shoulder problems

Options
magnolialady
magnolialady Member Posts: 23
edited 16. May 2015, 19:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had a shoulder rotate cuff op pl ease.would be grateful for info as I am due to have one in next month or so.i know after effects are long.hope for some info .thanks for all helpers on forum as I think you do a good job.nice to hear about other peoples probs .

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello magnolialady
    Sorry I wont be much help, it is a very common op so there should be lots of info out there , I see SW has given you a link..let us know when the op is then we can lend our support..
    Love
    Barbara
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi,

no personal experience here either, but as Barbara said it’s a common operation and you will be given painkillers to manage discomfort after surgery. Your arm will be protected in sling for some period, as given by your doc. This is often not followed, despite clear instructions to remain in a sling and not to use the arm. Your rotator cuff is being held to the bone by a few stitches. If you move the shoulder, you run the risk of causing failure of the repair because the sutures will saw their way through your rotator cuff. Recovery is lengthy process after such operation, as it involves significant pain and stiffness. Physical therapy could assist you in successful recovery. I hope you find below link helpful.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007207.htm

Thanks. Anna.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sorry to be so blunt, Anna, but if you've no personal experience how do you know all this about it?
    Steven Wright
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    SW : My ex-colleague went through this type of surgery, last year. This sling note was quoted based on his experience and many others I have seen. Apart from that, I had done a little Google search on internet and found a good link which I thought I should share 8). No harm, I guess.

Anna.
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Mangolialady, thanks for putting this question and Anna thanks for the sharing info and link. Our doctor is planning this kind of surgery for my wife on her left shoulder. She’s been in a pain for long time due to inflammation to the bursa (sorry forgot the term) in the shoulder. Despite of medications and physical therapy, pain relief is not satisfactory, and doctor has recommended a surgery.

I would agree with Anna on sling, it’s not good idea to stop using a sling before prescribed time; you may simply postpone your recovery time or can even worsen the damage to your healing shoulder.

Chris.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    AnnaMilton wrote:
    SW : My ex-colleague went through this type of surgery, last year. This sling note was quoted based on his experience and many others I have seen. Apart from that, I had done a little Google search on internet and found a good link which I thought I should share 8). No harm, I guess.
    Anna.

Thanks for the clarification, Anna :D I think it's perfectly reasonable to recount a friend's experiences. It was the rest that seemed odd as it sounded very authoritative yet you'd said you had no personal experience of it. Maybe another time you might consider putting a quote either in inverted commas or in italics as then it's more obvious, at least to pernickety old so-and-sos like me :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My experience is nearly relevant. :wink: In January 2014 I broke my left upper humerus in three places after tripping over my rollator. All the docs I saw in orthopaedics were confident I would heal in six weeks - it took twelve, thanks to my PsA and the meds I take for it.

There are no hard and fast rules for any post-op recovery, some get it done in no time at all whereas find it's a much longer process. Some find the surgery of little help, others find it life-changing. You don't know how it's going to be until it's done to you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I am having a bespoke shoulder replacement in March. I have been told it takes three months to knit together and then there is the hard work of physio and exercises. I was also told recuperation takes about one year in all.

When I have the op I hope to start a thread about it on here, although typing will be difficult! ;) Perhaps we will be having our shoulder ops at a similar time and we can compare notes!

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Both Elna and mangolialady, good luck in advance for coming surgeries. Wish you an easy recovery following this op and a quick return to routine life!!!

Chris.
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    Options
    Thank you so much to those of you who have given information regarding this surgery. I have just joined the Forum for precisely that reason, as I have been told I need this op. I have been putting it off, for various reasons, but now the pain and decreased mobility are making life very difficult.

Good luck with your op, and I look forward to reading your experiences Elna.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Cate,

It is no fun with a dodgy shoulder is it? I have to help my left arm such a lot with my right arm in order to get things done. I am not expecting miracles post op but hope at least the pain goes. This has been ongoing for years, only worsening as time passed. A few falls landing on that shoulder has not helped either. I did have an arthroscopy last year and it did not give me much relief. It did give the surgeon a good look round inside though;)

I shall be in touch. ;)

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you Chris for your good wishes.

Elna

• magnolialady
    Options
    Thank you for all your help re rotate cuff op.i went to pre assessment yesterday but I have slight raised nlood pressure first time ever so it has been put back.got to see dr to get it checked again before another pre assessment.will let you know how it goes.many thanks for help.it is a great help.to know what after effects there is.i know itts I long job.but heigh hotime goes quick enoufh as it is.thanks everyone.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to hear from you again. I am sorry that your BP was raised but, given the circumstances, that was hardly surprising (my rheumatologist calls it White Coat BP and I think she has a point). I hope you can try again soon and that your assessment can go ahead as it should.

Yes, it is a long time for recovery but it takes a long time for our joints to get into the states they do. I think it's easy to forget that - we want to be fixed and we want to be fixed now! :wink: We'll support you as much as we can because that is what we do. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I had this before one pre-op. I was told I'd have to have three separate BP checks by my GP in three separate weeks. After two normal ones my GP said enough but the hospital insisted on the third. All was well, both with the third and the op. I wish you a similar outcome.
    Steven Wright
  • magnolialady
    Options
    Thanks for replies have been put on stronger antibiotics 1500 aday igo to my gp 3time a week and do my own b p he has a machinethat does it all still at 185 over 90 go back next week as I would have finished meds by them and hopefully get a true reading that hospital will accept.then all systems go will keep you updated.many thanks for input.magnolialady
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I do hope things settle down. Just one thing - the BP machines we can normally buy are not as trustworthy as the old-fashioned ones that the nurse / doc has to pump up manually. I was told that by a nurse. So, if your electric readings are still high.....it might not be :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • magnolialady
    Options
    hi there am still waiting for go ahead for my shoulder op.doc found I had high blood pressure 185/95 he has put me on a low tablet and am still trying to get used to it.saw him today and pressure is now good.160/70another 2 weeks to see if ok then can go ahead for pre assessment again.i found this pill makes me very drowsy.can sleep 10 hours at night then still another 2 during day.it makes me quite woosy.so am going to take it at night to see if it makes any difference.doesnt effect my meths dose anyway. thanks for being there everyone.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help with any BP advice. Mr SW does take a BP tablet and I don't think his sleeping habits changed (A bit like a cat – either exercising to the full or asleep :wink: ) but there are several on the market.

Good luck with the op.
    Steven Wright
  • magnolialady
    Options
    Just to let you know at last I have had my pre assessment again for my rotate cuff opon thursday passed wjth flying colours just got to wait for the important date.love tnis forum as I can relate to lot of the problems we all share.keep well everyone and chin up summer is nearly here eh.blood pressure is 120/80 thats a big diffetence eh .
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :D:D:D It certainly is. Well done, magnolialady, and please keep us in the loop.
    Steven Wright
  • weejim1961
    weejim1961 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Magnolialady, I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I had my rotor cuff repaired in my right shoulder 4 years ago. It was supposed to be done by arthroscope but as the tear was quite bad they done open surgery about 3 inch scar. Had to keep sling on permanently (night & day) for 3 weeks, which was really frustrating. Then after that lots of physiotherapy for about 8 weeks. I had a slight setback with really bad nerve pain down arm, so they went in with an arthroscope and done something which fixed it. My only problem now is I have a small tear in my left shoulder, but because of all the NHS cutbacks I will have to wait about a year for an operation. Although it is nowhere as bad as my last one so I can cope with it for now. All the best with your operation.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.