Knee X-Ray

Options
bluebunner
bluebunner Member Posts: 43
edited 29. Jan 2015, 04:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to the the GP a few weeks ago, about my very painful knees, right knee still suffering from knee replacement almost three years ago, left knee very painful and I know it is OA.

GP sent me for X-Ray and duly went, very quick these days aren't they, no sooner had I booked in and sat down in the waiting area and I was called in. Excellent service by my local NHS.

Had the knee X-Rayed, standing and weight bearing, pictured from the front, then lying on my left side so pictured from the inside of the joint.

I was then asked to wait while they checked the X-Ray was OK.

The Radiographer came out of his little room and asked me "Have you damaged you knee in the past?" I answered "only cuts and bruises". He said "well did you play football?" "Yes" was my answer.

"Well that explains it" he said.

"Explains what?" I asked.

Then he invited me to have a look at the picture.

Lots of wear on one corner of the bone, in fact almost worn right away. No wonder it hurts so much.

I have a further appointment with the GP on Tuesday next but when making that appointment I asked the Receptionist if the result had come back and she told me yes and the result was "some wear and tear".

I took a photo of the X-Ray on my phone and will show the GP on Tuesday otherwise she will not get the correct idea will she?

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bluebunner,

I think your GP should get a written report from the hospital even if she doesn't actually see the pictures .....but taking the photo is a master stroke on your behalf. Even more so if she doesn't receive the report in time for your appointment. Good thinking.

Hope your Tuesday appointment goes well.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    It was a good idea to take a photo but I'm not sure that it'll make much difference other than maybe to assist you in persuading your GP to refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon so that he can check it.

Neither GPs nor radiographers are the best at interpreting x-rays – they rely on what the qualified radiologists and orthopaedic consultants tell them. I hope this will count in your favour but don't get your expectations too high.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Youngsters never think about the future when they're belting round chasing balls etc. but this is what can happen. It's not fun, is it? I agree with Legs, your GP should get a full report and, if she referred you, should also receive copies of the Xrays for her information but well done on taking the picture! Let us know what she has to say, OK? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi all,

Saw GP yesterday, she read the report from radiographer, I showed her the photo, she asked had I ever fractured that knee, I told her I hadn't and she said there is very little cartilage left between knee cap and femur but no change since last X-Ray of same knee two years ago, so no need for surgery, especially knowing how the knee replacement right knee has turned out.

I am relieved because I do not want to go through another knee replacement.

Take care all.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Good. I'm glad it's turned out as you wished. Thanks for the update.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright