Long flight coming up soon....any advice appreciated.

Options
dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 15. Feb 2015, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Happy New Year to one and all. I haven't been around for a while, had a really rough year family wise and have only recently started popping back in to catch up with folks.

Sadly our sons marriage broke down last year and he's gone to work in New Zealand for a while....hence the long flight ahead to visit him. I know that I'll suffer as a result (I have RA) but I was wondering whether any one has any good advice to offer if you have done something similar. The flight will take over 30 hours with 2 stop overs of around 2 hours in Dubai and Sydney, where I hope we get to leave the plane and have chance to move around a bit. At least it should be warm when we get there and I can get some sun ....he is already planning lovely visits and has bought me a large bottle of factor 50 sun screen!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I'm off to Dubai a week Saturday and what I try and do is while sitting in my seat is keeping moving my legs for as long as possible. I do circles and moving my legs in a marching motion. Also I try and raise my legs up and down as much as I can. (I'm pretty lucky only being 4ft 11!!) The main thing is keeping your legs moving as much as you can on and off through the flight. You can get the stockings for anti-thrombosis (brain freeze can't remember the proper name!) Boots usually sell them. Have a good flight, New Zealand wow! Very long flight!! And I though Dubai was a long flight!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oooh exciting albeit as a result of something sad.

Right, forgive me if I attempt to teach my grandmother to suck eggs here :roll: but I'm afraid I can't remember your exact circumstances, dibdab, so I'll presume nothing.

1. If you have a bogstandard wheelchair use it at the airport. You can take it right up to the door of the aircraft then remove cushion and foot-plates to take them on board with you, and fold the chair for porters to take to the hold. The chair will need its own label at check-in. If you don't have your own ask for wheelchair assistance. Ensure the airline is aware you need this anyway and check before the return journey.

2. Drink plenty of water and fruit juice to keep hydrated (and therefore little or no alcohol). This has the additional benefit of ensuring that you....

3. …..walk around a lot :roll: to keep the circulation going, avoiding sprawled out legs and discarded blankets. The loos are too small for overbalancing to be a problem :D but I always station Mr SW on guard outside as I find the locks tricky. (This is no guarantee that he'll still be there when I exit :wink: )

4. Once you know the type of plane you're flying on, go to www.seatguru.com and find some decent seats. Some have more leg-room than others. If you don't choose your own, the air-line might allocate you bulkhead seats (though parents with small children get priority). These give more leg-room but less seat-room as the TV screens fold into the armrests. Mr SW, who is slightly wider than I, dislikes them.

30 hours is a long, long time. We only do Los Angeles – around 11 hours from Heathrow direct but longer with the flight to London first. We've tried splitting the journey but, for us, shortening the travel time is preferable.

I don't know if you'll be able to get off at Dubai and Sydney. I know a few who travel to Oz and my impression is that it depends on whether it's just a re-fuelling stop or whether you actually change planes. (Obviously you have to get off then :lol: ) The airline should be able to tell you. I vaguely remember someone telling me that she was asked to stay on, though everyone else could get off, because she'd have needed a wheelchair.

Please let me know if there's anything else you want to ask.

Oh, and tell your son to forget the celebratory meal – just have a bed ready :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice.

I've ordered the flight sock things from the internet...though my legs are somewhat chunkier than the socks so I'm not sure how that will go :? .
    Happily unless I'm mid-flare I'm usually quite mobile as long as I pace myself, though I seem to remember reading that Dubai airport is big so that may be interesting. I did look at reserving the extra legroom seats but the blurb says you have to be fit enough to release the emergency exits (heaven forbid!) so I'm guessing that puts me out of the running.
    Perhaps I'll browse the web to look for leg and ankle exercises to do in flight....
    I'll heed the lots of fluids....and associated toilet journeys.....hope the locks aren't too tricky as my fingers aren't great :o , may have to station my daughter outside on guard as she is coming with me. Perhaps I'll try ringing Emirates airline to ask for their advice about seats.
    We've gone for the shortest journey time as I know I'll be hugely stiff and I can't think that breaking the trip up will help much, we've booked a hotel with a swimming pool and hot tub in the hope that some warm water might be therapeutic.....but I rather fear that by the time we get home I'll be wiped out for a while, but it will be worth it to see our son, I'm missing his smiles and hugs and sense of fun.... emails and phone calls aren't much of a substitute.

Thank you both again.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Neither my own orthopaedic surgeon, nor the one my husband saw last year, rated flight socks as being of any use at all. I've never worn them. I do, however, change, in the departure lounge, into a pair of sandals which fasten with two expanding straps as the feet swell at altitude and, if I simply kick my shoes off, I can't get them back on again at the other end.

The seats you were looking at are those next to an exit. They do, indeed, have much more leg-room but, as you say, fitness to open emergency doors is a pre-requirement. There are other seats with less leg-room than these but a little more than others. Mr SW found one last year with a free space in front where there should have been a seat. It contained the crew's emergency hatch and he luxuriated in space all flight. Do ring the airline and ask. Emirates, I'm reliably informed, are one of the best.

You sound as if you're proposing to do without wheelchair assistance, dibdab. Please consider it. It's not just the walking but also the standing in long queues for check-in, security, passport control etc. In a wheelchair you, and your fellow travellers, just shoot, in comfort, to the front of every queue.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi Dibdab

You'll love Kiwiland! It's a wonderful place, just watch out for the sun! However, I don't envy you the flights ... my wife and I were in Oz back in June.

By the sounds of things your Arthur is far worse than mine -- I'm still pretty mobile ... I always book an aisle seat for myself, as getting in and out of seats, especially when the one in front is reclined isn't much fun, I'm 6" btw. As I'm still mobile I try to walk a lot at the airports, Dubai airport is massive, plenty to see, make sure your hand luggage is on wheels!

The flight from Dubai to Sydney will last forever, or seem like it, it's about 13-14 hours -- I've never transitted Sydney internationally so can't comment on its airport.

I found when I arrived in Melbourne, where we flew to, I just had to go for a walk at my brother's place after we landed -- it's in a new estate so I made him show me round, I think it was a bit further than he was used to (and I'm supposed to be the crippled one lol).

You're flying Emirates so there'll be more leg room than on the budget airlines, and plenty of entertainment ... movies galore! They're a great airline to fly with.

I have to say, as I've done the trip eight times that way and nine this, I find the flight a commute, ie a real drag! Going there this time was a bit of a struggle, but not too bad, considering ... my Arthur only reared its head since the previous trip. Coming back however ... well, let's just say I'm glad I can't afford the trip every year!

Hope I haven't frightened you too much! But have a great time!
    Scozzie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I can't help , but I see the others have given you some brilliant advice..hope it all go well for you and you can relax and enjoy, when you eventually land..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. My daughter and I have just spent a couple of happy hours planning trips whilst we're there, trying to alternate longer trips with relaxing days...I can't go that far and not see plenty, so we're factoring in several train journeys where I can walk around more, and a trip to thermal pools to soak in warm mineral waters.

Scozzie, I think I'd guessed that the Dubai/Sydney stretch would be a bit of a nightmare, and the return journey is filling me with trepidation, but needs must....I need to hug my son! :) . The daughter I'm going with (his twin sister) is a zoo keeper, so I foresee several animal based excursions involving kiwis, whale watching and penguins.....as for me, well I want to see mountains and the sea. I must invest in wheeled hand luggage for Dubai airport, but it will be around 3 am when we get there..hoping I'll be able to sleep on the plane. Have charged the ipod with lots of lovely music, and the kindle has many books I'm looking forward to reading, so just about armed for the journey!

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts.

Deb x
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    some great advice above and take it all, i know i have learned somethings.

i have dont a lot of flights with 36 hours of travel and it is not great but you get there. sorry about the pun.

my advice extra from above

take some karms or something to help you sleep
    take noise cancelling headphones, we cam back from Dubi with a young mom dealing with a screening baby, i dont know how she did it. The headphone closed all this off, you dont need to spend a lot, we spent £40 on some panasonic, not as good as some put they work very well.

drink lots of water, i know that has been said but it is important.

Dubi airport is terrible, unless you are rich and have there currency Hated the place and there was no were to sit.

get to gate early.

dont drink acidic drinks this can mess with your gut and we dont want that
    take some stuff for the runs, again 30hours of travel will mess with your system

the headphones will mean you can hear the tv. so find out what is on front he airline and make a plan of what you want to watch.

on one flight i watch 8 films as i could not sleep because Diane had chanced our normal sleep helpers.

good news was i slept when i got home.

put all your med in the packets and what ever you keep them in and put this in your carry on NOT in the hold, if you luggage get lost then so does your meds. Plus you case will be opened to see it is not drugs etc

James
  • stickywicket
    Options
    JamesFoote wrote:
    put all your med in the packets and what ever you keep them in and put this in your carry on NOT in the hold, if you luggage get lost then so does your meds. Plus you case will be opened to see it is not drugs etc

An excellent point by James. I always take 7-10 day's worth of meds in hand luggage in case a hold bag goes astray. I've never yet lost one for more than 24 hours but....

You have two connections so two extra opportunities to lose the luggage :roll: If I take my Gaviscon Advance in my hold luggage (Too much liquid for hand) the USA invariably opens it (You have to leave hold luggage unlocked for USA) but they are very keen.

Another tip. Just in case one bag goes awol I always put Mr SW and myself a change of underwear and a clean blouse / shirt in each suitcase.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    I didn't have any problems with having Tramadol and 30/500 cocos in my luggage, but do keep them in their original packs. I can't remember the website, but it did advise keeping the tablets in the boxes/bottles they were dispensed in, plus carry either a copy of the prescriptions or a letter from your doctor explaining what you're on and why. The website, might've been a UAE one or Dubai. I had no problems whatsoever with the tabs as I'm only ever transiting Dubai. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as carrying all my medication in my hand luggage, but I do carry enough for a few days in case my luggage goes amiss.

As James said about the headphones that's something I've done for years, but you will need an adaptor as the airlines use a two pin system into the seat arm, you can buy them at the airport, but Maplin sell them a lot cheaper.

The Emirates website allows you to check the in flight entertainment for your flight about a month in advance, I found it was best to check the Dubai/Sydney leg which will probably be the A380, as it gives you a better run down of what you'll see ... and there are late release movies too! And the movies are on demand not looping, so you can pause them if you need to. They also have a wide choice of CDs! I was all movied out by the time I got off the plane ... lol!

Enjoy
    Scozzie
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thank you again for the advice. I've got a note from the hospital and GP about prescription meds, and I thought I'd split them between the hand luggage and hold luggage just incase. Our son is a hospital doctor working in Christchurch so hopefully if I lose meds he can sort a way to replace them!

I'm rather dreading Dubai airport, not least because the early hours of the morning are usually the time when I'm at my stiffest and most sore :( , so the cocos may be coming into their own, with the added benefit of they make me sleepy so perhaps I'll get some sleep on the long leg of the journey.

Happily my son sent me decent headphones for Christmas, maybe he was trying to circumvent the noise issues in flight.

Last time I made a journey even remotely this long I was 20, some 37 years ago.....and that was hard going so I view this journey with all kinds of mixed feelings, and the closer it gets the more twitchy I feel, but it's one of the few places in the world I've always wanted to visit, and of course like most mums I suppose, I'd go anywhere to see our son.

Those of you who have transitted through Dubai, how far is to the departure gates, and are there moving walk ways or will I have to walk all the way, it would be useful to know ahead of time how much time I need to plan in, or whether I need to swallow my pride and ask for some assistance ahead of time as Sticky suggests,,,,it's hard sometimes to admit I can't cope with stuff I used to find easy :? .

We're just home after 3 days in an incredibly wet and windy North Wales, so I'm looking forward to arriving in New Zealand in the summer.....how I long for some sun on my aching joints.

Deb x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Deb,

Good to hear from you, happy new year! An exciting trip for you borne out of something difficult for your son but I'm sure he'll be delighted to see you.

I went away in November for the first time since RA. I was horrified at the thought of airport assistance, never mind sitting in a wheelchair pushed by a complete stranger. As it turned out, it made the holiday so much more pleasurable. We sped through every queue and were treated like royalty. People were so kind and respectful whereas I'd be worried, I might be looked down upon. Looking back, I'm not sure I could have managed the journey and it was only to Egypt. I would take airport assistance again in a heartbeat. Travelling is stressful business but this alleviated any concerns about my mobility.

I wish you all the best of luck.
    Sophie x
  • Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Deb

I went to Thailand in December and for the first time I asked for assistance through Dubai and Bangkok.

On the way out when landing in Dubai I was met off the plane with a wheelchair then taken straight through baggage/passport check and taken to a small departure lounge which is specifically for people who need assistance. They then come and get you an hour before departure and take you to your departure gate - they did offer to take me right to the plane door but I declined - I was okay to walk the short distance. All in all it was well worth asking for.

Unfortunately on the way back there was no one there to meet me so I had to walk to the departure gate. Luckily there are moving walk ways all over the airport so it wasn't too bad and our gate was the nearest.

So my advice is ask for the assistance - I will certainly be doing it when we go again.

Tracey
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi

If you're flying on a 777 to Dubai, you'll probably need to change terminals to catch what I'd expect to be an A380 (the double decker) as they use a different terminal ... anyway there is a train runs between the two terminals, which is great, I believe you're not allowed to walk between or there isn't a way of walking between them, they didn't give me an option of walking it (I am still pretty mobile, even if I limp and struggle up and down stairs). They do seem to have assistance for those who need it, just ask if you think you might need it!

Scozzie
  • Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Scozzie

I flew to Dubai from Manchester about 3 weeks ago on a 777 and then onto Bangkok on the A380 and we didn't change terminals and didn't go on any trains. They all went from the same terminal.

Not sure if other airlines do different things - we flew Emirates.

Tracey
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi Tracey

We flew Emirates in June on the type of planes as you and had to change terminals, coz the 380s can't use the normal terminal I believe. As long had a great time.

Scozzie
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    scozzie wrote:
    I didn't have any problems with having Tramadol and 30/500 cocos in my luggage, but do keep them in their original packs. I can't remember the website, but it did advise keeping the tablets in the boxes/bottles they were dispensed in, plus carry either a copy of the prescriptions or a letter from your doctor explaining what you're on and why. The website, might've been a UAE one or Dubai. I had no problems whatsoever with the tabs as I'm only ever transiting Dubai. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as carrying all my medication in my hand luggage, but I do carry enough for a few days in case my luggage goes amiss.

As James said about the headphones that's something I've done for years, but you will need an adaptor as the airlines use a two pin system into the seat arm, you can buy them at the airport, but Maplin sell them a lot cheaper.

The Emirates website allows you to check the in flight entertainment for your flight about a month in advance, I found it was best to check the Dubai/Sydney leg which will probably be the A380, as it gives you a better run down of what you'll see ... and there are late release movies too! And the movies are on demand not looping, so you can pause them if you need to. They also have a wide choice of CDs! I was all movied out by the time I got off the plane ... lol!

Enjoy
    Scozzie

Thanks for that, I've just looked and have chosen my viewing choice for our flight to and from Dubai!!! :D
  • scozzie
    Options
    You'll be sick of movies by the time you get home, never mind flying! lol

Enjoy!!!! Kiwiland is lovely!!!!
  • dibdab
    Options
    I'll be looking up those movies, thanks for the information. I think we fly 777 all the way, so maybe I won't have to change terminals, but I'm beginning to come round to asking for some assistance just in case! I'll take a trip to Maplins to look for 2 pin plug things for the plane too.
    It's snowing here.....makes the prospect of 3 weeks of sunshine more attractive!
    Deb
  • dibdab
    Options
    Just checking in before my long flight this week to Christ Church, the weeks of preparing have flown and by this time next week I'll be watching stars in a dark sky reserve in the mountains.......more than a little excited.

I've taken on board all the good advice you've offered, and finally swallowed my pride today and phoned the Emirates office to request assistance through the airports at Dubai and Sydney, though I'll do the Birmingham step independently to start while I'm still fresh and moving. Isn't it hard to admit that things have changed and we need some help !

So I hope you all stay well, see you in mid-March when we get back.

Deb x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Have a good as possible trip Deb and a great time with your son. My daughter, her husband and my 2 grandchildren emigrated to Melbourne a few months ago so I'll be making the trip soon I hope. There's some great advice here I'll keep a note of. I've heard Emirates are the best airline.
    Christine
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Have a great time Deb, hope you get through the journey without too much pain xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles