Neurology outcome

Options
scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 20. Jan 2015, 04:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my appt yesterday. The outcome was as I expected: the neurologist thinks all is ok neurologically but is going to do a brain MRI due to my family history, just in case.

He was very interested in my RA and gave me the impression that the RA was the cause of my falling over a lot. He said I'd just have to learn to live with the symptoms.

While I'm pleased he thinks there is nothing wrong, I came out of my appt yesterday feeling patronised, dismissed, and very angry. I let the consultant make me feel like a waste of his time. I'm cross with myself for even mentioning it to the GP. Still, that's the way thing go sometimes. MRI in 3-4 weeks.

To top it off I started with the beginnings of a flare about 2 weeks ago. It was a fight between my hand and my knees, but it seems to have decided to concentrate on my left knee. This is my first big flare in about a year.

Living with disease is a funny old business: I'm relieved and dejected all at the same time. Some of that is the flare talking, I know. Things can only get better, right?!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Don't be angry with yourself, scattered. You have done nothing wrong and everything right. Sometimes things are not easily diagnosed and sometimes we all get unsympathetic and unhelpful medics. I still resent the gastro-enterologist who virtually accused me of wasting NHS time and resources after my GP had insisted, despite my protests, that my low iron levels required first an endoscopy then a colonoscopy then a barium enema. I did my level best to get out of every procedure so I could have throttled him when he implied I was actually instigating these things.

I think you have already learned well how to live with RA but these symptoms seem different, don't they? You were right to ask for them to be investigated and were just unlucky to get a consultant with no people skills. Let's see how your MRI goes and, meantime, I hope the flare subsides. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Just to wish you well, scattered. I, too,have experienced a doctor who had left his bedside manner at home. It still smarts.

You were absolutely right to mention it to your GP. I hope that your flare soon settles down.

Meg
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I hope the MRI scan goes well for you when it takes place. I think we've all come across one of these doctors who lack the tiniest piece of empathy with their patients. It's not your fault, it's his.

Hope the flare subsides soon.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Bedside manner or not at least it is good that he thinks there is nothing Neurologically wrong thank goodness. Good luck with the MRI let us know how you go, I hope your flare subsides soon (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Scattered its an awful feeling when you have an appointment like this, not sure about you but it only hits me has I come out and think why didnt I have my say...the first thing they learn them at uni now is bedside manner...maybe he was off that day..I hope you feel better very soon and good to know that the results were clear..good luck with the MRI.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    The neurology consultant I saw wasn't the most empathetic of doctors either, left me feeling as if I'd wasted her time and that my problems were my fault. Hope all goes well with the MRI.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi scattered ,hope you have a good week-end,sending hugs (((()))). Mig
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi scattered what exactly is the problems neurological wise?.
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'm feeling better about it now. It all boils down to this: the rheumatologist thinks the numbness and falling over is neurological and the neurologist thinks the numbness and falling over is caused by the rheumatoid. They can argue it out between themselves, I'll just get on with it!

Something (stress, work, the holidays, a change in wind direction) has kick-started this flare in my knee and presently my knee is the size of a melon. It is not very comfortable and my good old friend fatigue is knocking hard at the door. This, annoying and exhausting, is a familiar demon that I know how to cope with. It is oddly reassuring to be dealing with a beast I know, rather than the beast I don't. I can go through the old rigmarole of ice, pain relief, anti-inflams, rest, elevation, rinse and repeat, followed by a phone call to the rheumy nurse and, if necessary, a steroid injection. I know what I'm doing with this one :D Just wish I knew what started it...

Mellman - I started tripping and falling over a lot with no particular cause. My GP examined my feet and there are parts of them where sensation is different or not there at all. I also get dizzy and my eye sight gets very blurred at times. The GP wanted tests done in part due to my family history of neurological disorders (MS and CIDP).

Once again, you've all been fantastic. (())
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling more at ease with the situation now, scattered. You have, rightly in my view, handed over responsibility to those who should know. They will, hopefully, sort something out.

I'm sorry about the flare. That it's a familiar problem is no real consolation. I hope it improves soon. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Shattered right I understand now, I asked as I didn't understand exactly what you were dealing with, I suffer from quiet a lot of secondary neuropathic pain from untreated neck OA kicked off when I had a double knee op, oddly like you I trip a lot when its bad it seems to make my right foot drop a bit, I also get deep numbness and pins and needles when its bad, but I don't have anything else mind you even if I did my GP would probably write it off as hypochondria!, I hope you get your problem sorted out soon, it sounds like your getting the same treatment I have and thats they don't believe what you are telling them, even now with a formal diagnosis I still get treated like its all in my head yet it was lack of interests by the medical fraternity that's caused the problem in the first place, its like banging your head on a wall.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I probably shouldn't generalise and I am sure there are plenty of neurologists who have a great bedside manner but on the whole, neurologists are not known for their great rapport with patients.

Given your family history and your symptoms, it was definitely the right decision to be investigated by a neurologist. I'm sorry you came away feeling so dejected and sad. You've really been through the ringer but it sounds like you've had some time to process the information and I hope you're feeling a bit brighter.

Take it easy.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Let them fight amongst themselves - I've had this before with a super smart physio who left me wanting to slap his super smart face (and feeling quite satisfied when he was very wrong). I'm glad you are feeling brighter now and at least having the MRI helped to rule things out which is the important bit. Hope things settle and feel easier soon (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Hi Scattered. I relate to your experience of being pushed from pillar to post. In my case I have a rheumatologist who won't acknowledge anything apart from joints as being his problem - and that's inflamed joints only i might add - not wear and tear. Then the neurologist seemed to take everything very seriously and has run loads of tests on Friday including MRI of brain and neck and lumbar puncture, EMG and other electrode nerve tests for small fiber neuropathy plus a load of special bloods for Cryoglobulins, Hughes, Lyme etc. Still waiting for the results of these as it was only done on Friday. But the MRI came back clear - oh apart from some arthritis in my neck - which he said was just to be expected/ normal for someone my age (52) with RA.

And because the nerve conduction tests were all normal too he's now backtracking and suggesting that it's not a neuropathy as he had originally believed. Instead of trusting his original instincts that something is progressing in my nervous system he's now worrying that he's making a fool of himself I feel. So far my rheumy and the dermatologist have all bounced it back to the other so I have three consultants all playing ball with my symptoms and I'm untreated as a result. I think the neurologist was the best of them but, like you, I'm pretty fed up. So you're not alone. I also have a slow burning flare in my left knee and a lot of lower back ache once more. I feel sure this is relevant and the lumbar puncture didn't help (she had 6 goes at least before tapping!) but I know their eyes will just glaze as they tell me it's just "wear and tear" once more - without even looking let alone getting it checked out on x-ray or MRI. :roll: Take care. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade