My washing machine is making a strange noise.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. Jan 2015, 09:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am trying to remember how long we've had it (I think it's around six years) but it is now making a very odd noise as it winds up for its spin cycles: a deep thrumming but intermittent noise which suggests me that a bearing might be on its way out. I am dithering about what to do - call someone out at some expense or take advantage of the current sales? If something is going wrong then other things could follow - well, we all know that from personal experience, don't we? :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD it does take some thinking about..we have had 3 in ten years the last one they said was the electronic board on the front..and they wanted a fortune ..you could ask do they do free estimates..quite a few do..there are some good offer on whashing machine at the min..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    When my washing machine went about a year ago it was bearings that went which then knackered the drum which then knackered the seal which then proceeded to flood the shop below me :shock: As Barbara says there are a lot of bargains at the moment, maybe get a couple of free no obligation quotes and weigh it up from there.............good luck DD xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's a basic model, Barbara, so it has no electronic panel whatsoever; I guess it is part of the actual machinery and given the stress it went through with the move (and living in a leaky garage for six months) I am not surprised that it's now protesting!

That is exactly what I want to avoid, Marie (and I am so sorry that happened to you) which is why I am tempted just to plump for a new one. I have been doing some research and have come across one with a self-cleaning dispenser drawer - now that sounds good to me! I seems that the majority of new machines involve electronics - doesn't everything? - and some ridiculous washing programmes. I think I will sally forth to a spicily-named electronics chain tomorrow for an investigation, especially checking if I can open the doors and drawers with ease. And I will leave him at home because this is my business. :wink:
    DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I would buy a new one, I had to replace mine recently and as my previous one was 6-7 years old decided it was worth getting a new one especially as it meant I could get one which washed at lower temperatures and have a higher spin speed.

My daughter's gave up the ghost soon after the warranty expired and when they were quoted for a repair it worked out cheaper to get a new one.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Slosh, and thank you for your information. I realise that I am fortunate in that I can go out and just do this but my thinking is that I will ultimately save myself both time and money which is always a good thing! My washer is an essential piece of kitchen kit, I couldn't cope with doing a launderette run. When we moved I threw out my old table-top little washing machine (which hadn't been used for years) and separate spin dryer so no wonder this one is playing up! :wink: DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Washing machines are essential. I find it hard now to imagine being without one but when I grew up my Mum did all the washing by hand as she didn't trust machines! I can remember a boiler with a mangle attached and also something called a flately which was an electric airer cum dryer. Even when she was in her 70s she used a stove top bolier and her only concession was a seperate spinner that emptied into a bucket.

Even at uni I washed by hand as I didn't know how to use a washing machine.

Mine is just a basic model but it amazed me how things had moved on. In the summer I found the quick, 15 mins, freshen up wash great for tops etc that weren't dirty but needed a rinse through (as my Mum would say) . Goodluck for tomorrow and hope you find something that suits you both in terms of use and your pocket.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I can remember my Grandma using a mangle - and a poss- tub too! My word, haven't we made progress since then!

I would get a new one DD, as none of them are built to last these days. The one I had before my present one was 10 years old, and the engineer was astonished at that.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    We are lucky here because we have a chap who comes out for a flat rate of about £30 and fixes trivialities within that.

He is honest and tells you whether it's worth repairing or not.

I do like the idea of a self-cleaning soap drawer :cheesygrin:

the bane of my life :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Our 'chap' charged £40 recently and is thoroughly reliable. He told us the bearing hadn't just 'gone', they'd disappeared :o

I'm another who is totally bemused by all the programmes on my new one. Why does the 'eco' cycle take 4 hours? How eco-friendly can that be?

Oh Tezz, I well recall my Granny's mangle, the posser and the dolly blue. With only these aids she took in laundry for others despite having 11 kids of her own.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello DD
    we have a man that comes when we have a problem the same as Toni.
    good luck tomorrow.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for all you replies, they are appreciated. I haven't made it out due to the Spouse being around so will go tomorrow when he is safely out of the way! Instead I have 'amused' myself with taking down the Christmas decorations and packing them away. I don't have much left to do but feel a two hour rest is a plan so I can tackle the remains - perhaps. :wink:

I will spend some time pondering the wisdom of buying a full-blown-circuit-board-crammed-with-programmes-I -will-never-use beast or whether to stick to another basic (which also has programmes I never use!) DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    My washer is ten years old, has had new bearings, a new circuit board, a new drum and on the last visit (I think because he couldn't find anything wrong but I had already made him a coffee by then) new brushes. It still goes, works like a trojan in our house and has outlasted both my Mum's and my grandma's washers - neither of which wash half as much. I have it, and most other appliances, on a care plan which means I pay about £20 a month and if they fail somebody comes to repair them or replace them all free of charge. I might be losing money on it but it is so convenient, especially because large repair bills or replacements would be quite a struggle for us to meet without a chance to save for it and I wouldn't be able to wait for a new washer!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have taken out extra insurance on the new hob and oven but I probably won't worry about the machine but I will think it over, LV, that is a good point. Right, it's time to shower, dress and go explore! DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I've never had a washing machine last 6 years!

I usually carry on until they stop working and its usually because they stop draining water out and the clothing gets stuck until we manually drain it out.
    I currently have a Bosch Avantixx 7, which cost just over£300, and I compared reviews and prices on Which? and on John lewis.

The neighbours machine has been an awful racket for several months now but hasn't yet given up the ghost!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am fortunate, tkachev, in that with it being only the two of us it isn't hammered into the ground. Well, the job is done. :D I had the options of C*rrys followed by T*sc* or J Lewis followed by their sister supermarket: I decided the latter would be the more pleasant option, and it was. No trouble parking and a lovely, calm atmosphere in both.

They had a clearance offer on a B*sch (my preferred brand) so, for £50 more (but saving £200 which isn't too shabby) I will have a much better machine than the one I was considering - it even has an allergy was cycle, the self-cleaning dispenser drawer and (I think) a drum-cleaning cycle. It will be delivered a week on Wednesday so I have my fingers crossed that my current B*sch will last out. I am now about to load it with a load of black and navy laundry items - wish me luck! DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Oh that sounds far too good to be missed! Enjoy. I found the new dishwasher far too exciting (how times change) and could barely contain my excitement when unloading it after it's first wash I realised how the old dishwasher hadn't quite been up to scratch for a while given how shiny the cups and plates were when they came out of the new one!

When our washer got new bearings Mr LV came back from the shop one night and cheerfully declared he couldn't hear the washing machine spinning from the end of the street anymore :oops:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well wouldn't you know it. :roll: It did a load earlier without one moan or grumble, just a very small 'thrummmmmm'. Now doing a second, similar-weighted load and the noise is ghastly; I feel vaguely comforted! I am excited about the new one, before now Mr DD has forked out for domestic appliances and his guiding rule has always been the cheaper the better. I'm paying for this so my rules apply! DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Mine is old ~10 years and still works reasonably well. Contrast my new fridge last year, just past the warranty and the door handle pulled right off. Does still work, but I take this as a bad sign that it may not last.

I don't know how to advise on this, sorry.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have mended one or two myself, new bearings, new motors etc etc (not a cheap way to go) and then you're left with a secondhand machine with something else waiting to go wrong, buy a new one!
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sounds like a good choice. Hope your current one lasts out.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My new toy of joy will be delivered tomorrow, sometime between 7am :shock: and 2pm. I am more than happy to stay in for this delivery. :wink:

I am stupidly excited, I know it's only a washing machine but it promises much and I am sure it will deliver. This time tomorrow our house will be smothered with airing (and very clean) washing! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm pleased I made the effort to be washed and dressed by 7am, Jim from JL has just rung - it's on its way! Time to get the kettle on, methinks. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Nice and early so you can crack on with the backlog! Doubt he'll have time for a cuppa though.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Well done on the early start! We usually seem to be first or last for deliveries. I hope it lives up to expectations.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There were two men, an older (refused a cuppa) and a much younger (who requested a black coffee with two sugars). They were here for around fifty minutes and did a splendid job in removing the old machine and sorting out the new. They even did a short test-wash to check for leaks etc. There were none.

I have done three loads and the improvement on the old one is notable: this is very much quieter, uses less water but is still a bit of a mystery when it comes to programming. Time will make everything clearer, I guess. It has a bigger porthole and, sad woman that I am, I ate my brekkie scrambled eggs sitting in front of it watching bath towels go round and round and round and round . . . . . :oops: DD