Starting the year with fibula fracture

Options
brightlinda
brightlinda Member Posts: 16
edited 12. Feb 2015, 13:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, bit of a tale of woe 3 weeks ago I started experiencing pain in my shin and instantly knew it was not my arthritis. My other half took a picture with his thermal imaging camera which confirmed a fracture of my fibula, same fracture as 2 years ago other leg. My GP was more proactive than 2 years ago and as a result I now have a plaster cast until March. I have been given arm crutches which because of my arthritis are a real challenge and I am now experiencing heightened pain in my arms and elbows. I am experiencing better success with a chair on wheels which allows me to move around the house, but I am finding it severely limiting. In amongst all this I had an appointment to see my rheumy who suggested I have a bone density scan. So I have a full calendar for the next few weeks. I am hoping that I get a few answers that will possibly help me avoid this biannual event. I am currently taking Omeprazole, Naproxen, Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate. Has anyone out there suffered any similar events.Looking forward to the spring Linda

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Linda its lovely to meet you
    But sorry your year has as started so badly, how hood that your hubby had such a camera, it has speeded things up of for you...I sympathize with the crutches, I am suppose to use two,because of a back prob but am down to one because of shoulder arthritis..I haven't had any fracture's but I do hope it heals well , and its good to have the bone scan to rule out osteoporosis..let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh crikey, that isn't good news, is it? I reckon a bone density scan is a good move, just in case (and I do not want to be a Cassandra about it) osteoporosis is on its way: it's a risk for many of us for all manner of reasons :( . Full marks to your husband for having the kit and forethought to take that image, and hats off too, to your GP, for being so proactive. I reckon you are in for a tough time but, hopefully, further damage will be averted.

This time last year I was struggling with my upper left humerus which I had fractured in three places thanks to tripping over my new rollator. That is the only fracture I have had to date - do you have any idea how you did this? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Ouch! That sounds like ongoing pain.

I can't offer any advice re crutches as I've never been able to use them but I can see they would get at your shoulders.

Yes the bone density scan is a good idea. RA predisposes us to osteoporosis as do some of the meds we take for it. I hope you don't have it but knowledge is power. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh dear, I`m so sorry the year has not started well for you. How fortunate you were able to get treatment so promptly.

A DEXA scan is a very good idea, in case of osteoporosis. I had one last summer and it was quite straightforward.

I have been on crutches a lot, and became quite an expert on them after two lots of Achilles surgery - but that was before RA, so I didn`t have that complication. We used to put foam round the bit your hand grips, to alleviate soreness, but I would struggle now on crutches as my shoulders are not in good shape.

Good luck!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Linda

I am so sorry to read your posting. Thank goodness someone had the bright idea to send you for a dexa this time. I only hope you are not going to say that you were not offered one when you fractured 2 years ago. If you were not, that is appalling. I hope you get the dexa appointment very soon.

I do not know how long you have been on Omeprazole but this med can unfortunately thin bones if used for more than a year.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Ohh, sorry for that bad start of the year. I know being on crutches sucks, especially if you’re working are you? If not, occupy yourself with your hobbies, read books, listen to music. Don’t hesitate to accept help.I welcome and appreciate the proactiveness of your GP, you’re lucky to have him. Osteoporosis doesn't cause any symptoms until a bone is broken. Dexa scan is a definitely a good idea to check possibility of OP, especially when you already have RA. It’s the best test so far to predict your fracture risk, to forestall many future fractures. Let us know how you get on. My best wishes.

Anna.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, we are more than a week on since your post and I am wondering how you are getting on: as you haven't replied to our replies I suspect that things are not going that well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben