LV household christmas chaos

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 6. Jan 2015, 07:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well there had to be some didn't there? It had to be unexpected too didn't it?! I spent the three months before Christmas making and feeding two christmas cakes. One for us, one for my parents. I spent those sleepless nights arthritis kindly gifts you planning how to most painlessly decorate them. It wasn't painless but it was worth it, they were pretty. Three months in the making and within 24 hours of completion the cat had sucked the sugar paste off our cake and jessie, Mr LV's dog had half eaten my parent's cake (after I had presented it to them). She then spent the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas vomiting up the Christmas cake until I was sick of washing dog bedding, scrubbing floors and smelling this regurgitated brandy scented cake.
After that he chaos of cooking christmas dinner, fitting everybody in to our Jouse and dealing with two very over excited, over fed and over tired toddlers was a mere hobble in the park.
Tomorrow night is just us four, I'm hoping the girls will soon to bed and Mr LV and I can enjoy some peace and I can enjoy the bottle of prosecco he bought me (he doesn't drink so alas I will have to slowly drink it myself. Such a chore.
Happy new year all, hope it's as pain and arthritis free as possible!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, LV - my older grandson would say, very perceptively, 'there's always some mayhem at Christmas, Gran.'

We always had to keep all the Christmas food out of reach/sniffing distance of the dogs when we had them. It's such a shame after all your hard work, but I hope your parents appreciated your efforts - I'm glad they at least got to see the finished cake.

I hope New Year's Eve will be quieter and calmer for you, and that you enjoy that bottle of Prosecco - such a terrible shame you'll have to drink it all yourself!

Hope you have a very Happy New Year, and that 2015 is kind to you all.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    What a shame about the cakes after all your hard work. Enjoy your drink tomorrow night, you deserve it. Hope the twins behave themselves.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There's an old showbiz saw about not working with animals or children - it might be worth remembering for next year! :wink:

Seriously, LV, it seems par for the course to me but I can understand the frustration after all your hard work on the cake front. I hope you all have a peaceful and comfortably sleepy New Year. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    After all your hard painful work LV that is a shame, hopefully you will get peace to sit back and enjoy your Prosecco, best wishes for 2015 let's hope it is a better year for you xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Such things are our memories made of,one day in the far distant future you will say "can you remember the time the dog ate the cake"and you will smile at each other. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh bless LV..think I have said it before, you should write the book ..the ups and downs of the LVs household...you enjoy the wine...its very well deserved..and I hope 2015 is very kind to all of you..xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello LV,

I'm jumping in here to tell you I'm currently re-reading "my dear, I wanted
    to tell you" before starting the new year by reading "the heroes welcome."
    I shall have a few slugs of Jamesons tonight and listen to three of Panufnik's string quartets and be in bed before auld lang syne.
    How old are the twins now?
    Take care and have my best wishes for the new year and your and his and
    their futures.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Ah Lignumvitae

You poor thing after so much effort making those cakes!!!!

I have to say that I read your post out to my Step-daughter and she laughed out loud!!!

Naughty girl should be ashamed of herself :wink:

I know that one day (a lot sooner than you think) you will sit back and think - I miss those days!!!

Love and ((()))

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    :shock: :lol: :roll: :xmas_evil:

Oh LV! As mig so wisely says, of such things are the indelible memories made.

A little tip for the future - from an early age my No 2 son was much better at decorating cakes than me so I baked then delegated. (Probably not just yet, though, for you :wink:

A lovely old lady, who loved baking, used to inundate us with goodies when my boys were young. One Christmas her huge apple pie was still warm when we went to bed so I left it on the kitchen unit, still in its open supermarket bag for protection. I'd forgotten our cat doubled up as a heat-seeking missile. She slept on it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Cats sleeping on pies is one of the best stories ever! Mine would undoubtably have scoffed it. I'm sure it will make a memory. It was very frustrating to see the half eaten cake and clean up afterwards but at least she wasn't more ill. We had put the cake quite high up but Jess has kelpie in her - an australian cattle herding breed. Because australians have large cattle herds Kelpies have to be able to jump onto the backs of the cows to get from one side of the herd to the other. Jess seemed to use her jumping abilities (which normally wow me) to jump up and eat from one side of the cake to the other.

Ichabod - I hope you are enjoying the books, they are well worth reading without a break between adn continue quite seamlessly I think. The girls are officially 21 months old now, full of cheek, learning new words by the day - they're latest 'wadat?' being the precursor to 'why?' They send kisses, now less sloppy than they used to be as they have refined the skill.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh my word, hasn't the time flown? The fact that they are nearly two is frightening! I have to admire the exploit of the hound - that is some skill! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    21 months already..like Toni says one day soon these antics will be missed..you keep them coming I do love to read them..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I also laughed out loud at your cakes story. That's the kind of thing that would happen in my house too! I am sorry, though.

Cats sleeping on pies! Hilarious, Sticky! :lol:
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    21 months - WOW!