Obesity, the new disability

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 13. Jan 2015, 05:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
It is likely that morbid obesity is going to be classed as a disability by the EU shortly. I just wondered what others think of this. For me I can't help but think this is a disability that there is an element of choice in, there is a huge rise in obesity and surely people are responsible for what they eat and the effect it has on their bodies and health. I know there are some medications that can cause weight gain, and a few medical conditions which make sufferers want to eat all the time, but in those illnesses a lot is done to try to prevent this.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not sure is the answer. I can see that eating until you are morbidly obese is very different to gaining an arthritis or MS or an accident that lands you in a wheelchair. However, there is some degree of mental illness that must be part of becoming morbidly obese - just as if you starve yourself until you are near death through anorexia you are deemed mentally unwell surely if you do the opposite and eat yourself to near death you are also mentally unwell. Like with addiction I don't think the answer is treating the resulting condition I think the answer lies in treating the cause but once your mental health has been mismanaged to the point where you struggle to move or care for yourself then you do become disabled. So I guess yes, it is a disability but it probably has a mental health cause rather than a physical cause.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    This is a hard one for me.

I am a big lad, always have been a big lad.
    I use to do Karate, hiking, biking walking in general and was very active
    But was always a big lad.

I went on a drug from my arthritis and put two stone on, it was terrible, doctor changed it amd I am going in the right direction.

Should we class this a disablity well I am fat but not obese
    If you get lung cancer do we class that as a disablity
    If some who walks a lot and needs new Kness is he disabled
    If some one has mental illness is he disabled
    The list goes on

James
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm wondering what this could mean practically, if anything. For years I was on a register of disabled people. I can't remember anything happening as a result and now I believe it doesn't exist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I sit on the fence about this. I work with older people and many of them have lung conditions that are due to smoking. Now, one could argue that we didn't know then what we know now but what about the people who choose to continue smoking. Most are aware of the consequences and may be disabled by COPD in the future.

I believe that people who gain so much weight that they are restricted to bed and can't wash do have some kind of mental illness. It's a form of self harm and self neglect.
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I have been reading up on the BMI scale.

Why are doctors still using this rubbish when there are much better ways.

Now I have said I am a big lad, let rename that I am a fat lad I need to lose weight according to the Private hospital I was sent to two stone or more so lets say 3 stone then.

But what does Brad Pitt, Russal Crow and almost all professional rugby plays have in common with my good self, we have a high BMI

Apparently wast measurement is the best way to do things
    We have a family member with a BMI of 42 and there is no fat on him at all. I am 5ft 9 with a chest measurement of 52 and very broard shoulders.

To be honest here an I bothered by my weight, well I wasn't, we had done a life stile change and I was losing weight with out trying and my colitis doctor was happy my GP was happy and I felt good (wheat is a killer for me) then I hurt my neck went on pills that make ou gain weight so no I am not happy

James
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think whatever scale is or isn't used most of us know when we are overweight. I rarely weigh myself but will get on occasionally and, if the scales show 10 stones or 63k (depending on Mr SW's fiddlings) I know something has to give and I just stop any biscuits, cake, marmalade etc. - even wine and cider. Even if we eat a healthy diet there's always bits of junky stuff that can go. It's not rocket science and it's our own bodies and health so it makes sense to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There are many causes for obesity but, as with our conditions, the level of general public ignorance leads to the knee-jerk responses of fat people are lazy, they've brought it on themselves etc. whereas we get my nan had arthritis but she got better.

We are getting to the stage now where whatever happens to us we cannot be held responsible, it's someone else's fault or we have a 'condition'. My husband often points out that he is not tall enough for his weight (and neither am I :wink: ) but it is up to us to change that situation and we have been.

For what it's worth I reckon the main causes of fatness today are restricted incomes, general physical idleness and lack of education about food and the importance of a healthy diet. Many people live on convenience and fast foods which are packed with salt and sugar, whilst gulping down their sugar-packed fizzy drinks or pints of lager. The wealth of choice we have for food is astonishing and downright disgusting - an example is the chocolate-packed cereals aimed at children - surely these cannot be a healthy option, along with fake sugar-stuffed Weightwatchers rubbish and 'lite' options of cheddar etc. Add the increase in use of mobility scooters by those without any form of physical disability apart from weight and the downward spiral continues. I'll now get off my soapbox. :oops:

Are you disabled if you are severely overweight? I would say no but we are, as a nation, determinedly waddling towards heart attacks, strokes, diabetes etc. without a care in the world because it is not our 'fault'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I think that's a very valid point, DD, where whatever happens it's always someone else's fault - no-one wants to take responsibility on their own shoulders. I have a struggle to maintain a sensible weight, and like Sticky, when the scales creep up I have to sacrifice some of the things which cause a problem.

I can't do as much exercise as I would like - on good days I have to try. I used to swim at the pool in the town a few miles away, as it had steps for those of us who can't manage ladders, but when the council had to make cuts, the swimming pool closed, so I need to find an alternative. Probably there are many of us who know what we should be doing, but the onus is on us to actually do it.

As DD says, the array of food on offer is astonishing, but enlightened parents will not feed their children sugar-packed cereals, fizzy drinks and unlimited pizzas, pies & pasties. It starts in the home, as do most of the fundamental tools of life.

Sorry, think I've just climbed on the soap-box too!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Mmmmmmm.....

For a change I shall tread lightly on this topic BUT only cos I don't wanna be kicked off the forum lol...

Being fat is NOT a disability and should NEVER be classed as such... Makes my blood boil to be honest. Yes there are a few cases where it is not the person's fault for being obese but mainly it is just a pure and simple fact of eating too much and not exercising enough.... I am disabled through not fault of my own and I hate that... Most obese people become so by there own hands. Then wonder why they develop arthritis, diabetes, heart problems etc etc. ?.

Stop stuffing your faces with pies n cakes.....

I hope that nobody gets offended by this as that is far from my intent but I really am annoyed about this latest rubbish on the news and in the papers... :x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tony
    That was quite a calm post from you but I can read behind it LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Tony
    That was quite a calm post from you but I can read behind it LOL

Love
    Hileena

I am easing myself back into the swing of things lol... :wink: xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Osteoporosis has reduced my height and brought me into this classification, can't win can I? Only got to have xmas pud on xmas day.........
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I do feel that those classed as obese at least have some hope of getting much of their health back by reducing their weight, so if it is a disability its a temporary one. There are of course exceptions.

I hope that doesn't sound too simplistic.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Ooooh does this mean if I do a hungry hippo impersonation I'll get given a blue badge then?.Mind you they might have to visit me as I'll probably be unable to get through the door once I'm a bloater!.