infections

Options
jules5
jules5 Member Posts: 15
edited 12. Jan 2015, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all can I just ask I have a chest infection at moment and I am on antibiotics, does anyone have a flare up if you have any infection and antibiotics don't seem to help me feel too good either .how do they effect you all .thought it would be a good discussion tosee how many of us suffer with either iinfection or the antibiotics .thank u all jules x☺

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    For me it depends on the severity of the illness/infection. Many years ago when I contracted an extremely rare disease and was close to dying my joints never felt so good and I had no aches and pains. The only explanation I have is that my immune system was so busy trying to fight things off that it ignored the arthritis side of things and diverted its attention to the disease that I had contracted. I have also been in the same situation feeling great arthritis wise when I had pneumonia which came on after a bad cough.

For normal not so server infections I'd probably say I feel much worse than normal and usually feel sick from the antibiotics which also doesn't help things but I don't really think I've ever had a big flare from any illness.
  • jules5
    jules5 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    As5567 wrote:
    For me it depends on the severity of the illness/infection. Many years ago when I contracted an extremely rare disease and was close to dying my joints never felt so good and I had no aches and pains. The only explanation I have is that my immune system was so busy trying to fight things off that it ignored the arthritis side of things and diverted its attention to the disease that I had contracted. I have also been in the same situation feeling great arthritis wise when I had pneumonia which came on after a bad cough.

For normal not so server infections I'd probably say I feel much worse than normal and usually feel sick from the antibiotics which also doesn't help things but I don't really think I've ever had a big flare from any illness.
    Thank you for ur answers ,yes I feel quite sick with antibiotics. Hope u are OK at the ,moment xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I remember a doc telling me once that anything that raises the body temperature can kick off the RA though I wouldn't call it a proper flare as it does die down again fairly quickly. I know some auto-immuners feel better on antibiotics though. If they affect your stomach you can probably get some different ones from the doc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If I catch an infection that requires antibiotics I stop my methotrexate and humira so that my immune system can fire up a little and help to fight it off - the arthritis eases a little too which is always a help. Always take your tablets with food, antibios or anything else on an empty stomach is rarely a good idea. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben