Toilet question

Options
lizward
lizward Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Feb 2015, 10:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip (also in several other places) and they won't replace my hip until I lose a lot of weight.

I can live with it most of the time but there is one particular issue that is becoming a major problem and that is going to the loo or, more specifically, what happens afterwards. I can get up easily enough but there is something about the bottom wiping movements (sorry!) that makes my hip click and click several times, then turning round to wash my hands is a real problem too, also getting into bed (have to gradually bring the left hip up and it takes ages and hurts), even getting into the car because again the left hip has to come up. It does seem to be bottom wiping that actually triggers the problems because once I am out and about moving it quickly gets a lot better, and on the way to the loo I am always OK, but coming back from it is a real problem.

Any suggestions welcome .....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi from the MOD team and welcome.
    there are many people here who suffer from arthritis and many topics covered and advised upon.
    If you encounter any technical difficulties just ask and I'm sure there will be help
    MODA
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and believe me, this is not an unknown problem on here, because quite a few lack the physical ability to twist and turn as required, or have wonky hands that don't work as they should. I believe I am right in saying that wiping aids can be bought from disability shops, do you have any near you so you could go and see what they stock? A benefit that I had was a raised toilet seat, given to me by Social Services after my first knee op (not a replacement or revision), that made the sitting and rising after more comfortable and might save some useful energy for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It could be you are twisting your body slightly. When you have a hip replacement they advise you not to twist the body or cross the legs during recovery upto 12 weeks (plus a few other no no's). This is to prevent dislocation so obviously the slight twisting movement does something to the hip joint.

this is the only thing I can think of. Try to keep your body straight without twisting if you can. Not easy I know.

I used to have to get someone to lift my leg very carefully to get into bed before my op. I no longer have that problem having had a THR.

Good luck,

elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Liz and welcome from me, too. My OA came as a result of my RA but I've had both hips replaced very successfully.

I confess I've never paid much attention to the 'musical notes' my joints can make but toileting can definitely be problematic. Do you have a raised loo seat? They can make a huge difference – in my case it's the difference between being able to sit down or not. I also have a frame that goes round the loo, usually residing in the garage but vital when things get extra rough as I then use the arms of it to haul myself up.

Bottom wiping, too, can be problematic. There are several varieties of aids on the market. I guess it's less embarassing to buy online but, if you steel yourself to ask in a 'proper' disability store, you'll be able to see better which type would work for you. Again, I have one that is rarely, but then vitally, used.

When my hip(s) have been bad I've always found turning necessitated lots of little steps rather than one or two big ones. The big ones are possible but painful whereas the little ones seem to deal better with the situation.

For getting into the car, have you tried sitting on a supermarket bag? It's easier to swivel round. I've also been known to use my 'good' ankle to raise the problem leg ie give it a bit of support underneath. Your best bet though is to do strengthening exercises. When the muscles get flabby they don't support the joint well and so everything hurts more. Try here http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Self-management/exercise-and-arthritis

If you haven't ever enlisted the help of your local Adult Social Care people why not look them up on your local government site and give them a ring. You could ask for an Occupational Therapist to visit you and see what help you needed. They are very kind.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright