Never mention the 'R' word

scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 23. Jan 2015, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I knew it was a mistake the minute I said it, but I didn't expect it come back and bite me quite this hard. I foolishly muttered the 'R' word after my last rheumatology appointment: my DAS was low, my joints happy, my meds working. All was good in the RA world, at least.

Low and behold, 3 months later and things are no longer so rosy. I'm flaring, officially confirmed by the kind rheumy nurse who got me an urgent appt for this morning. A DAS score of 5.78, 20 tender and 15 swollen joints later gave me prescription for a 4 week prednisolone reduction. And a medication review. It's not the worst things have ever been, but it's not the best either.

Heed my warning: on no account mention the 'R' word, lest you wake the hibernating beast.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry you are flaring so badly - RA has a nasty habit of coming back to bite us if we get the tiniest bit complacent about it. It lies in wait for unsuspecting moment, nasty beast that it is!

Hope you feel better soon.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh scattered, you're so right! It disappears when we have an appointment and then sneaks in again when we're starting to feel confident. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh crikey, sneaky auto immune arthritis yet again does its stuff :( . I am so sorry but this how it is for some folk, yes? No matter what we do, what we inject or swallow, it will crawl under our meagre defences to hiss, spit and sulk once more, simply because it can. :|

All I can say (and I know it's very cold comfort) is that you have been here before, and things improved, and now here you are again: sorry, I meant here we are again. Don't forget we're here, Scattered, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben