Re-united with my other true love.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 13. Jan 2015, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw my rheumatologist this morning , who cheerfully set everything a-jangling as she prodded and pushed in various places. On her recommendation I am to take 20mg of oral steroids per day for seven days to see if they help to reduce my ankle and foot pain which may be due to fluid. If they do then she will increase my methotrexate to see if that helps to keep things under better control in that bit of me. My CRP and ESR were both below 5 but the Achilles tendonitis is a problem at the moment , and the ankle Xrays done last June show that both are rubbing on the bone growths at the back of my ankle joints.

I have also managed to lose eight kilos without trying so I guess that's a good thing. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Achilles tendonitis sounds very painful, DD. I hope that the steroids work well and reduce your pain.

And well done for losing the weight.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment (especially the weight loss and just after chirstmas - wow!! Well done). I hope the steroids help and that kind of course in a limited amount isnt as scary as being parked on them - how much methotrexate are you currently on? The bone growth achilles tendon rub sounds hellish, more putting your feet up and relaxing must be needed (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Your other true love? Nah, Pred's just your bit on the side :wink: I think I hope it helps but I'm not sure what is best outcome here - maybe the 'complete re-mould' that Mr SW is always advocating for me.

It does sound a good appointment and I hope good comes of it.

Eight kilos sounds quite a lot. I know you eat healthily so I hope it's just smaller or earlier meals - or all that running (I use the term loosely) round before Christmas.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sounds like quite a good appointment, DD, and congratulations on the weight loss, especially if you weren't trying.

Achilles tendonitis is not nice, in fact any mention of the word Achilles is liable to give me the shivers, as I had surgery on both of mine ( not at the same time ) many moons ago, pre-RA days, one due to wear and tear, and one due to rupture.

I've always tried to avoid oral steroids, but I hope they do the trick for you.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sounds quite a positive appointment DD lets hope the steroids help with the pain, well done on the weight loss I managed to lose a few pounds myself but not as much as you. Good also that your CRP and ESR were below 5at least that is something, hope thy can sort out the Achilles tendonitis for you. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sounds like a positive appointment overall and well done on the weight loss. Sorry about the achilles problem but hope the steroids help.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD you have so much going on, I hope the extra meds will help ease it all for you, its good to have a rheumy you can talk to..and listen..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, everyone, I came home from the hospital and fell asleep which is not like me. Then Mr DD took me out for a lovely lunch and we nagged things over. He was disappointed that she didn't take much notice of the OA but as I pointed out, that isn't her remit as such, although the damage caused by her remit is responsible. :wink: We then mused on how the answer to everything appears to be drugs, drugs and more drugs. I was offered the steroids (accepted because it is only for a week) but I refused amitryptaline (sp?) and gabapentin because I don't want to take anything else on a long-term basis, my poor old body has enough to process as it is.

The weight-loss has been unintended (and happened over a few months) but it has spurred me on to continue with whatever it is I haven't been doing. :) Lack of crisps is one feature, he sits and pigs at the week-end but I don't, I just turn up the telly so I can hear it over the munching. I am very fond of my raw veg, eat a proper breakfast every day (currently two eggs, scrambled) and cook from fresh every day (but do buy ready-made pies). I have been chewing more slowly, concentrating of flavours and textures, and have acquired the habit of not clearing my plate: if I am no longer enjoying what I'm eating because I am feeling full I leave it.

Things are still jangling after Madam's activities and my left knee is somewhat enlarged; luckily my masseuse is coming round this morning to inflict more discomfort - she'll sort that out! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    He was disappointed that she didn't take much notice of the OA but as I pointed out, that isn't her remit as such,

We do advise people to 'take another pair of ears' with them to appointments but mine often translates into another mouth bringing up irrelevances :roll:

I think refusing amitriptylene(Sp?) and gabapentin was a good and brave decision. How many chemicals can one body process? We take what we must but no point in taking unnecessary chances.

I guess the lack of crisps alone could count for the weight loss as they're basically a lot of calories covered in salt to make you thirsty....drink more....put on weight. Listening to his crunching though? Maybe a sound-proof 'crisp box' to plant over his head?

Chewing slowly is also a very good thing healthwise though Mr SW prefers the hoover method :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Enjoy the massage. It sounds lovely.

I also understand your logic with the meds - I think pain management is something that in the long term maybe you have to suck up and live with - plus, sadly, you do get used to working with it and living iwth it.

Crisps are full of oil too so cutting that out will help with weight loss. I tend to work on the empty calorie or full calorie basis - for each calorie are you gaining nourishment or not. I don't do this avidly but let it guide (most of) my choices. I notice that Mr LV is a keen consumer of empty calories like cuppasoups and instant noodles whilst I tend to go for more nutrient dense foods such as fruit, veg and eggs.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope the steroids help you good luck you don't need all that pain.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I tend to work on the empty calorie or full calorie basis - for each calorie are you gaining nourishment or not.

I made a rule for myself, years ago, that I would not take in calories I wasn't enjoying. So, if I really fancy a chocolate biscuit and we have none, I won't settle for a plain one. I just don't bother.
    Steven Wright