Hyaluronic acid injections

Options
Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 24. Jan 2015, 05:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
My GP has suggested that I try hyaluronic injections for the OA in my knees but apparently I will have to pay because there hasn't been enough research yet to say that it definitely works, so no NHS prescriptions.

I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they worked? I've had a steroid injection which resulted in a hideous flare up and not a great deal of relief. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated

Fay

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think this is very much still at the trial stage, Fay, but the latest report from Arthritis Research UK suggests there might be something in it. http://tinyurl.com/kdqk3so. If you click on the little blue 'search' button above on the right (NOT the pink search box but underneath it) and then enter the words 'hyaluronic acid', some old threads come up. I don't think many on here have tried it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    I thought that might be the case. I might give it a go and see what the results are like. Hopefully it can't make it any worse! Thanks for the links :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Fay..and I don't think we have met so welcome to the forum, sorry I cant help but would you please update us if and when you have them done, my OH has OA in his knee and is hoping he can find something to help..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    Good to meet you Barbara and I will do that :)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I had these years ago - didn't work for me. Via NHS. My London Hospital instructed my GP to do these. They couldn't as not steroids but they did do the prescription. GP ended up organising three consecutive weekly appts for me at the end of Fracture Clinic at my local hospital.

Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Hope you manage to get these sorted out. Good luck.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Fay :) Not sure if they are the same thing but I had my knees injected about a year ago by my Rheumatologist - think it was called something like Synvisc. It is a cushioning gel a bit like treacle I was told by my rheumy! It contains hyaluronan?? - or something like that. It has been very successful for me. I have been told I can have them every six months but I have only needed the one so far. My knees were very painful before and swollen. They are still swollen and I still have pain in them but nowhere near what it was like before and I have managed to take my little pooch out for a walk most days since having them done.

Do hope you get some relief soon!

With very best wishes

Patricia xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Mine were Synvisc injections.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Sonia50
    Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am a newly diagnosed OA sufferer... my main problem area is my hands but I am awaiting news about my spine and ankle. I have been offered injections for my worst affected fingers but am not sure whether to have them or not ... mixed views from my GP too who says the more severe the problem the less effective the injection .. any thoughts would be appreciated
    I am 49 and work as a private housekeeper .. think Downtown Abbey and you wouldn't be far out!! .. I want to carry on but am not sure how long for ... ant tips for managing pain would be great.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Sonia50

Welcome to the Arthritis Car forums although we're sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm sure the lovely people here will be along soon to reply to your questions.

If you have any technical difficulties in using the message boards, please don't hesitate to ask for help.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi Sonia and welcome from me too :)

I've never had my fingers injected. I've had good results in the past with knees and shoulders but the problem with these injections is that they work for some but not others and there seems to be no way of telling in advance if you'll be one of the lucky ones.

I know some on here have had them but I can't remember how successfully. There are some old threads here which might be of use http://tinyurl.com/mzbfyr8

Dealing with pain? We all have our favourite methods. I like distraction ie anything I can get absorbed in. Meditation can help. Just talking to others on here can help as at least it reminds us we are not alone. Then there are the pain relief meds.

I think you'll get more replies if you start a new thread headed 'finger injections' or some such. I'm not sure many will find your post on here.

Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    Hi Sonia and welcome! :)
    I hope you find this forum as useful as I have so far - I've also got OA but in the knees.

Pain relief-wise I do like a hot water bottle which is simple but effective. I'm on lots of meds from the GP who has now prescribed me capsaicin cream - will report back on that once I have picked it up!

Good luck and hope you find some relief soon
    Fay
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    In other news I failed abysmally to organise the injections because I found out that my GP is leaving the surgery and just ended up really upset and trying to find out as much as I can about my joints before he goes and generally feeling frightened. I've had really bad GPs before so it all feels like I am back to square one :cry:

Hoping to get on top of things soon, but a tough week all round...