Visitors who use our facilities.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Feb 2015, 05:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am sure you immediately understand the facilities to which I refer but, if not, I mean the lavatory.

We have a 'lid down' policy in this house because we both agree it looks cleaner and neater than the alternative. Mr DD has always been assiduous about leaving both the seat and the lid down (and I am thankful for that but he did so when he lived on his own) and I never flush without the lid being closed (I saw a TV programme once about the clouds of germs that soar with glee into the air surrounding a flushing lavatory - I think not). My young pupil turned up today and asked to 'borrow' the loo - I said that was fine as long as she returned it and she giggled (we later discussed how that request could be improved, after all I am a teachah of litracy skils and they xtend beeyond reeding and ritting. :wink: )

I have just visited said facility and found the lid up. :shock: Now I do understand that this is an utterly trivial fact of life :( but I was peeved. :oops: I then wondered how you feel about this matter: if I visit someone's facilities then I leave them as I found them (in my case if lid up then flush with lid down but then raise lid).

So, a simple poll: are you a lid up or lid down person? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly about 'leaving as found' though my natural inclination is to close lids. This is odd :? as I haven't been able to close mine for years as the raised seat precludes it. (So sorry, can't vote, DD.)

When we remove my raised seat for parties (Men, in particular, can be totally thrown by it and I've heard them clearly attempting to remove it. Why?) I do try to keep the lid closed but it doesn't stay that way and is usually 'fully' open when I go in, indicating a male last user :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Lid down for me I totally agree with you DD it looks neater and cleaner, also looks better for potential buyers for my flat. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Reminds of the rhyme printed on the wall of the bogs at RAF Binbrook.
    "It's no use standing on the seat - the crabs in here can jump six feet."
    So most of us peed through the window.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    you would not like my house DD. I regret to inform you that I am lucky if the toilet is flushed!

Only my oldest boy seems to make an effort and he closes the lid and shuts the bathroom door behind him. This is because the toilet is very close to my 2nd son's bedroom where I often fall asleep so I asked him to do so.
    Trouble is with such a weak bladder, when I have to rush to the toilet at night, both pushing open the door (it makes an irritating squeaking noise against the lino as it sticks) and putting the lid up can cause a problem but I'd rather that than leave the door open and lid up!

I also heard about flushing with the lid down as the germs spread everywhere.

I think your pupil thought you meant her to leave it in a clean state. :D

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Totally agree with you DD. Cleaner and tidier. I can't stand the thought of loo bugs floating around the bathroom.
    Christine
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,925
    Options
    Hello DD
    we have a shower chair that stays over the toilet as on its own the toilet is to low so the lid stays up.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I prefer it down, so that`s what I do - hubby doesn`t always remember, but I don`t count it as a grievous sin unless the seat is left up.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    With 3 grandchildren I am a lid up, then I can keep peeking in has I walk pass to see if its been flushed..but hate to see the toilet seat up.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Down - all because of the aerosolised poo particles that escape when flushed otherwise. I hate it when visitors leave it open. I always shut the lid in public toilets too.
  • pamela3
    pamela3 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm definitely a lid down as most of my visitors are.I saw that programme too where germs escape the loo if lid is up when flushed.Yuk!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I shut the lids in public toilets too. I can understand why males may forget to flush (mine often does) and he also fails to turn off lights when he isn't in the room, probably because his offices are well-lit and he doesn't pay that bill. I've given up following behind to switch off because he pays the bill so if he wants to rack it up that's his concern. :wink:

For those who have the raised loo seat in permanent pride of place please ensure your toothbrushes are not stored too close to the lavatory. DD
  • applerose
    Options
    I keep my toothbrushes at the opposite side of the bathroom to the toilet and I have caps on them.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I reckon that is a very sensible approach - better safe than sorry, yes? DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Aaargh NO! No toothbrushes anywhere near it as we have a separate bathroom.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Ditto.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Down!!!!

BUT....post operations UP might be necessary. Bending down to raise them can be too painful. :?

In the QE the loos do not have lids??? What's that about? and what's more the loo brushes do not have 'bottoms' to their stands :shock:

e010.gif
  • applerose
    Options
    No lids and no bottoms? :shock: I've been in a loo (can't remember where as it was quite a few years ago) where there were no seats either. Travelling through France about 10 years ago, we stopped at a couple of public toilets at service stations. I queued then, when it was my turn, I went in to a cubicle to find there was only a hole in the ground. I came straight back out thinking that must be a male toilet. I went in to the next empty cubicle and it was the same. That was pre-RA so no idea how people who are less abled were supposed to manage. :shock: :?
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That is a very good point, Frog, I hadn't thought of that side of things. I love the Cosgan!

Mr DD and me have a new problem: all of our toilet lids are of the soft-close variety so we find ourselves slamming down others' toilet lids which are not. :oops: It makes us sound bad-tempered. :lol: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Our new one is soft close DD and it's infuriating waiting for it it go down ever.....so.....slowly before you dare pull (or push - and THAT hurts!!) the chain :roll:

A lot of public loos are like that Christine, but not all.

You have to lean on your stick and try to angle yourself back a bit. Not great for women with mobility issues particularly :(

Did I tell any of you I accidentally went into the gents a few weeks back...didn't realise till I was washing my hands and had a look around and saw some 'odd looking' hand basins:oops:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Mind you, some of the pictures are quite, shall we say, androgenous.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    Options
    Oops! Easily done. :lol:
    Christine