Salt and pepper mills

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 10. Jan 2015, 10:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
LV's 'peeler' thread has prompted me to ask about these. I like to have salt and pepper freshly ground on my food but I have the wrong kind of hands for most of the mills. I did used to have a pair which each had two handles sticking up which had to be squeezed together. This I could cope with but one has now departed to the great salt cellar in the sky (if that's not a bit tortuous). Similar ones seem not quite similar enough. If the handles are too far apart to start with I still can't manoeuvre them.

Any that require me to twist with one hand while holding with the other is likely to result, at best, in whoever is to my left getting a face full of pepper.

I'm thinking I shall have to fork out for some expensive battery-powered ones.

Any ideas?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Someone tall, dark and gorgeous to offer to grind it for you? Could be wearing lycra, if you like :D

Failing that, I think you deserve an expensive, battery-powered one.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I haven't seen any battery - operated ones, though I'm sure they're out there somewhere. I use a rather ugly-looking one from L*k***nd, which is easier for me to grip,though it does still require twisting, but much easier than other mills I've tried.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We have the battery-operated kind but they are quite clunky and heavy (once they are loaded with the batteries) and may require two hands to operate; some have the push-button on the top, others on the side. They are quite expensive to run, especially if you have the kind with a light too. What about keeping in a small jar of coarse-ground black pepper to hand? It's easy to add to food when cooking and easy to shake over your meal if required. (There are various salts available too but ensure they are not of the 'mill' type.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I gave up and embraced this problem last year with a pair of kitch bulldog salt and pepper shakers. It isn't freshly milled but it is easy to use and has a retro style that makes up for the lack of freshness! Remember when people used to have collections of salt and pepper pots? That will be me in twenty years time :)
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh *****, I hadn't factored in weight. I think I shall just forget about the mills and just resurrect my stainless steel holders, a wedding present of 44 years ago :roll: However, I'm very tempted by Boomer's excellent suggestion. She talks my language :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    This set me thinking so I did some research on a well-known on-line supermarket. As some of you may know I am a fan of the OXO Good Grips range and, sure enough, there were battery-free salt and pepper grinders with very good reviews. Today I went to a large Sainsbury's and they had them, at much cheaper prices, so, dear Readers, I bought a pair.

I'll report back after I've done my lunch! DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oooh interesting. Thank you, DD. I might have a pootle round our nearest S'briz.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, I am very pleased with my purchase. :D It is easy to adjust from fine to coarse and it takes relatively little effort to twist - surprisingly the grip is good ( :wink: ). I do have rickety hands but not as rickety as some on here so it may not suit everyone. DD
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    As a suggestion from someone who used to turn Salt and pepper mills can you find a friendly woodturner to make you some to your specification that has a diameter you find easier to hold ? Regrettably I got rid of my lathe and all my tools when RA struck otherwise I would have been interested to have a go. It struck me that within reason the fatter an object the less you have to screw your hands up to get a grip.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Bless you, pot80, what a king thought! My son did a spot of woodturning once. I don't know if he still has his tools but I could ask. It might be a bit beyond his skills though. Plus, until I actually try with something I can never know whether I can or can't. I shall bear that in mind, though. Thank you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Funnily enough I have just bought a set of battery operated mills which are not too heavy and so easy to operate, I was fortunate to have received a gift voucher for my birthday which paid for them xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles