Tough week

Options
Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 28. Jan 2015, 05:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's been a really tough week here - found out my much trusted GP is leaving the practice and going into some kind of private work, got turned down by the persistent pain clinic (apparently having physio means that I might get better from the OA so I don't qualify), although at least the GP has referred me to a therapy service instead to deal with the depression, and saw an occupational health doctor for work who just suggested dropping my hours. So still in the 'wait until you are old enough for a knee replacement and get on with it in the meantime' situation and facing having to start the whole process again with a new GP. As the primary wage-earner in our household it's a pretty big decision to drop my hours and lose 20-30% of my income.

I've been crying all week and just about managed to make it into work - thankfully I teach an amazing group on Thursday who really lifted my spirits and I had them first on Friday so made it in. Hopefully I'm progressing from tears to frustration now and will be able to think about the next step to try to get the op I need sooner than 5-10 years time...

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are, indeed, currently in a limbo familiar to many on here. Living with arthritis is not easy and sometimes it's much harder than others.

I'm sorry your GP is leaving. Many years ago I wondered how I'd cope without mine who was brilliant in all aspects of looking after someone with a long-term, painful disease. In fact, he was instrumental in getting me my TKRs. However, he left, the practice expanded and I can truthfully say there isn't one of the now 5-6 GPs whom I wouldn't want to see. New blood can be quite a tonic.

I'm sorry you weren't accepted for the Pain Clinic but that doesn't mean to say you never will be. Physio is one of the things they offer so it does make sense that they'd prefer to wait and see how that helps first. Physio alone requires a lot of time and input on our part if it's to work. Other techniques (eg meditation) require the same so maybe one thing at a time. I guess it's all more about learning to live with the pain rather than taking it away. (If only :roll: )

Trying to accommodate work and arthritis is a tricky situation. If you read 'Slosh's' threads, she is facing the same problems. I don't think there's any easy answer and no wonder you are depressed. Arthritic life is full of compromises.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hello Ladybrown,

I'm so sorry you feel down at the moment and so hope your spirits start to lift soon. The pain is just rubbish but the frustration can drive you wild and there's no pill for that! :roll:

I have learnt over the years that even if a much trusted GP/Consultant moves on that there's nothing to say that someone even better can't come along in their stead. I have lost two lovely rheumatologists over time but now I have the best one I've ever had and yet I was distraught at the time. You may find that there's an equally good GP just around the corner.

Please don't forget when you feel down that there's always the Free and Confidential Helpline number 0808 800 4050 at the top of the page should you ever need to talk to someone who really understands.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know all too well how dispiriting it is when a trusted GP retires or moves on but I also have experience of meeting GPs who are just as good - like all areas of life it comes down to whether their temperament and personality suits ours although it might take a little time to establish the rapport I find it can usually be done.

I found the pain clinic to be a complete waste of my time because over the years I have developed my strategies for coping. Pain is part and parcel of our arthritic lives and learning to live with it is far from easy - of course none of us want it but it's there and always will be. Physio is important because it helps to keep our muscles stronger which better supports the joints but it won't alleviate the condition as such, and certainly won't undo any joint damage. It helps us keep what we have for longer and that is important.

Like it or not (and I reckon none of us do) arthritis of any kind demands that we make changes to our lives to accommodate its unreasonable demands. I began my own little business just two years before mine arrived in 1997, and I flogged on with work until late 2012. I admire those who work, run a family, deal with the disease and everything else but the mental relief when I finally stopped was immense because that part of life's struggle was over.

It takes us time to adjust, to learn, to understand and to manage. Of the two I have I prefer my OA because it is up-front and 'honest' in the way it presents. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry you are suffering at present. It's awful when we hope to implement a plan of action and we get thwarted by various barriers put in our way. I can understand your frustration as you wait for a knee replacement.

I hope the therapy helps with the depression, and you get some benefits from it.

I have RA, and I've never been to a Pain Clinic, so not altogether sure if they help or not. Like DD, I have my own ways of coping, but they wouldn't necessarily work for everyone.

Hope things improve soon.
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone - as I'm sure you all experience its a real roller coaster at times! Hopefully the next week will be better. At least we've had some sunshine this weekend which helps. Kind of dreading going in to work tomorrow, but sure it'll be ok once I get there. Just got to motivate myself to get the marking done this evening....
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hi sorry I've taken a while to reply but I'm afraid by Friday I'm shattered which means I spent most of yesterday in bed as is usual for a Saturday in term time. Wish I had some words of wisdom/helpful suggestions for you .
    You say you have been to Occupational health, did they mention Access to work at all? At my last appointment I was told that I met the definition of disability in terms of the DDA and so was eligible for an Access to work assessment. I got in contact via job centre plus, answered some questions, and as I met the criteria I had a workplace assessment which reccomended some equipment that would be helpful along with guidance on rest breaks. My Occupational health assessment was also useful as that included suggestions on reasonable adjustments and I also have a risk assessment in place.
    You can also ask your GP about a temporary "reduced hours notice", prior to my surgery (on my neck) I was on these for about 8 months and then for 6 weeks when I made a phased return to work in September, with this you remain on full pay and it is not counted as sick leave. It's only a temporary solution but might be helpful.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just wondering how your day went
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Occy Health should recommend reasonable adjustments which your line manager has to seriously consider.

As for the age issue with a knee replacement? I was 44 when I had mine. Mind you, I did have to tell the consultant that my pain was unbearable and ask that if they didn't replace the knee they amputate. I'd got that desperate. I was lucky - they listened. I had a partial replacement. I now need my left knee replacing, my left ankle needs fusing or replacing and I need my lower spine fusing. All of this is on hold at the moment, due to circumstances I won't go into on here as this is your post and not mine.

In the meantime, try and keep as positive as you can. It's difficult I know. I've been there.

Keep posting on this forum. These wonderful people will support you, and give you their honest thoughts and ideas as to what you may wish to try.

Be kind to yourself.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    Hi all - thanks for your thoughts
    So far this week isn't too bad - Tuesday is always a pain because I teach 11-4.30 with only a half hour break so pretty tiring and full of codeine by the end. Decided to join slimming world last week and managed to lose a pound at tonight's weigh in so at least I am doing something to help myself! The Occy Health just said to reduce my hours and suggested that perhaps I could have an assessment of my desk in the workroom. Think it will have to be a 20-30% reduction in contract from Sept and try to teach shorter days. I'm up and down like a yo-yo but it's really helpful to hear from you all. And I have an amazing 2nd year A level class who just make my day 3 times a week. So it's deep breath and get through the rest of the year i suppose and take as many days/half-days out as I need to.

To be honest I've considered telling the doc I was thinking of taking a hammer to knee to get shot of it!! Will try everything and then if I still can't cope will have to forego dignity and fall apart for the GP... No intention of waiting till I'm 50 for the knee - at 39 and 9 years down the line I want the replacement before I'm 45. It'd be nice to have a few good years before the rest of me starts to fall apart :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Well done with the slimming. A good start. And well done 2nd Yr A-level class for keeping your spirits up :D I hope the adjustments go smoothly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When it comes to having new joints courtesy of the NHS our wants and wishes are immaterial. Replacements might be offered once the damage in the joint has reached a certain point - until then we have to wait until it does, which seems unfair but is increasingly the case. The surgeons often cite that new joints have a life-span of around ten years but, if you respect the joint and take proper care of it, it can last considerably longer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben