trapizia.

jules5
jules5 Member Posts: 15
edited 27. Jan 2015, 15:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all hope you keeping warm in this awful weather .I asked you all if anyone had bad pain in their coller bone come shoulder. Apparently I have damaged my trapizia don't know how but still in agony 3 weeks late .now have to wear a special brace come sling .await orthotics making it .of àll the pain I have suffered over years ,this has to be the worse and most debilitating.but such as life we have to brush ourself down and get on with it don't we people . Kind regard to you all jules x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think I'm right in saying that this is the large muscle that runs down the neck and across the top of the shoulder, it helps us to keep our heads upright (tilt your head to the right, you can feel it pulling on the left and vice versa, well, I can 'cos I've just done it!) and it's one in which it is very easy to get tension knots and thus damage. We can inadvertently hurt our muscles in all kinds of ways without realising what we've done but the 'good news' is that now you know what's what and what can be done.

I guess the support will help you to keep that part of your shoulder still and hopefully that will help the muscle to relax, soften and heal. I doubt it will happen overnight though, what else have they suggested? Obviously pain relief ( if you are able to take it ) and what about heat? It may be worth covering your shoulder with a scarf or shawl, just to give a light layer of extra warmth - muscles like warmth. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    It might help to rest the affected arm on a pillow while sitting or lying, until you get the proper support. Shoulder pain is awful, and when it lasts it`s very debilitating. I used to walk about with my other hand supporting the elbow of the bad arm/shoulder, and keeping it close to my chest. ( this doesn`t work when you have to carry something, of course!)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I agree. Shoulders are complex joints and it's very difficult to rest them. Is it the joint(s) themselves or the muscle(s)? An orthotic brace sounds quite a long-term thing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    This morning I managed to pull my left trapezius muscle by leaning awkwardly on my left side to switch off a bedside light with my right hand. :roll: I've Voltarol'd it and have it wrapped up in my fleecy dressing gown. These things are easily done - frustrating isn't it? I hope you get your brace soon. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Ah is that what it's called? I feel your pain. I have managed to cause an injury on both sides thanks to being too over excited on the treadmill with my dodgy shoulders. I was told that heat packs are good and I've found them quite soothing. It depends on what you find suits you though and the mechanism of the injury.
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh no, Sophie, that sounds awful. :( I've done heat and cold and neither have helped to a noticeable degree, but the Voltarol and coco combo have. :wink: That will be repeated come bed time (which is imminent) and I hope that tomorrow will be a better day for both of us. DD