Nice to be home!

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 14. Jan 2015, 11:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
After months and months on end of unexplained muscle spasms and problems breathing I have finally been "fixed"

Shortly after Christmas I spent a couple of days in hospital due to breathing problems and the doctor I saw was really unhappy with my blood oxygen levels so I was sent to the medical admissions place where they try to diagnose what's wrong and then either send you on your way home or to an appropriate ward. Because it was still the Christmas/new year period they decided to discharge me after running some tests and wanted to see me in clinic the following week to discuss the results.

Thankfully the day I went to see the doctor at the clinic I was having a really bad day with the muscle spasms and not being able to breath tidy, previous to this no doctor had seen me at my worst and I'd always have to try and describe my symptoms. The doctor took one look at me and told me I need to go back into hospital today and urgently see a neurosurgeon while I'm like this.

My local hospital is very run down and doesn't offer many services so I was sent to the hospital which I used to attend for my Arthritis problems. I saw the surgeon, he sent me for some scans and a load of blood tests, couple of hours later he told me I need surgery on my back and I need it today. I had 1 disc that needed to be removed and a bone fragment that was pressing against a part of the spinal cord. They went over the risks and all the other important stuff with me which I thought I fully understood. After the operation I expected to have a decent size incision in my back with stitches but to my surprise all I had were 2 small holes.

I had to stay in hospital for 4 days after the operation which was slightly frustrating but necessary. Not once I needed any form of pain medication which to me proves already that it's been a success and as of right now I've had no muscle spasms or problems breathing since. I am of course very sore still and much stiffer than normal in that area but I can cope with that.

Hopefully now in a couple of weeks I will be able to re start my Biological treatment and maybe get back to normal. My rheumatologist has agreed I can restart my treatment 2 weeks from tomorrow if there isn't any sings of infection in my new and old wounds. In the mean time I have been told I need to eat a very high protein diet to try and help promote healing.....which my body has a lot to do.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, that's excellent news but what a rough ride you've had to get there! No wonder things were so bad for so long and thank goodness for the extra-vigilant doc.

That's a great start to the year for you. I hope the resumption of the biologics goes smoothly and this time you can really get back on your feet. Good luck and thanks for letting us know the good news :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Blimey, what a lot to deal with. I'm glad you are home and a bit comfier. I really hope you get some stiffness improvement with the biologics and that life gets a bit easier ffrom now on, you so so deserve a bit of a smoother time after all you have been through.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm very pleased you're home again, and that the surgery seems to have been successful after all the problems you've had.

I hope you heal well and can restart your meds soon.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad to see they have finally got to the root of your problem, lets hope you can start your meds in two weeks. Hopefully this will be your year. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Glad to hear that it all went well, take care,
    Kirstyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sometimes the NHS is a marvel and this was one of those times, yes? I am so pleased that the 'culprit' has been found and removed - here's to a much better 2015 for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I thought I typed a reply yesterday but it must have not been submitted seems I was falling asleep while on my laptop....ooops

So far things have been good, In terms of pain in the area things have got worse but I was told things will feel like they're getting worse before they get better but the type of pain I can cope with, its consistent and is much easier to cope with than sudden muscle spasms. I have been having daily physio at home and will continue to have this for the next 2 or 3 weeks. The home physio was arranged before the whole operation but the appointment was brought forward seems now is the time to get things moving again and to try and keep as mobile as possible which will greatly help healing.

My doctor now wants me to have my injection on Monday at the full dose because the physio has been saying how good my progress is and how much better it could be if I were to have the injection now rather than in 2 weeks time. The main concern is infection risk but with daily swabs taken of all wounds and weekly bloods that should show up any bugs before I even start to feel or see the effects.

I hope that next week things will ease a lot pain wise after having my injection and I can slowly get back to normal. If anyone is wondering when I say normal I mean my normal rather than lucky normal where people can walk miles on end without any worry