Looking For Holiday Ideas/Inspiration

Options
FionaP
FionaP Member Posts: 39
edited 22. Dec 2014, 23:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I have RA in all joints plus OA in my back and neck.
I was diagnosed last year and had been receiving treatment for 4 months when we went on holiday to Greece in September (cooler time).
I found I got more and more swollen, water retention I'm assuming, as every day went by. I was very careful with my activities, making sure I had plenty of rest, however by the end of the holiday I could hardly walk.
Within a week of being back, and oooooodles of peeing, I was back to normal!

What I'm looking for is ideas and advice on future holidays. We've always gone to the Greek Islands for two weeks either early or late in the season, however we are open to trying new things and I really don't want to struggle on my time off work.

I hope that all makes sense and look forward to your responses.

Ps we have limited funds as I am only able to work part time now days.

Fiona
X
Fi
x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There's only one answer really: cut your holiday coat according to both your financial and physical cloth. I loathe going away because I can guarantee greater physical discomfort than normal but we cannot suggest ideas as such because we don't know you, your personality or what you enjoy. Obviously skiing is out. :wink:

Many on here manage to go abroad (the thought fills me with dread) others opt to holiday in the UK. Take your meds with you, plenty of dullers too, don't be afraid to use a wheelchair if necessary (that way you can do more) and above all enjoy yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    This really is an individual thing. Some of us can't take heat, others humidity, others cold. If you only suffer from water retention while on holiday in hot places maybe you're not drinking enough. Or walking too much.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I use a wheelchair for holidays, I have a holiday wheelchair and a home chair. It means I can enjoy my holiday and so can my OH. A lot of people who use walking sticks use wheelchairs when they are away. A lot of hotels now have wheelchairs you can borrow while at there hotels, you need to ask your travel agent to ask if they have wheelchairs you can borrow. But you can get good wheelchairs on Ebay for £50 that's how much my new holiday chair cost. As for idea's we cruise a lot and find it good for both us me in chair and OH relaxing as well as pushing the staff are lovely and go above and beyond to help us. I hope I have been of help to you. And hope you have a merry Christmas! :xmas_smile:
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Over the years, I would say a cruise has been the best thing in the way of holidays. Once on board, its fairly easy and there is always help at hand from the staff.

OK, some of them are expensive but there are the cheaper ships and routes that don't work out costing an arm and a leg, and when you factor in the amount of food available almost 24 hrs it work out reasonable in some respects.

I HAVE to travel to Canada at least once a year, otherwise I would not get to see my lovely grandchildren, son and daughter in law. But a 7 hour flight and transferring, ooooohhh not great with joint problems.

Hope you get sorted for your next holiday.

Kath
  • FionaP
    FionaP Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses. I hadn't even thought about a cruise, it sounds like a great idea. I also hadn't considered a taking a wheelchair, it would give us a lot more freedom.
    Thanks again

X
    Fi
    x
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Sorry, I can’t suggest on places for holidays, as it is quite a personal thing and I don’t know what your pain triggers are. I do agree that traveling with arthritis can be challenging, however, we pre-planning and proper research; you can make it a joy.

I am all in with kath on cruise idea, all modern ships have accessible cabins and wheelchair can be rented on board. Moreover, Riverboat cruises through cities and helicopter trips over amazing scenery are two memorable ways to experience destinations and reach more remote areas without putting too much strain on your body.

Few travel agencies also specifically arrange equipment for disabled people and those with limited mobility. If you have such in your area, they will be more than happy to use their knowledge and expertise to find a location and accommodation suitable for the severity of your arthritis.

I guess, it is all about being realistic and picking up the activities within our capabilities.

Merry Christmas and love, Tia.