Finger trouble

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 7. Jan 2015, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I seem to have a problem with my right index finger - trying to type this with my middle finger plus left index finger! The right one keeps locking in an upright position, and refuses to bend for a couple of minutes, when it finally bends, with a mighty clunk. This means I`m prone to dropping things, plus it`s difficult to hold my walking stick,( the right-hand one, which I need for my left leg)

Has anyone had this happen? I try not to contact my rheumy team except for real emergencies, and I`m doubtful this constitutes one. Each time it locks I`m convinced it won`t bend at all - which would be a nuisance.

I`m used to my jaw making the same clunking sound, so I`m hoping I may be able to clunk in harmony, if I can sort out the timing.

Tezz x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hm. Tricky. I know DD has mentioned a similar problem with a toe. I know I used to have it with knees. I never worked out an answer though other than physically shoving them back to where they should be. Maybe your GP could help here?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, my toes can go into a spasm which is painful for as long as it lasts; the tendons become rigid and my toe or toes are 'locked' at a 45 degree angle or so to my foot. I have to wait it out for the tendon to soften then all is right again.

My late Ma's right middle finger would 'lock' in a bent position from the middle knuckle, she would just grab it and straighten it with the 'clunk' you mention; that was trigger finger but your sounds somewhat different. I don't think this is a rheumatology thing but it might be worth asking your GP about it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Could you not type with some sort of hand support they have the ones with fingers in them...I only use the thumb and wrist support at the min so dont know if they would help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Thanks ladies - I think I'll see how it goes over the next few days. I'm due to see my GP in a couple of weeks anyway. Hopefully it might be working properly by then.

Tezz x