Hydrotherapy pool course :-)

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 19. Jan 2015, 15:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just been for my second physiotherapy appointment this morning. We discussed my exercises - and the fact that I'm still in pain - and I told her about waiting for blood test results and the possibility of fibromyalgia. So, she took me by surprise by saying that, as well as continuing with the exercises, she thought I would benefit from a 6 week course in their hydrotherapy pool. It's a fairly new addition to the hospital and sounds lovely. So I'd better sort out my swimming costume, which may be rather dated. I'll probably have to darn any holes in the sleeves! :lol:

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hydrotherapy did amazing things for me so I hope you get the same benefit. I had lost a lot of confidence because of arthritis and a few associated struggles, I seemed to gain a lot of balance and awareness, if not control, of things like my spine through the hydrotherapy (and it is lovely and warm). Weirdly, once I got that body confidence back I went on to change quite a few things in my life that made a lot of difference to my overall confidence and happiness. Not sure how far those two were related but the hydrotherapy did feel like I was being given the reins of self help and that was really important for me...I got a new swimsuit for the occasion but halfway through the course ended up reverting to an old one because I had purchased a pretty one that was designed for lounging in rather than moving! I always used to treat myself to a nice hot Jamaican patty (like a spicy pasty) afterwards too so that turned the therapy into a proper little pamper session for the likes of an LV!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oh how lovely, megrose! Whenever I've been on a physio ward hydro has been the most coveted treatment. One can do things, supported by the water, that one can't do on dry land and so lazy muscles can be got working again. You will, of course, be fully aware of this next day :roll: but just take it gently and steadily and you should reap the benefits. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi.. Hope that you enjoy the pool.. I have just started a course myself. I did the same thing a few yrs ago.. was lovely in the pool.. sadly things went back to normal once home plus the aches from the excersising lol... Best of luck Megrose

Sticky, Chapel Allerton have just reopened their pool..... :wink: I shall save you a spot lol.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I bought a Hot Tub in February last year, on eBay and it was about one third of the "new" cost.

I am in it most evenings, despite the cold weather it is lovely in the tub.

I also had solar panels installed, there is a company that gives them away, everything is free, and I mean free, and my eleccy bill was reduced by £1800.00 for the first six months, and that includes using the hot tub.

I do benefit from using the tub, hot water and air jets are brilliant, I think it was well worth the cost.

PM me if you want to know who provides the free solar panels.
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Apologies people I had a slip of the fat finger - I meant to write £180.00, the dot was in the wrong place, thank you Stickywicket.

However I had a check and the saving is actually £281.00 for the six month period.

I can look up my energy produced on the internet and see the panels are still making Kilowatt hours electricity even during the winter weather. It doesn't have to be warm sunshine to generate.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Meg
    good luck I hope it helps you.
    I've been going for 17 years never noticed any difference I have to have a letter from the doctor for a year the water is warm and it is easier to move your body.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope it works for you Meg xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Just come out from my second hydro session. Worked quite hard today. Did a few legs and hips first them went into shoulders. Am very tired now lol.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I've found hydro lovely whilst I've been in the water.

Make sure afterwards that you drink plenty of water as you can get very dehydrated. You may also be extremely tired so try to plan your session so that you can have a rest or not do too much afterwards.

Please let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 286
    Options
    ive been going to hydro once a week for over 19 years now.
    i do have to get a new referral once in a while to keep the money coming in.
    it certainly makes a difference for me and im left alone to do my own thing now as it varies which parts of me need pushing more than others.

my hospital also started a private session up about 3 years ago and it was so popular that they do about 7 sessions a week now.
    you get your initial 6 week referral and then if you want to carry on they charge £3 for a 30 minutes. its certainly worth it compared to going to a normal swimming pool that is always cold.