Visited the hospital today

Options
markm49uk
markm49uk Member Posts: 11
edited 22. Apr 2015, 12:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all,

If you missed my introduction last month then I am a 43 year old father of 6 who is suffering from severe osteoarthritis of the hip after fracturing it 10 years ago.

Today I went to see the consultant at my local hospital - to be honest I was totally unsure about what I expected him to say but in my head and after reading some comments on here I assumed I could be in for a fight to have any work done given my, relatively, young age.

Well after some manipulation of the leg to test rotation, restriction and strength (which I am now paying for with pain - thanks doc) he basically said right do you want this sorting ? We discussed options but my case is complicated by the earlier fracture and DHS fixture which means the only real option is for a total hip replacement.

After discussing this briefly with my wife I decided that I need to get some normality back into my life so made the decision to proceed - so he filled out the waiting list documentation and that was it.

I left feeling a little shocked and must admit filled with a little trepidation having had work done on the hip previously I know that the recovery is quite hard work at times and the burden I will place on the family in the first few weeks of that make me feel a tad upset.

However, fingers crossed, this is for the best longer term and will hopefully give me a better quality of life for the next 20 years or so.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, for what it's worth I think this is a brilliant outcome - no cavilling about age, weight, we can't do it yet etc. etc. etc. - straight in and it will be sorted! Congratulations, I think this is wonderful news and I am pleased for you.

Now, the practicalities. We all know that recovery can be hard work, and it's rate varies from person to person, but keep you eyes on the prize and it will all be worth it. I don't think you will be a burden on your family, family is there to support and care for one another and this will be a good opportunity for your children to learn about a different side of life. Your hip has taken years to get to this state, recovery will take months but that is still quicker than years, yes? If you take care of your new joint it should last you a good length of time and think of the boon of much reduced pain and better mobility - what a gain that will be! DD

PS Any visit to the hospital for work on hurty joints or physio usually results in pain, I'm still feeling the effects of my visit yesterday.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I think that sounds a really good outcome, so I`m pleased for you. I haven`t had a hip replacement, but any surgery calls for patience and will-power in recovery, and I`m sure your family will be happy to help.

Hope the pain eases soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome form me
    I am much older at 64, I have had one hip replaced is will be 2 years in July..I know yours wont be straight forward but , you are doing the right thing..when I had mine done there was a young lady at 35 having hers replaced, and she was so pleased she had gone ahead with it, pain is pain and you just want it gone
    I do wish you well with it and any questions just ask..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm so pleased for you :D I reckon you have a good surgeon there. A lesser one might have seen your history and ducked out of it. The really good ones love a bit of a challenge.

Yes, you will be quite dependent on your family at first but that will be good for them. They can learn new skills in helping and caring and you can show them that surgery is not something to be frightened of. (Even if you have to act a bit for that :wink: )

Thanks for the update. Good luck with it all and remember we're here to help if we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • markm49uk
    Options
    Just to update - received a letter on Thursday with a date for my op - 26th May!

The op has also been farmed out to the private sector for some reason - not complaining about this mind.

Strange, now I have a date in my head, I have found that I am trying to convince myself that I don't really need the operation and that I can manage the situation without the need for all the pain. Then my wife pointed out when I mentioned this to her that the reason I can 'manage it' is that I have basically reduced my levels of activity to the minimum possible in order to reduce the pain. On reflection she is right of course and even with the reduction in activity the gradual march of OA continues.

I have a physio pre-op meet on the 26th April - to discuss the op, outcomes and I guess exercise regime post op.

I then have an appointment on the 5th May with the consultant and his team - I assume this is to check everything is ok and perhaps take further x-rays maybe?

Anyway having had pins inserted & removed previously I do have some understanding of what the experience will be like post-op but must admit I feel really nervous now - after all it is a major op and I am 'losing' part of me.

I'll keep the thread updated as I move forward.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    I think you have just the right attitude towards the procedure.

Most people would be worried and anxious, but you know how restricted your life has become. That together with you being in your early 40's as well as having kids you know needs sorting.

You have a good clear timetable ahead of you to 'look forward to' (!) leading up to the big day.

Best of luck from me and yes please do let us know how you get on.

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome from me as well.
    Things are moving fast aren't they? That's good.
    Your wife is right about you not doing so much and hats why you have less pain.
    We al have to pace ourselves.....just do a certain amount, stop, start again for another short time
    Some are better at this than others :oops: :oops: :lol:
    Good luck with everything
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Mark
    I felt the same when the date of my op got nearer..it is all so over whelming its no wounder our brains tell us to back out...good for you going for it.I do wish you well with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • markm49uk
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words - one question i do have and will probably ask at the pre-op assessment is do you think the new hip will be ceramic/ceramic? I was told by my doctor that this is likely the case given my age but am not sure - thoughts ?
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Sounds like you have a very good surgeon there, I understand how you were thinking you don't need the operation, none of us want surgery and will try to convince our self otherwise. I myself need spinal fusion done within the next year (Hopefully) I can't count how many times I have convinced myself I don't need it done yet maybe things will get better or maybe I can just manage as I am but the reality is they would not offer surgery unless it really is necessary.

I hope the operation goes well for you and your recovery is a good one, just think of the reward, less or no pain, regained mobility, better quality of sleep and overall a much better quality of life. I'm sure your family will be more than happy to support you during the recovery phase, I know it can be hard to accept help and up until a year or so ago I wouldn't even let anyone get me a drink let alone anything else but now that things are far worse and I have accepted help from others it does make life that little bit easier. I'm sure the physio will get you up on your feet and moving very quickly, once you have made that first important step things will only get better from there onwards.

Good luck with the operation and let us know how you get on!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Oh Mark I did exactly the same, tried to convince myself I didn't need the op despite being in vast amounts of pain. I was given several dates before I finally said yes to the operation (The final time the secretary sighed and said you DO need this operation) but I had to get myself into the right frame of mind before agreeing to go ahead.

The op was very straight forward, I took in my I pod and enjoyed the peace and quiet (I have 5 kids although only 3 live at home), fed well and hot chocolate was brought to me at night-luxury. Recovery was only difficult in that I still felt the need to do everything at home.

The relief from the pain was worth it and 6 years later I still appreciate the difference (my other hip has gone now).

I also felt sad that I was losing part of me.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • markm49uk
    Options
    I think you are correct - just to 'test' myself on Monday I decided I would take the children into school. At first I thought it would be fine - after all it's only a total distance of 300m there and back.....

By the time I was halfway back I was beginning to regret it!

It took 36 hours for me to feel normal again. Well normal as in constant groin pain, stiffness and the the dread of standing up in fear of the electric shock like pain!

At least my mind is made up - I definitely need it sorting so I can get my life back.