Well it seemed like a good idea at the time

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 17. Jan 2015, 04:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my second intensive physio session today. Worked hard, physio was pleased, no change as yet but he could tell I had been exercising as instructed, all very difficult /painful/tiring as just as I thought we'd finished he said he wanted me to use the exercise bike. Next session in two weeks.
The problem. I can't get a session after 3.30 on a day that doesn't clash with meetings so I have an 8.30 slot and then go into work. Even better the session lasted for an hour and a quarter!

Not the best plan, struggled through a packed day and had to stay a bit late to finish something that had to be done ahead of tomorrow as it is linked to our budget for next year. You can guess how I was feeling by then.

BUT I have been sensible and I'm not going in until 10 tomorrow.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have this problem with physio. Last appt in this area is 3.30pm, but they do offer 8am slots. Needless to say they go very quickly.

It's exhausting having a physio session and then going onto work afterwards. Is there any way you could perhaps grab half an hour before you go into work so you have a mini rest?

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have foot physio today at the luxurious hour of 10.30am. I remember going to the early ones and the impact on the rest of the day so I concur with GraceB, is there anyway you could snatch a quiet few moments? Your sessions seem to be very long (as well as thorough) so make sure you pace yourself during and after. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom, Slosh. I was lucky enough never to have to combine physio sessions with a demanding job. You are conscientious about both the exercises and job and so deserve success with both. You are also very sensible and a good judge of what's possible and what isn't. I hope today is a bit easier rather than harder. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Well done Slosh you have worked really hard lets hope your efforts pay off soon. I am with Grace and DD with having a bit of a rest after your next one before you go into work, I hope this can be arranged and is of benefit to you. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all. My sessions are now very long and intense because I have been moved onto the long term caseload and so I'm now seeing someone more regularly. The trouble with popping home for a break before going in to school is tempting but I think I would find it hard to then make a move, plus where I go is part way between home and work. Yesterday (and this week) was very intense workwise as well. I went in an hour later today and have decided that now I know to expect a longer session I will do my best to avoid planning in too much work-wise on those days.

The rest of my team are great at keeping an eye on me, I trust them enough to not feel,I have to put on a brave/I'm fine face in front of them, and they will tell me when I'm overdoing it! I am currently under instructions from them to go home early tomorrow.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • YWD
    YWD Member Posts: 32
    Options
    My rheumy wanted me to go to physio sessions, but i simply couldn't take any time off work to do it and anything 'out of hours' simply isn't available...
    i know it's more important than work, but i do have good reasoning... if i take time off for such appointments, i have to take half day holiday, that's non negotiable. .. this year is my OH's 50th, i promised to take her away somewhere special for which, i need 13 of my days... in the summer, i have my kids for 2 weeks, so need 10 days there... i am already a day short on what i need, so more time off this year isnt possible.

Maybe next year :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Combining arthritis with life and work is a very narrow but slack tightrope, which is strung between two of the tallest skyscrapers in the world and we always negotiate it on a windy day - without a balancing pole. Yup, I'm feeling under the cosh this morning! :lol:

It's good you have a long-term programme, Slosh, I have a feeling that mine might be weeks instead of just a month or so but, as it's for my benefit, I will stick at it.

YWD, I hope you can get yours sorted, my next appointment is in two weeks at 7pm. :shock: Seeing as how I'm done for by around 4pm I'm wondering if I can make it - it's part of the challenge I suppose. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    You are combining arthritis, work and physio very well indeed. I hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Good luck with the physio DD, that is a late session and not a time I would fancy, hopefully you will be able to arrange future appointments at a more suitable time. Like you I think mine will be months rather than weeks, in a way it already is as I had my first session for my neck last May. No idea how long the leg sessions will last, just keep being told it will be a long time.

Had a phone call today about my OT home assessment, I answered the questions honestly and told the truth rather than putting a positive spin on how I manage at home. I was told I should hear back next week from an OT to arrange an appointment.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Slosh,Hope your app with home visit has a positive outcome for you,try and have a relaxing week-end. (((()))) Mig