So, how was it for you?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 5. Jan 2015, 12:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Christmas and New Year, of course :xmas_cool:

I had a wonderful, utterly exhausting ball in Scotland with our son and family. Midnight Mass followed by a wee dram, 19 for lunch Christmas Day (I knackered my wrist doing sprouts and it took over a week to recover :xmas_mad: ), terrific - ie a proper kids' - panto (Thanks Berwick :cheesygrin: ) on the Sat plus onset of streaming cold :xmas_evil: , 22 for lunch Sunday, long skypes with the Californian son & family every day :xmas_lol: and far too much alcohol and possibly chocolates throughout though the latter were all home made.

I didn't bother celebrating New Year :xmas_cool: I have almost recovered :xmas_smile:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Worn out just reading that Sticky. I also had a great Christmas, YS and DIL take it in turns with her mum to have us over for the day. Don't have to lift a finger, it's great. They always do us proud, but being waited on hand and foot can be sooooo tiring. Hard job, but someone has to do it. :wink::lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm glad you had a lovely Christmas, SW. It's family who make Christmas for me, and we all spent it in York at our younger son's house. There were seven of us as older son was there too. Midnight Mass, drinks and lovely nibbles afterwards. The two little ones had us up early on Christmas morning, but we didn't mind.

We came home on Boxing Day evening,feeling so lucky. New Year sees me cooking, with hubby's help, and more family, plus the little ones & their parents arriving later, for tea.

While I enjoyed every minute of Christmas & New Year, I think I'm now suffering from what I call 'pricked balloon syndrome.' Like probably most of us on here, I kept going,kept my best face on, played games, & now I have run out of steam, and am running on empty. Today I can barely move a muscle, but must gird my loins for a dinner my hubby has booked for next Thursday, our 43rd wedding anniversary.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Christmas and the following days were lovely. One Daughter got stuck at a train station for hours and had to return to the start of her journey but then got a lift over 2 days later. The other Daughter turned up same day so had to fit 3 extra's in somehow- but thats part of the fun!

got more visitors tomorrow so its still Christmas in my house!

Elizabeth xxxxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely time albeit exhausting and getting a horrible cold. I hope you are on the mend now.

I had a fabulous time with some of my family we went out for dinner(ten of us) as we didn't want any stress for my sister who had the bleed on the brain in August, the food was fab and couldn't be faulted, afterwards we went back to my nieces who has two girls where we played silly games, quizzes and had photos taken with silly hats and wigs that my other niece had bought. As you know I have just had a significant birthday which was also a lovely day, I am paying the price today but reluctant to up the pred hopefully will settle back down soon, I wouldn't change a thing and would do it all over again in a heart beat :xmas_cheesygrin: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Had a quiet but lovely Christmas. I went over to my daughter's on Christmas eve to spend the day with her and her family and as usual I took tne Christmas ham and some crackers. Christmas day I went to Church in the morning and then it was just the two of us. As much as anything I just enjoyed being at home and the chance to recharge my batteries before returning to work on Monday. Really looking forward to Sunday as my nephew and his family who live in Australia are over on a visit and they are coming in for dinner Sunday, haven't seen them for 4 years! Planning to cook a cassoulet and serve with home baked ( well bread machine baked) bread and I have bought a couple of nice desserts.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We all seem to have had a good time and the common denominator seems to be other people. How lovely :D
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Sticky - those are huge numbers of people to cater for, those must have been very jolly meals.
    Chaotic was my christmas but such fun! I didn't work all christmas and Mr LV did so the girls and I got into a lovely lazy morning routine of sitting in bed with the ipad and Postman Pat for company before getting up. It was luxurious and heavenly to have a bit of time for the meds to kick in before I was up and at em. Plus, by the time they had had their fill of the Pat it was starting to go light. It didn't feel quite so bleak and midwinter that way!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Mine was cancelled well, my part in it all anyway, because of an extended migraine. When I spoke to my Mum Christmas day she said: "it isn't Christmas yet, is it?" So I think we can safely postpone our visit. Sad, but I had actually done all my preparations early this year. Most years I'm scrambling to get everything done in time. OH was working Christmas and NY, so we had planned short and small celebrations anyway.

OH celebrated the NY himself and, after a couple of large Pernod and cokes, was asleep by 10pm which suited me just fine. Now, I'm just glad it's all over :D migraine especially!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I guess some Christmasses are like that. The best thing one can say about them is that they help you appreciate the others :roll: Two I recall are the one in hospital post THR - pain not bad but the food :shock: Mainly just utter boredom. Also the millennium which, having gastric flu at the time, I toasted in with gaviscon :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Our Christmas was pleasant, just the two of us and very quiet. Our New Year was very different, us and ten others round at friends' for dinner and I managed to stay up until midnight. Mr DD lurched in at around 2.30am but I didn't notice. :wink: New Year's Day brekkie was fabulous bacon sandwiches. Utterly lovely. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben