OA of hands and fingers

Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
edited 23. Jan 2015, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I have been made so welcome on here ... thankyou.
For those of you I haven't chatted with, I am 49 and newly diagnosed with OA in my hands. My ring finger and one thumb are severely affected and I have been offered two options... the first is steroid injections into my joints and the other is a joint replacement. Has anyone had the injections? I have mixed feelings about it, especially as I've been told that the more severe the damage the less effect the injections have ... any views?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sonia welcome to the forum, glad you feel so welcomed, hope you enjoy chatting to everyone.All the forums are very helpful and friendly,you will find that sharing experiences helps you to feel a bit better about your Arthritis.
    From Mod on Friday :)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Sonia,

Welcome aboard, but sorry you had to find your way here.

I have rheumatoid arthritis with some oa in odd joints. I have pain in several fingers but it comes and goes with the RA so I can't really help there. What I have had is 2 steroid injections into a shoulder joint for OA damage, they have both helped me considerably in terms of extended periods of pain relief. The injection itself was uncomfortable rather than painful, but it does ache for most of the next day or so. If you go for this option try to rest the affected joint for a couple of days so that the steroid has chance to "sit" in the joint area and start it's work.

No doubt there will be others along who have had a similar situation to yours and can give you some advice.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have OA in a number of places but not my hands or fingers (they have my other arthritis going on). I never found steroid injections of much use apart from one, which was into my right ankle and it did ease things for around three months. Steroids ease by masking, they do not remove the trouble but they do not always work. In your shoes I would opt for the replacement because that is a permanent 'fix' but I realise that is a big step. You have nothing to lose by trying the steroid , they work for some, they don't for others, and the degree of 'severity' of the OA has nothing to do with matters (the docs live with the theory, we deal with the reality). I wish you well, let us know what you decide and how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello, I have RA, and my fingers have always been problematic. As DD has said, steroid injections sometimes help and sometimes don`t. Personally, mine have worked quite well, for the most part, and I think you have nothing to lose by trying an injection first. Your fingers will ache once the local anaesthetic wears off, but you may then see some improvement.

Keep a close eye on your ring finger - mine swelled very rapidly one day and I had to go to A & E to have my wedding ring cut off.
  • bimble
    bimble Member Posts: 42
    Hi Sonia.
    I was diagnosed with OA in both thumbs in March. I had a steroid injection in just one thumb which did nothing - it was helpful to have the other hand to compare with. These things seem to affect everyone differently with no knowing in advance if they'll work. At my first appointment doc was all in favour of a replacement, but since then my mobility has improved (exercises,rest, avoiding certain movements, who knows?) so I'm glad I didnt rush into it. Something I'll consider in the future maybe.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.