New diagnosis of arthritis.

Options
pamela3
pamela3 Member Posts: 11
edited 25. Jan 2015, 14:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Am not sure which but have it in my neck and spine.I am allergic to Ibropofen,co-codomol,difluconec so dr has left me with paracetomol and referred me for physio on my neck.This week as been another challenge pain from my knee to my ankle,it helps if i walk on concrete[ie the yard] and wear my shoes or sit down.Seems odd if it's arthritis.Stopping at the knee.

I was born with cerebral palsy and hemiplegia so assume this as not helped me getting it younger than some.I'm 53 and had to finish work through my good arm beginning to wear out when I was 45.I wanted to work until I was 55.

So now I am trying to accept that my life is to change again[I am struggling]I think my mind still thinks I'm 20 but my dr. said years ago I was about 60 because of the cerebral palsy.
I at least still have a sense of humour. :)

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Pamela, and welcome to the forum, though I`m sorry you have another diagnosis to go with other problems you have.

I don`t think any type of arthritis has any great respect for age - I have RA, and it can strike even the youngest child.

Have you not been given any idea which arthritis you have? There are many different branches, but osteo-arthritis is usually treated with painkillers and anti-inflammatories, while those of us with the auto-immune types are normally under the care of a rheumatologist, and subject to a whole c***tail of drugs. Has your GP referred you to a rheumatologist?

If you cannot tolerate ibuprofen etc. then you will need good pain control, which might entail something stronger than paracetamol. I hope you will get some benefit from your physio.

Do keep posting, and let us know how you go on.

Tezz x
  • pamela3
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.I was so taken aback with the diagnosis.I am assuming it's OA the dr. offered me Ibropufen and co-codomol which of none I can take because of the side effects I cannot bare.I do tolerate most of the side effects of the cocktail of drugs I am on for other things.But tinnitus and being sick I cannot tolerate.

Don't know how long the waiting list is for physio.I assume it's quite a wait.
    I will keep talking to my dr. about different treatments if physio isn't working.

Well another long Saturday evening with not much on the TV.I do admit to liking Doc Martin.

Have a good evening all.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, it's good to see your name on this board even if it is for the wrong reason. :( As theresak said arthritis has no respect for age, people in their teens and twenties can begin OA which gives food for thought.

I am fortunate in that I can cope with the meds I have to take, I have acquired tinnitus after more than a decade of taking a drug called suplhasalazine but that bothers me only at night when the world goes quiet. Arthritis can affect one or two joints, or many more - we are all different in how we are affected by our versions of the beasts. Of course the CP and hemiplegia won't help matters but may not be a factor in your developing this. As you cannot tolerate the stronger pain relief then heat may help, either a hot water bottle, a wheatie bag or just a warm scarf draped over the painful bits can help to ease things a little.

As your GP is dealing with this I suspect you have osteoarthritis because it comes under their remit. There is not a great deal to be done until a joint replacement may become a possibility but that can take years to happen. Until then we have to make the best of what we have, no matter how much or how little that is. I hope you are tucked up all warm and snug - my mum used to like Doc Martin - I'm a Midsomer Murders girl meself! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pamela3
    Options
    Thank you DreamDaisy for your replyand advice.
    My sister got arthritis in her 30s and had to stop running marathons.I do understand it affects people of all ages,still comes as a shock though to any-one whatever age.
    I am sorry you have tinnitus now it is annoying.Sometimes I wonder if the side effects are better or worse than the condtion itself.

I bought a heatholder snood and it is helping my neck.I also have joint warmers and socks.

Used to watch Midsomers myself.
    Have a nice day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're more than welcome, this is what the forum is about. It does indeed come as a shock, I was relieved when my auto-immune arthritis was finally acknowledged by a rheumatologist but devastated (and very angry) when the OA was confirmed in April 2011. Learning that one could have more than one version of the disease was not a surprise (I'd been on here for a while) but it still felt unfair. :lol:

I am glad you have some nice warm things to wear - I have the opposite trouble in that I am hot all the time and can't bear more heat on me! :lol: There's a new Midsomer tonight but I reckon we'll be Last Tangoing instead as Mr DD is not a Mid fan. DD
  • pamela3
    Options
    oh! dear can midsomer or Last Tango be recorded,i have a Humax box and usually record the side with adverts in so I can fast forward.

Last Tango parts are filmed locally to me in Stockport.I am only a bus ride away.I might watch'Call the Midwife'

Apart from that think I will try and do a bit of my jigsaw with kittens and cotton on.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Years ago I don't think doctors were as careful about what they said as they are now. Mine told me, when I was in my early 20s, that I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30. I'm 68. I do use a wheelchair for walks in the countryside, at airports and anything that entails a lot of walking but that's all.

As for the pain, we're all different. I prefer walking on grass but not the tufty kind – I have to be able to see where I'm putting my feet. Without my surgical shoes I can hardly walk at all, though. I have to wear them indoors and out, summer or winter.

Accepting changes is a very difficult but ongoing part of arthritic life. The more adaptable we are the easier it becomes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pamela3
    Options
    surgical shoes sounds interesting.I have only had this knee to ankle pain since Wednesday but it's barely going and to be honest I don't want to mither my dr. again.I've been coming and going to see him since October as first he thought it was a bad migraine in my head.,then another sent me for an eye test.The optician said why had the dr.sent me it was definitely my neck,hence back to the dr.then for a neck x-ray and the arthritis was diagnosed.

So the knee adds to problems.I now realise I've had arthritis for a long time but thought it was side effects of my tablets.
    Pleased to hear your dr. was wrong about the wheelchair when you were younger stickywicket.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You wont' be 'mithering' (aka 'bothering' for us Southerners :wink: ) your GP, far from it. I suspect that you are so accustomed to coping with physical challenges that you don't recognise a new (and unnecessary) one when it occurs. I think that happens for many on here, we are so used to things being grim that we don't recognise when things are not on because we try to adapt and cope because that is what we do.

I'm off to bed having not Midsomer Murdered in any way, shape or form but no matter, it will be repeated. :wink: I hope you have as good a night as possible. DD