The drive was alive with . . .

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Jan 2015, 10:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . very quiet birds who were intent on feeding from the three food sources positioned here and there. Yesterday there were robins, blackbirds, sparrows, blue tits, long-tailed tits, coal tits, fat wood pigeons picking up the spillage and a wren. So far this morning nary a one but I daresay they will be back. I have put out water too, and will refresh that today as I expect it's frozen over once again. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Its lovely to watch the birds feeding...especially when there are so many..we spotted a squirrel pinching the food yesterday..so its war... :xmas_lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    How lovely to have a few different tits. I have to be careful when I put the food out as my daughter's dog, who I am looking after, chases them. I've had pigeons, blackbirds, starlings, sparrows, bluetits, a robin and a wren. They all seem to tolerate each other and I've not seen any argy bargy. I have plenty of berries left but only the blackbirds seem to be eating them.
    Christine
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    We have our bird feeders hanging from one of the trees in the back garden, and there are so many of them come - they provide endless entertainment as we eat at the dining-room table. There's a robin who never misses a feed. We have new neighbours next door who have a cat which likes to wander, so we keep a wary eye out.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, cats: they are the bane of my life in terms of what they deposit and where but so far I haven't found any piles of feathers which has to be a good thing. The previous owner had a moglet but bird numbers have increased since she moved. :) We too have a squirrel who is very entertaining in his endeavours, plus some mice who also like the crumbs.

My favourite garden visitor, however, was a woodpecker who landed on our silver-coloured metal tree (plonked in our back garden), had a couple of gentle pecks and decided it wasn't for him. Oh he was pretty! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Lovely :cheesygrin:

Birds are so pretty.

We have had a thaw finally here so I think ours will be better off now.

I got my MIL some metal 'cups' on rods to post in the garden (you can pop candles in if you want to instead) to feed the birds.

I have Daisycat so keep her in whilst the early birds chomp on our bird feeders.

They and the squirrel :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    We used to have a few woodies but they haven't been around for a while. We do have a large cat population round here. The scariest was one summer when we were sitting out. With a noise like an exocet missile (Actually, I've no idea what sort of noise they make but it was loud) a sparrowhawk dived past our ears and took a chuck of feathers out of a pigeon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ah, cats: they are the bane of my life in terms of what they deposit and where but so far I haven't found any piles of feathers which has to be a good thing. The previous owner had a moglet but bird numbers have increased since she moved. :) We too have a squirrel who is very entertaining in his endeavours, plus some mice who also like the crumbs.

My favourite garden visitor, however, was a woodpecker who landed on our silver-coloured metal tree (plonked in our back garden), had a couple of gentle pecks and decided it wasn't for him. Oh he was pretty! DD

And I thought I was your favourite visitor :roll: :cry::cry::cry::wink::lol: xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP