now example)
    I'm with ya DD let's be grumps today, the weather is rubbish!
    Kirstyxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    i dont mind having it in my little finger on my right hand i'm left handed.
    take care all
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    A colleague at work told me her GP had said she had arthritis (oa) in her knees, one hip and hands. I was sympathetic and asked what meds she was on, diclofenac? Naproxen? She replied oh the doctor didn't prescribe anything and I don't like taking painkillers anyway!
    I only have oa but even before this knew there was a difference between the two.
    Hope you sent your neighbour some angry Santas! :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil:
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    A colleague at work told me her GP had said she had arthritis (oa) in her knees, one hip and hands. I was sympathetic and asked what meds she was on, diclofenac? Naproxen? She replied oh the doctor didn't prescribe anything and I don't like taking painkillers anyway!

:xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: What really narks me is the implication that the rest of us do :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil: :xmas_evil:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I agree, for many of us they are a necessary evil.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I have a horrible ability which I try to stop myself from doing but when somebody says 'I don't like taking medicine' or similar lines my evil self says 'hmph well you can't be suffering that much then'. It's a bit judgemental but is in line with the implication that the rest of us want to have a drugs list as long as your arm. I'm currently battling the voice on my head with the medicine is a drug company conspiracy theorist in my family. Really? You clearly never needed help then- see there it goes again :xmas_evil:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think I can understand why those without any major health troubles until arthritis arrives can sound so sanctimonious about taking pills on a long-term basis - they have not had to so the personal affront must be strong. My thought on hearing (or reading such comments) is 'Good for you for being so principled, suffer then and don't moan about it.' Another one that gets me is 'I don't do ill.' I have a social contact who often boasts about this - my sharp reply of 'Neither do I,' goes unnoticed. :xmas_lol:

People are wrapped up in themselves and their needs, we live in increasingly self-absorbed and self-important times. The current crop of Christmas ads for cough, cold and 'flu 'remedies' reflect the thought that not for one moment is one allowed to have even a minor spell of poorly health interrupt one's life.

I leave you with this thought: any form of illness is natural but man's attempts at reparation are not. DD

z058.gif
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Wise words, DD. When I was just a slip of a girl, I rarely had so much as a headache pill in the house - those halcyon days are long gone, and now I almost need a truck to collect my prescription.

Tezz x - waiting patiently for her humira delivery to arrive.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    ARTHRITIDES

Oh yes, LIKE it
    Will be using this in future as when asked 'why do you have crutches' etc.
    when you reply 'Arthritis', its 'oh yes I have that in my thumb'

Wish I had it in one thumb,
    lets just say every blooming joint for 20 years plus. is hardly in the same class.

Oh well thats folks for you.

ARTHRITIDES hmmmm
    Good one

Kath