Dreading forthcoming Hip op

Options
18amandah
18amandah Member Posts: 34
edited 12. Jan 2015, 04:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Sorry to be a pian, but I am now thinking why oh why me? I called the Nuffield and we got talking, and I said that I have a problem with a fungal nail infection ( Toenails) This is being treated. Before I had mentioned this The Matron said I will have to have daily injections in my tummy to stop DVT. So with this result I am now sobbing my heart out. My Friendly foot lady is going to come with me to see a GP But I am wondering if any one on this forum has had a hip op . I hate tablets , am ok with capsules/liquid.I am sooooo scared and why of why me? sorry to moan regards Amandah

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We are aware that you are not looking forward to this operation - in fact I don't think that many approach major surgery with any degree of glee but it's best to keep your eyes on the prize of much reduced pain and better mobility: to get there will take determination and hard work because you too have to play your part, the surgeon cannot do it all for you.

Heparin injections are common after surgery to prevent DVTs, and the stomach is the best place to do them because there are fewer nerve endings in that part of the body - they should not be done too near your navel, though, I remember being told that about any stomach injection. Many people on here have had replacement joints and no longer post because they are out there, getting on with their lives; hopefully you too will be included in that number.

The only answer to 'Why me?' is 'Why not?' You have not been singled out in any special way, you have around a further eight million people in a similar boat to you and we all have to make the best of what we have; this operation will hopefully make your lot in life at least a little better than it is at the moment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Why you? Amanda, there are many people who would think it's because you got lucky while they have to struggle on. That will probably be of little consolation to you but I promise you if you try to focus on the good things about this operation rather than the bad things you will start to feel much happier about it.

I've had both my hips replaced, one about 20 years ago and the other about 10-12 years ago and I've had no problems with either and no pain. I did my exercises conscientiously before and after the ops. Yes, they hurt at first afterwards (and before) but then so did my hips before the operations. As DD says, the surgeons can only do so much. The rest is up to us. If you start doing your exercises now you'll be giving your new hip a head start. And if you focus on this, and other positive things, you'll have less time to worry about potentially bad things.

The injections are routine in many hospitals for some days after a THR. They are to prevent blood clots and are given in the tummy because that is the least painful place. You can do your own bit to prevent blood clots just by doing the exercises and walking when asked. That's what I like to focus on before an operation – all the good things that will come as a result and what I can do to help this op work. I try to banish any negative thoughts as soon as they arrive even if it's only by reading or watching TV. It's a choice. Some days it can be much easier to allow the negative thoughts free rein but then they grow out of all proportion. Whereas a determination not to let them dominate creates a space for the positive thoughts to grow into and makes us feel rightly proud of ourselves for managing to do it.

Remember, at the end of the day no-one will force you to have this op. You're in charge. It's your decision. If you decide to go for it then go for it. Make it work. Don't look back. We will be here to support you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Amanda
    I know how scared you are about this op but the injections are no problem at all.
    Done in your stomach, they don't hurt, you might have a few bruises...in fact if you are like me you will have :lol: but that's all and they disappear
    When you go for your pre assessment ask about the tablets?
    Can you have liquid instead....they'll make a note of it and might be able to sort that out so that's one thing less for you to worry about.
    Well you know where I am :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Aw Amandah :(

I don't know why you either :( Just bad luck I'm afraid.

I am sure most medications can be given in tablet form. My daughter has leukaemia and at times had throat infections so a lot were done that way.

As Hileena said you can ask about them at your pre-assessment.

The injections are because you will be less mobile than you should be, but as soon as you are moving about more after the op you won't need them.

I am so glad you have someone to go with you to the GP

Love

Toni xxx
  • Tryingtokeepsmiling
    Tryingtokeepsmiling Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Amandah,

I had a hip replacement due to arthritis in my hips about eight years ago now and I was very anxious before the operation as it felt such a big operation but I was in so much pain and I could hardly walk by then I was ready to get it done.

The operation went well, I admit it was very painful and the first six weeks were tough as you are in hip restrictions but I religiously followed the physio exercise and I also had hydrotherapy when helped loads. I was so stiff and looking day by day did not feel things were that good but when I looked at the week to week and month to month progression it was amazing. I was able to go for long walks again, swim (swimming was fantastic for me), and dance. After about nine months I started adult ballet and it really helped my flexibility and strength. The funny thing was about a 18 months after my op a woman in my ballet class was told she needed a hip replacement and she went for it after some hesitation. She followed the physio advice and said although it was a tough few months it was worth it as her pain was so much better and she was able to move much more freely.

I know people can have different experiences but I was so glad to have the new hip in the end.

Best of luck,
    C
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello tryingtokeepsmiling :) What a very expressive username and what a lovely, positive and helpful first post! I'm so glad your THR is such a success story (as are mine). Let's keep plugging away, eh :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright