The new, New Year

Options
Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 13. Feb 2015, 08:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
While I was away, I did learn how to post pictures.....hopefully this worked...

These two beauties hatched on New Year's day. No one told my hen it's the wrong season entirely! May your 2015 hatch beautifully too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127708973@N07/16200494582/

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aaaaw, I'm in love :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh wow! What a lovely couple they are - how exciting! Thank you, Anna, they are beautiful and well done to your girl. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Options
    They are! They look so different from each other because there was an egg-stealing event from another hen. She is determined to be a mum!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Awww bless ..they are so cute..and I must say what lucky chicks they are :xmas_smile: ..thanks so much for sharing..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Far too gorgeous, you must be so happy with those little sweeties to start your new year!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    Too cute for words. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,135
    Options
    Oh they are fabulous, I'm so envious.. I would LOVE hens.. New Year, isn't that just lovely. :D What gorgeous things (dissolves into sentiment & cooing).

(Glad you followed the photo thread ok, it is still on my list for re-working a bit, my head & the internet do not seem to be getting on lately but I will get to it.)
  • Boomer13
    Options
    The hens were the best thing I've done in a long time! I adore them and they provide much simple entertainment and not too much extra work. I dissolve into cooing and sentiment every time I look at the babies. Will post an updated pic soon; they're growing up fast, well mostly their wings which look huge for their bodies :lol: Good thing they don't mind me laughing at them!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awwww Anna they are adorable. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    How are they getting on, Boomer? And are you very snowy? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Ahh they're lovely, DD. They are a month old (almost), one looks like a chicken and the other one looks like a miniature vulture! I'll post a pic if I can get one today. They're smart and have trained me to come when they peep incessantly; they love sitting on my shoulder. Another hen is sitting on two more eggs. I explained the seasonal problems to her of raising little ones during the winter but she obviously didn't listen as she has been tending the nest for a week now.

Too cold for the chicks to go outside but overall we are having a very mild winter with a couple of cold, below zero episodes but barely any snow. I guess we got two year's worth last year :lol: There is still time though, last year we had an abundance of snow in February. There are leaf buds on the fruit trees already.

Sorry for the delay answering but I got my floor steamer. Great thing it is!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Maybe you need to have a quiet word with the cockerel, not the hen :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the mini-vulture - on your shoulder :o
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Sticky, do cockerels of any species ever listen?
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    No! Too busy strutting about making a racket
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Finally, I took some pictures. They are so hard to photograph as they hardly ever stop moving! Sticky, I may have have missed the small ones' vulterine stage.....apologies. It was very entertaining, though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127708973@N07/16242344399/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127708973@N07/15870800454/

And, watching Dexter re-runs together:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127708973@N07/15873214353/

Soon they will be out in the barn. They grow up very fast and almost have their full coat of feathers. Of course, we will continue to spoil them with a heat lamp and treats. No more TV, though :D

They are orphans now as we had a tragedy with a mink in the hen house :o He killed all the chickens there in a single go I managed to rescue some eggs to incubate, although I was tempted to end my newish hobby then and there.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh Anna, aren't they growing? And growing so beautiful! You must be proud of yourself. I hope the rescued eggs are successful too.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    They bring me a surprising about of joy! :jheart: I am proud to have brought them along so well. One is a rooster and the other a hen. They are particularly funny right now because they think they can fly. They can't. Like all youngsters, they have a joy for living that is wonderful and I do try to let it rub of on me. Now all we need is to get out from under our foggy, gloomy weather and have the sun come out so they can go outside a bit.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh yes! To see the world through the eyes of the young is very special. It makes us realise how jaded we've become and how predictable our reactions. To them, everything is new and fascinating and to be investigated. It's so refreshing. Keep doing whatever you're doing because you're obviously doing it well :D
    Steven Wright