Feasibility of part-time working

Options
2»

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you and so do I. If nothing else I have taken some pressure off myself, part of the problem is that I set myself high standards and have high expectations of myself, and get frustrated when I can't meet them.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I think that's part and parcel of what makes a good teacher, we care passionately about the young people we encounter and all too often put ourselves under pressure in impossible situations. When I look back at how I struggled for the 3 years before I finally went part time and then took early retirement I wonder how I coped :? . The answer is probably that I barely kept my head above water and any kind of personal life was the loser, luckily I have a remarkably tolerant, supportive and caring husband who picked up the pieces all too often.

I think that in being open with your headteacher and close colleagues you will have taken a big step towards creating a more achievable and sustainable work life. We are often our own worst enemies, and revealing our vulnerability often takes more courage than struggling on and damaging ourselves even more. Well done you on summoning up that courage, it's a way of grasping back some element of control in a really trying life situation.
    Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    That's a very encouraging email from your head, Slosh

And that's a marathon session with the physio but, of course, they will prefer to work with those who put in the hard graft because it is that that yields results. You are doing all you can to aid your recovery so you must be a pleasure to work with. (Translate it into teacher / pupil relationship – you know it makes sense.) I hope you don't suffer today for the 90 mins.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I said exactly that, teachers never mind how much help they give children who find things hard but try their best. Felt strange to have it said to me though.

So far feeling more positive than last week, fingers crossed it lasts though tomorrow.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hmmmm, there is much food for thought here. As I see it you and your pupils have kinda changed places, yes? They have been dealing with their difficulties with lots of help and encouragement from others (including you) but now that boot is on a different foot - i.e. yours - and it's far from easy to change the mindset. Why do I need help? Of course I don't, I've done this before and, OK, my body's a tad rocky but I can do it again but - but - but - no, I HAVE done this before and I WILL do it again but - but - but - etc. etc. etc.

Oh dear Slosh (adjust the lack of punctuation according to the mood of the reader :wink: ) I remember this confusion so clearly, but for what it's worth I reckon you are working hard towards what you wish to gain and I sincerely hope you succeed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Got it in one DD! I'm used to being the professional supporting others and making recommendations and changing places/roles does take some getting used to.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    But, paradoxically, will make you even better at your 'normal' role.

One more day to go, Slosh :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hopefully you will be right Sticky. I made it through today, although I was close to phoning up this morning to say I wouldn't be in but after taking 45 mins to get dressed (fatigue ) I decided it would be a waste of all that effort!

In jim-jams now and no plans to get dressed until late Sunday morning when I'm going to visit my daughter and grandsons.

Thank you all for getting me through this.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    Options
    It sounds like tomorrow should be a well deserved duvet day....a favourite dvd, plenty of warm drinks and snoozing.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's your own hard work and determination that got you through it, Slosh. We're just the admiring cheerleaders :D

So, a lazy day today and the grandchildren tomorrow. What's not to like about that :D
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Have a wonderfully relaxing day Slosh! It's the perfect day to be on the sofa :)
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Was/am very tired so for once I have been sensible and taken a couple of days off work to recharge. It was lovely to see my daughter and grandsons and got a load of hugs, even though as soon as I got back I went back to bed for an hour.
    Saw my GP today who was very happy to write a letter for me in support of my PIP claim and who said he's not surprised I'm struggling to work full-time.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    Options
    Glad you had some special family time over the weekend, I hope you're batteries are feeling a bit recharged now, it may take a couple of days to be in a state to cope some more. It sounds like you have good supportive GP there, hope the PIP application goes well.

Deb x