Its been a long time

Options
elsa56
elsa56 Member Posts: 98
edited 18. Jan 2015, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Happy new year to you all!!!
Was really glad when last year ended and hoping for a better one this year..
I cant remember the last time I came on here as things really got me down.
I went back to my doctor in September after putting up with a lot of pain numbness in my leg after hip replacement in December 2013, and told him I wanted a second opinion and I went to see another surgeon.
He told me I had muscle waste and suspected nerve damage and sent me for a US Scan that I had not had before and yes he found things that were wrong. Firstly I have Bursitis, Secondly Tendonitis and Thirdly I have a torn tendon that he believes is causing me the pain and pins and needles in my leg. I still have to lift my leg manually to get in bed and into a car and after sitting for even 10 minutes the pins and needles drive me mad.
The surgeon that did the op said that it was my back that was the problem and signed me off in July until a year was up.
On Friday this week I have got to go and have steroid injections in the Burser and the Tendon under US control which I'm not looking forward too.
Hopefully this will relieve the problem,, fingers crossed.
As for the torn tendon, I'm not sure if that will heal itself, but he did say he could operate on it.
My concern that I need to ask my GP is whether I could do more damage to the torn tendon if the pain goes away and I walk a lot more.
Anyone had these problems???
Sorry to ramble on but trying to be positive this year
xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Elsa. How lovely to see you but I'm sorry last year was such a bad one for you. I hope, with the new diagnosis, you can now be 'fixed'.

You are right to worry about what happens next. With so many things we have to get a balance between exercise and rest. Overdoing either can just create more problems. I'm sure your GP will be better informed than we are. Maybe you could ask to be referred to a physio. Good luck and please don't disappear again :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Elsa glad you have got a second opinion, it must be so scary for you, I think I told you I had a THR over a year ago...still got pain but like they said to you its coming from my back..this back and hip thing is so complex..I do hope the injections work for you, and bring some relief..you let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, I guess it's a mixed bag of news but at least you now know that there are valid reasons for why things have been as they are. I hope the injections help but I don't know about the torn tendon: reason' would suggest that overdoing things won't help but that has to be tempered by moving sufficiently keep things flexible. Hmmmm, it's not easy to know what to do, is it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elsa56
    Options
    Hi
    I did call my GP today and she said that the torn tendon will not heal itself and I should not overdo things. She said that the injections should be a big relief for the pain, so just got to wait and see.
    She did say that I could be in worse pain for the first week after until it settles :cry:
    The consultant that I have now is the top man, so I have some confidents in him. He said that if the injections don't work he could remove the burser and also operate on the torn tendon.
    When I found out about the torn tendon, I told him that I was dropped onto the bed when I went back in last December and that I was in agony after that. He said it is possible that it happened then but wouldn't have shown up under a normal x ray.
    That makes sense to me as to how it happened because what I feel now has been the same since I had the hip done..
    I will let you know what happens on Friday, I thinks I need pocket duties for this one
    Love Elsa
    xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you won't want me in your pocket, Elsa, as I'm on the pre-colonoscopy 'wash-out' stuff on Friday :x but I shall be thinking of you and hoping it goes well.
    Steven Wright
  • elsa56
    Options
    Hope you are ok sw after yesterday... I'm ok I worried for nothing, he was gentle and now just I have to rest up for two weeks to let it settle.
    How are you keeping dreamdaisy and Barbara? Hopefully you ok.
    Love
    Elsa xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Excellent news, Elsa :D I'm so glad it went well. So did my 'oscopies' yesterday, thank you. Please let us know how you progress.
    Steven Wright