food triggers?

Options
YWD
YWD Member Posts: 32
edited 16. Jan 2015, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone found specific foods that trigger flare ups? or conversely, foods that help ease things? i know cod liver oil etc was supposed to be fantastic (never used it myself), but just wondering what peoples thoughts were

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Forgive the tired brain, YWD, but I cannot remember what form of arthritis ails thee :oops: but I do recall welcoming you on 'Say Hello'. :oops: I know that acidic food such as pickles exacerbates my OA but for my PsA diet does not (and has never helped) improve my immune system: only having that suppressed made a difference for me.

We have members on here with auto-immune arthritis who are vegetarian, or dairy-free, or both, but there are some for whom IBS and Crohn's are further troubles. It really is a matter of trial and error to find what works for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I think cod liver oil, though good for OA, isn't much use for us auto-immuners. As for diet – it's a topic that keeps coming up and, although some swear by one thing and others another, there's no real evidence that it plays any part (with the possible exception of the 'nightshade' veg) other than plain healthy eating. This might help http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Healthylifestyle
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    If I have too much citrus my osteo-arthritis is worse. I can usually tolerate one glass of orange juice a day, but more than that makes things worse for me.

There's a lot of hype generally available and what one person can tolerate could make another person worse.

Listen to what your body is telling you. Have you thought about keeping a food diary (you have to be very honest though) and in that diary also keep a note of how your joints and symptoms are? You may see a link.

I use cod liver oil - that helps me. Plus of course all my prescribed pain dullers.

Try cod liver oil for 4-6 weeks, then come off it for a week-10 days. If your symptoms are worse the cod liver oil is working. If no difference don't waste your money on any more. That was advice given to me years ago by a physio. I tried it with various supplements.

If I run out of my cod liver oil within a week I am significantly stiffer.

Take care of yourself,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi YWD , some foods do to some people , but everyone is different , myself my RA is made worse by apples , oranges , grapes , strawberries , tomatoes , some red meat + few other things

some people have problems with gluten & milk products

do as GraceB said & `Listen to what your body is telling you.' dont know of any foods that help , cod liver oil you need to take from a bottle but its a nateral anti inflammatory
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I have my cod liver oil in capsules. Couldn't swallow liquid cod liver oil. :roll:
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • YWD
    YWD Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Oddly enough, tomatoes seems to be a trigger but it may just be in my mind.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you feel that might be the case then keep a record - tomatoes are vicious little brutes in the trouble they can cause. The only way to show a link or not is to keep brief notes of pain and tiredness levels when one food is included in the diet and then removed - it's a lengthy process but worth doing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Only one way to find out :) Stay off all tomato-based products for – say – a month and see how it goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright